political posturing by the catholic schools, my best guess | The Boneyard

political posturing by the catholic schools, my best guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't think they mind all the football stuff so much, they don't like it, but basketball is their baby

what they don't want to have happen is for them to be stuck with all these distant and weak basketball programs should UConn and / or Cincy bolt. So they're being proactive. If we leave, they want to choose their own new partners.

I think it's as simple as that, and I don't blame them

Reaction Score
I disagree. I think Tulane was the final straw. I'm shocked 7/10ths of the league, if not more, are unhappy about a league addition - who voted them in? How? But I think they are gone - they are not going to benefit from being associate with the FB teams - they have seen the TV revenue projections, and they can get that on their own. If they stay, they are forever tied to this rag-tag group. Their ability to do this ends on June 30th.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I disagree. I think Tulane was the final straw. I'm shocked 7/10ths of the league, if not more, are unhappy about a league addition - who voted them in? How? But I think they are gone - they are not going to benefit from being associate with the FB teams - they have seen the TV revenue projections, and they can get that on their own. If they stay, they are forever tied to this rag-tag group. Their ability to do this ends on June 30th.

not sure anything I said conflicts with anything you said

"they want to be able to control who their new partners will be"

Reaction Score

Tulane sounds like a straw man. There are a maximum of 11 voting members of the Big East (its unclear what Temple can and cannot vote for). Back when Tulane was added, there were technically 12 votes since Louisville was still around. But my understanding was that Cincinnati, UConn, and Louisville all abstained from the Tulane vote due to possibly leaving the conference. So it sounds like Tulane was voted on by the 7 Catholic schools, USF, and maybe Temple. Or basically the Catholic schools admitted Tulane.

But the reality is that many of the quality basketball schools already had left (Syracuse, Pitt, WV, ND). It had been rumored that if one of UConn or Louisville left, then that was it. Once Louisville left, that was it. Tulane is just a convenient excuse.

caw

Reaction Score
So I get Marquette and Georgetown complaining and even Nova a bit about RPI hits and whatnot, but PC, SJU, DePaul, Seton Hall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom