• Sloane Stephens

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Venus Williams

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thought I would try my hands at a poll. I voted for Madison Keys since I think she is playing the best at the moment but any one of the 4 could do it and it would not surprise me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My heart is with Venus, but I have to go with the winner of the match between Keys & Vandeweghe, which I give a slight edge to Keys in what I believe will be a tremendous battle.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My heart is with Venus, but I have to go with the winner of the match between Keys & Vandeweghe, which I give a slight edge to Keys in what I believe will be a tremendous battle.

Apparently, they met 2 times prior in the last few weeks with Madison winning both times. Coco may be coming in too high and I think that will hurt her. I think Madison is a little better equipped to handle her emotions although Coco has improved greatly in that area.

I don't see Sloane winning since she often plays lackluster during matches and also may be intimidated by Venus

With a Madison Keys - Venus Williams final, I think Madison's easy power will frustrate Venus who may want it too much?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Apparently, they met 2 times prior in the last few weeks with Madison winning both times. Coco may be coming in too high and I think that will hurt her. I think Madison is a little better equipped to handle her emotions although Coco has improved greatly in that area.

I don't see Sloane winning since she often plays lackluster during matches and also may be intimidated by Venus

With a Madison Keys - Venus Williams final, I think Madison's easy power will frustrate Venus who may want it too much?
While I agree with your analysis, Coco did take out the #1 seed in straight sets yesterday and she may be the fiercest competitor of the quartet of Americans. I believe Keys should prevail, but it certainly won't be easy.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While I agree with your analysis, Coco did take out the #1 seed in straight sets yesterday and she may be the fiercest competitor of the quartet of Americans. I believe Keys should prevail, but it certainly won't be easy.

I agree it will be hard fought but I don't necessarily equate outward emotion to competitiveness. You can be a great competitor without outward displays and that may be preferable in tennis where control is as least as important as aggression. Since I cant discern the level of competitiveness, I try to keep it out of my thinking.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree it will be hard fought but I don't necessarily equate outward emotion to competitiveness. You can be a great competitor without outward displays and that may be preferable in tennis where control is as least as important as aggression. Since I cant discern the level of competitiveness, I try to keep it out of my thinking.
I agree that it can be difficult to gauge competitiveness, and certainly Madison is no slouch or she wouldn't have made it this far.

Last year, when I first saw Coco play she was a fist pumping, screaming competitor who struggled somewhat to control her emotions. Yesterday, other than breaking a raquette in frustration, she demonstrated more of a quiet determination and control in taking down a really good player in Pliskova. She also comes from an extended family of world class athletes, where competition was a way of life. It should be a great match.

Reaction Score
Great observations so far. I'm quite surprised that Venus is the favorite among us to win it. Personally I think she's the most vulnerable of the remaining four. There's really no overwhelming favorite here, but my ranking in order of most likely to least likely to win is:

Madison
Coco
Sloan
Venus

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great observations so far. I'm quite surprised that Venus is the favorite among us to win it. Personally I think she's the most vulnerable of the remaining four. There's really no overwhelming favorite here, but my ranking in order of most likely to least likely to win is:

Madison
Coco
Sloan
Venus

While I picked Madison to win for reasons given above, I am surprised and interested to hear your reasons why you think Venus is the most vulnerable. I think Sloane is far more vulnerable since her game is often uneven. Just watching her quarter final matchup, she really played down to the competition for much of the match while Venus played a very high level match against Kovitiva who played really well herself.

My ranking would be

Madison
Venus
Coco
Sloane

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I really think it's a crapshoot. I mean, it depends on which "player" shows up at the time of the match. Venus' serve and ground strokes can abandon her at any given time. Sloan has no experience at this level deep in a grand slam (I don't think she's ever made the semi's before). Coco just simply outhit Pliskova, but not sure she can keep it all together against Keys. And Madison looks to be in great shape, but she's coming back from a wrist injury that seems fully healed but... you never know.

I'm just so excited. The sentimental part of me wants to see Venus win. She might be the most likable champion since Chrissy. But it will make for must see TV regardless. Go USA!!!

Reaction Score
IMO, Madison beats Coco. It should be great match in that they both hit the ball hard and have fairly consistent ground strokes. Will give madison the edge in foot speed which could make a difference on some of the wide balls. My guess is the key for Madison will be first serve percentage and assuming she serves well she will win.
Venus will likely beat Sloane. Venus has been having an extraordinary year and there is no reason to suspect her level of play to diminish in the semis. Venus probably has a meaningful advantage on her first serve. Sloane has obviously playing very well but it will be tough to beat her role model on this stage given her experience. Should be a fun match to watch.
Can't call the finals until after the semi's. If Venus has to play a long match it could impact her chances in the finals. She looked worn down at Wimbledon.
Regardless of what happens today ....all four will go home with a ton of positives from this years Open as will all their fans.

Reaction Score
I really think it's a crapshoot. I mean, it depends on which "player" shows up at the time of the match. Venus' serve and ground strokes can abandon her at any given time. Sloan has no experience at this level deep in a grand slam (I don't think she's ever made the semi's before). Coco just simply outhit Pliskova, but not sure she can keep it all together against Keys. And Madison looks to be in great shape, but she's coming back from a wrist injury that seems fully healed but... you never know.

I'm just so excited. The sentimental part of me wants to see Venus win. She might be the most likable champion since Chrissy. But it will make for must see TV regardless. Go USA!!!
Sloane made the semi-finals in Australia 2013. She beat Serena in the 1/4 and lost to Azarenka in the semi

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sloane made the semi-finals in Australia 2013. She beat Serena in the 1/4 and lost to Azarenka in the semi
That was prior to her stress fracture and subsequent foot surgery when Stephens had a much more powerful serve. Right now, until her foot is completely stable, her serve is maybe at 75-85%.

Reaction Score
That was prior to her stress fracture and subsequent foot surgery when Stephens had a much more powerful serve. Right now, until her foot is completely stable, her serve is maybe at 75-85%.
EricLA said he didn't know if she had ever made the semi-finals in a slam before. I was just say she had. Right now she claims her foot is fine and she is pain free. I will leave it to you to judge him stable it is. I have no idea

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
EricLA said he didn't know if she had ever made the semi-finals in a slam before. I was just say she had. Right now she claims her foot is fine and she is pain free. I will leave it to you to judge him stable it is. I have no idea
She is certainly moving well, but during one of her matches one of the announcers discussed the fact that she was still a bit cautious about getting on top of her left foot (the one that was injured) with a big 1st serve and was serving at 70% or so, just trying to get the 1st serve in.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would have given Stephens the least chance to win....... wouldnt have even favored her to get to the final..... shows what I know :oops:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I would have given Stephens the least chance to win.. wouldnt have even favored her to get to the final..... shows what I know :oops:

Same with me. Sloane showed a fight I never really saw in her before. She will be a tough out in the final.

Reaction Score
I don't watch tennis, so I just picked a name I like: Sloane Stephens.
May be I should buy a lottery ticket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom