Indy or AAC?

• Independence

Votes: 67 62.0%
  • AAC

Votes: 41 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
If you could choose, would you rather UConn stay in the AAC (hypothetically) or continue down the path towards independence?

Reaction Score
I'm going AAC. If we pull off a nice indi schedule, then that'd be awesome. But the deck is stacked against us. I'll go with the bird in the hand over the two (or none) in the bush.

Reaction Score
I'm going AAC. If we pull off a nice indi schedule, then that'd be awesome. But the deck is stacked against us. I'll go with the bird in the hand over the two (or none) in the bush.

Fair. The risk is a lot less in the AAC, but the rewards for (successfully) going independent are much higher in my opinion

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you could choose, would you rather UConn stay in the AAC (hypothetically) or continue down the path towards independence?
Just to clarify, is the choice the AAC for FB only v. Indy? If so, I'm going to cede my vote to uconnbill.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Since we know that "most of the AAC media deal is for football" I'd be okay with staying. I'll take "most" of the $7M (which is actually less) plus the $6m that ww are project to get from the NBE, plus another $2.5M from SNY for our T3 rights. So we'd be right around $15M for media rights. That's a nice statement that differentiates us from the G5.

Reaction Score
Since we know that "most of the AAC media deal is for football" I'd be okay with staying. I'll take "most" of the $7M (which is actually less) plus the $6m that ww are project to get from the NBE, plus another $2.5M from SNY for our T3 rights. So we'd be right around $15M for media rights. That's a nice statement that differentiates us from the G5.

I would assume that football membership would also include a cut of the bowl money.

Reaction Score
AAC. Learning that we can in the short term make more media money from football independence changes nothing. We will not survive without attracting recruits and putting fannies in the seats, and both of those are going to be very tough to do outside a conference.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Fair. The risk is a lot less in the AAC, but the rewards for (successfully) going independent are much higher in my opinion
@Guapo, what do you think the rewards will be? I'm not looking for an argument but just wondering what your thoughts are on the issue.

Reaction Score
@Guapo, what do you think the rewards will be? I'm not looking for an argument but just wondering what your thoughts are on the issue.

More revenue and games against teams people in Connecticut have more interest in seeing

Reaction Score
Voted for indy, but best case is AAC through 2020 and then indy starting in 2021. Need time to put together the independent schedule. there are so many intangibles associated with staying in the AAC. Would it be as a full football member with bowl opportunities and payments? How much money would UConn get from AAC vs a SNY contract?

Reaction Score
The rewards for going Independent are playing New Mexico State and Liberty as much as possible. Prostituting the team to SEC bodybag games, and competing for nothing.

Reaction Score
More revenue and games against teams people in Connecticut have more interest in seeing
The best case independent schedule would be a couple of home-and-homes with mid to lower level P5. A couple of money games where UConn gets $1M+ to travel to SEC, B1G or B12. UMass, Army, local FCS that draws interest, BYU, Liberty, NM st., and fill the rest with CUSA, MAC. $2.5M from money games and then another $1M+ for SNY and the team is covering some costs.

Reaction Score
AAC. Learning that we can in the short term make more media money from football independence changes nothing. We will not survive without attracting recruits and putting fannies in the seats, and both of those are going to be very tough to do outside a conference.

This is fair argument; however recruits and fannies weren’t coming in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Those are buy games, like Wagner, that we (and every other school) play every year.

Don’t be a doofus.

That’s not being a doofus that’s being realistic. Wagner plays one of those a year. We’ll be playing 3-4 at least just to fill the schedule and pay the bills. There’s no appeal in that.

All those “interesting” teams that people want us play? You mean, Buffalo, Liberty, and NMSU? Maybe some Sun Belt. That’s the kind of team more often than not that will be visiting the Rent.

Reaction Score
The best case independent schedule would be a couple of home-and-homes with mid to lower level P5. A couple of money games where UConn gets $1M+ to travel to SEC, B1G or B12. UMass, Army, local FCS that draws interest, BYU, Liberty, NM st., and fill the rest with CUSA, MAC. $2.5M from money games and then another $1M+ for SNY and the team is covering some costs.

I’m ok with this, although I’d argue we could fill out another p5 game or two with 2 for 1’s

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom