Poll: How Disappointed Are You, Really? | The Boneyard

Poll: How Disappointed Are You, Really?

How disappointed are you by no expansion by B12?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Simple question.

I'm not super disappointed, as I have always felt we were a very poor cultural/geographic fit for B12. Don't get me wrong, I'd take the $30 million, but nothing about it made me feel particularly optimistic going forward compared to other, previous nut kicks.

Reaction Score
I'm not particularly disappointed, mostly because I saw this coming from 3 miles away.

On a long enough timeline if you're still not seeing any concrete information from any verified sources (and we never really did), something weird is going on. It became pretty obvious pretty quickly that the Big 12 was trying to extort more money out of Fox/ESPN without adding additional schools. Appears they succeeded.

But the Big 12 sucks anyway. All those schools who are going along with whatever Texas/OU want are going to learn, sooner or later, that they just blew a chance to be proactive and insulate themselves for when their 2 big names leave.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I don't fit into any of the categories. I am not very disappointed but not because of the description listed. I am not very disappointed because life is no different than it was two days ago. We play in a 12-team league one step above mid-major and one step below major. I just get to stop worrying that Cincy and Houston will be imminently announcing their departure.

Reaction Score
kJscbmh.png

Reaction Score
I've become so conditioned to expecting the worst in CR (Rule #1) that this almost feels like a win.

Do we still have serious financial obstacles to overcome in the future? Of course we do - but we already had those problems.

The fact that our situation didn't get worse keeps our athletic department alive for another day. I'm disappointed, but also feeling a sense of relief.

Reaction Score
Simple question.

I'm not super disappointed, as I have always felt we were a very poor cultural/geographic fit for B12. Don't get me wrong, I'd take the $30 million, but nothing about it made me feel particularly optimistic going forward compared to other, previous nut kicks.
I didn't see "super disappointed" as an option. How do you start a poll and then start the explanation with a description which wasn't an option in your poll? Do you think you are better than everyone else?

Reaction Score
I didn't see "super disappointed" as an option. How do you start a poll and then start the explanation with a description which wasn't an option in your poll? Do you think you are better than everyone else?

I guess I felt like "crushed" was the same thing?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Primarily, I'm resolved to our fate.

I didn't think we were going to be invited to the Big 12, but if nothing else, the thought of movement in the realm was reassuring.

Things now settle into cement - for the next decade, we're in the American and we're going to have to cut the size of our athletic department.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Next time let's do a poll with no description, because these shouldn't be the reasons why we are disappointed or not.
We take the next invite to a P5 that we can get. It's that simple. I'm somewhat disappointed, only because of the drawn out process and the fact that it turned out to be completely pointless and, in the end, only got our hopes up.
If you're "crushed", then our leadership is not to blame, considering that NO SCHOOLS WERE INVITED.
If "not at all" it's because you weren't expecting to get in.
If Louisville getting in over us is a steel toe to both testicles, then this is merely a sack tap from a classmate in middle school.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Primarily, I'm resolved to our fate.

I didn't think we were going to be invited to the Big 12, but if nothing else, the thought of movement in the realm was reassuring.

Things now settle into cement - for the next decade, we're in the American and we're going to have to cut the size of our athletic department.

Agreed, and the Big East exit fee $$$ goes away for good after the 2017-18 season. I would imagine a lot of things will be on the athletic budget chopping block after that. I don't see how certain programs will be perpetuated, and recruiting could suffer across the board. You have to try and maintain it at least for football and men's BB, but every other sport likely suffers or gets cut.

Women's BB will likely remain a national power at least as long as Geno cares to stay, because the program recruits itself, but even that may not last. If Geno sees that it will inevitably suffer a slow decline, does he bother to stick around for that to happen, or does he retire while we're still on top?

Some of our teams that are used to flying charter may have to learn what life is like flying commercial. The move to add a men's lacrosse program probably suffered a death blow yesterday.

All I can think of now is the scene from the movie "Major League" when the Indians start flying in the beat up old propeller plane with smoke billowing out of the engines.

Reaction Score
Yesterday was nothing like when Louisville to the ACC was announced.

I said this exact same thing earlier today! I think I was in a haze for like a month when that happened.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Not very, but that was because I didn't really believe expansion was going to happen.

Reaction Score
Not very. The money is nice but the whole thing felt shoehorned.

Reaction Score
Next time let's do a poll with no description, because these shouldn't be the reasons why we are disappointed or not.
We take the next invite to a P5 that we can get. It's that simple. I'm somewhat disappointed, only because of the drawn out process and the fact that it turned out to be completely pointless and, in the end, only got our hopes up.
If you're "crushed", then our leadership is not to blame, considering that NO SCHOOLS WERE INVITED.
If "not at all" it's because you weren't expecting to get in.
If Louisville getting in over us is a steel toe to both testicles, then this is merely a sack tap from a classmate in middle school.

Fair criticism. I feel like polls are a bit boring with straight answers but I think that's fair.

Reaction Score
I'm kind of numb to it at this point. No expansion has been a near certainty for weeks, so there was no shock factor like with Louisville or the Pitt/SU departures.

Like Fishy, I'm resigned to our fate at this point. And caring less and less by the day . . .

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It depends if this was the last chance or not. We really need the revenue and media validation as well as the ability to recruit FB as a P5 member.

B1G or ACC would have been more crushing. Getting into the P5 is top priorty, so this stings a little more than if there were better options.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Almost every day since 2011 when we got passed over I ask myself "Why us?" and shake my head in disbelief, it's a reflex at this point.

Reaction Score
I'm more disappointed with the current situation we are in overall, not with the B12's decision. No real surprises with the B12's not expanding, but it was a nasty reminder of how FUBAR our current station is.... and apparently will be for the foreseeable future. It's not sustainable long term, and UConn will ultimately begin cutting spending/supporting certain activities in the athletic department. There are Freshman playing varsity sports at UConn today whose sport will likely not be offered by the time they graduate.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I am pleased with four outcomes:

1) no other schools were moved to the BIG 12 over UCONN
2) our leaders handled the transition application process with class and poise, unlike many of our competitors
3) we remain in the best G5 conference and have the opportunity to showcase our talents on the national stage for future realignment conversations, ideally after our football has improved and/or we attain AAU status
4) we received a lot of positive national attention through the process

I am disappointed with two outcomes:

1) the loss of revenue and P5 prestige
2) having the opportunity to see Texas and Oklahoma lose at the Rent

I am resolved to one outcome:

1) beating the crap out of BC in November

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
That's it, for me.

I am our of the car wash business, for good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom