Poll on Edsall's future at UConn | The Boneyard

Poll on Edsall's future at UConn

If Edsall wins 3 games or less next year should he be fired after year 3?

• Yes.

Votes: 72 32.9%
  • No; he should get a minimum of 4 full years.

Votes: 91 41.6%
  • No; he should not be fired before the end of his contract.

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • No; he should be fired now.

Votes: 37 16.9%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Edsallites were very vocal and supportive of Edsall through most of the year even though the record, stats, and eye test were clearly showing Edsall is a sub-par to bad coach. Now that year 2 is over, I am curious to see what most of the boneyard thinks about Edsall's remaining future here at UConn.

Reaction Score
If he makes us look stupid next year again, we can't give him year 4.

How do Memphis, Temple, UCF and Cincinnati hire superior coaches, as if it's so easy?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Because they're in Alabama, a better & more fertile recruiting area? Lower academic restrictions?

Not sure about the academic part but these would be my guesses.
You would think we could get some of those kids because of what we have to offer ... a school with better academics, a more high profile conference, etc.

Reaction Score
One wonders after you incorporate the buyout monies for our subpar coaches, if even expense wise, we be better off paying the market salary and getting a good coach.
..................and start over from square 1 again? No. You have to give him a little more time. Throwing more money.........................WE DON'T HAVE, to get another new coach, when the same issues face the program is INSANITY.

Reaction Score
Why is it easier to recruit at UAB than UConn?
Because they're in Alabama, a better & more fertile recruiting area? Lower academic restrictions?

Not sure about the academic part but these would be my guesses.

Different world. They were able to accept Partial Qualifiers on the reboot for one reason... They have 35 seniors graduating (30 of them RS Seniors and mostly JUCO). (In no way does that minimize the job Clark did). Guess we'll see how his recruiting was going forward after graduating almost a third of the team.

Reaction Score
I’m an Edsall supporter, but I do wonder if it had to get this bad. How are we so devoid of LBs and end up with a defense that literally didn’t stop anyone at any point?

Reaction Score

How do Memphis, Temple, UCF and Cincinnati hire superior coaches, as if it's so easy?

Anyone else remember when we lost to Temple in 2010 and the Yard went nuts because we lost to a MAC team? It's amazing how the fortunes have flipped for these 2 programs since then.

Reaction Score

It seems to me that he gained a very negative reputation because of why and how he left UConn after the Fiesta Bowl. at the end of RE I That team had a great year for a UConn football team and had great potential for the following year. Edsall showed zero class in leaving UConn for Maryland without (as I recall it) even flying back home with the team. Really, do you think a coach, who did that to a team he had just led to an appearance in a major bowl game, inspires confidence in a HS recruit? IMO, not likely. UConn should have never rehired him.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

It takes competent athletic and school administrations, things we have not had for a long time.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We have a group of people here that if their boat was taking on water would jump into shark infested seas before attempting to bail it out. The big picture demands he gets at least one more year to show progress.

The correct answer isn't even on the poll. As for Temple, they've been building for the last 7 years while we've been chasing our tail.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’m an Edsall supporter, but I do wonder if it had to get this bad.

It didn't, it was Randy's choice. But I think he didn't think it would be this bad.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that he gained a very negative reputation because of why and how he left UConn after the Fiesta Bowl. at the end of RE I That team had a great year for a UConn football team and had great potential for the following year. Edsall showed zero class in leaving UConn for Maryland without (as I recall it) even flying back home with the team. Really, do you think a coach, who did that to a team he had just led to an appearance in a major bowl game, inspires confidence in a HS recruit? IMO, not likely. UConn should have never rehired him.
Most coaches leave before the game. At least he stuck around to coach them

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think we need another poll. "Will you renew/buy season tickets next year?" The results of that one will no doubt be overwhelmingly negative and could drive a decision, one way or the other, to the coaching staff. Same ol' same ol' in 2019 is not acceptable. Not after this year. And if UConn gets an idea that they are losing customers, then a change has to be made.

Reaction Score
That was a bug not a feature. Biggest game in program history and we didn't get 100% from our head coach. His resume needed that game.
We were never going to win anyway

Reaction Score
I think we need another poll. "Will you renew/buy season tickets next year?" The results of that one will no doubt be overwhelmingly negative and could drive a decision, one way or the other, to the coaching staff. Same ol' same ol' in 2019 is not acceptable. Not after this year. And if UConn gets an idea that they are losing customers, then a change has to be made.
Do you really think a poll is needed? The program is looking at long term

I agree with the sentiment that RE needs to show improvement. He's taken this thing down to the foundation. Next year, anything less than forward progress and he's gone.

I think you get back to 3-4 wins next year and, and then bowl game following year. Anything less he's gone, anything better is gravy.

There isn't a coach that will come to UConn that can realistically get 6 wins next year...

Reaction Score
Edsallites were very vocal and supportive of Edsall through most of the year even though the record, stats, and eye test were clearly showing Edsall is a sub-par to bad coach. Now that year 2 is over, I am curious to see what most of the boneyard thinks about Edsall's remaining future here at UConn.

Can we get a better coach? We been talking about the dumpster fires at Rutgers and Maryland, but they have one thing going for them - they are P5...Our dumpster fire is a wildfire.

Reaction Score
Why is it easier to recruit at UAB than UConn?

Lets see, High school football is king in the south...some of the stadiums here for high schools look better than some northeast college stadiums. Academics - if you are breathing you can enrolled at UAB...(a friend said that, I'm just repeating it, not sure of what the requirements are for UAB.)

Reaction Score
I suppose it depends on the circumstances. I don’t see a change occurring - however, if Addazio became available...considering the ties to the area.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom