Point Guard Ty-Laur Johnson almost refuses to play first half because lack of tights | The Boneyard

Point Guard Ty-Laur Johnson almost refuses to play first half because lack of tights

Reaction Score
I guarantee it wasn't really about the tights. Kid's are sick of playing for this clown and have no respect for the program top to bottom. Tights were juat the last straw, so to speak.

Reaction Score
A lot of speculation this was about compression shorts to help with an existing groin injury Johnson had. Regardless (but especially if true), what on earth was Payne thinking addressing this with the media? What upside does he have here? How does anyone benefit from him going out with the intent to embarrass one of his athletes to the media?

This dude is a clown who has absolutely no business running a basketball program.

Reaction Score
Johnson had a groin injury which kept him out late in their game against Indiana which could've been the reason he wanted compression shorts and didn't feel comfortable playing without them. Weird for Payne to publicly question the kid's heart and embarrass him like that.

Reaction Score
I don't really get why Payne said this to the media. No matter how you look at it it's a bad look for him. Either he's trying to make a kid look bad that had an injury, or he's completely lost the respect of his players. If it's the latter it doesn't look great for the player either, but no matter what Payne looks bad here.

Reaction Score
If Payne is consistently saying dumb stuff in the media, throwing his players under the bus, AND not getting good results, why does he still have a job? There's no way the university sees this as building the sort of culture the program wants/needs, and this is a pattern of behavior at this point.

Seems to me like he could be fired just for performance, and when you couple that with a failure to connect with his players and a failure to represent the school favorably, it's just weird.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Johnson had a groin injury which kept him out late in their game against Indiana which could've been the reason he wanted compression shorts and didn't feel comfortable playing without them. Weird for Payne to publicly question the kid's heart and embarrass him like that.
Payne is probably getting heat about the state of the program and thought his statement would demonstrate his players attitudes were the problem as opposed to him.

Most of us struggle to process things logically when we’re under pressure.

Reaction Score
Payne is probably getting heat about the state of the program and thought his statement would demonstrate his players attitudes were the problem as opposed to him.

Most of us struggle to process things logically when we’re under pressure.
This is the reason why he mentioned this to the media. It was just finger pointing by him and passing the buck, which is terrible leadership.

He never should have addressed this publicly.

Reaction Score
Either he's trying to make a kid look bad that had an injury, or he's completely lost the respect of his players.

Both.

It's actually impressive just how incompetent he's managed to be. You could take any number of half-way decent high school coaches, give them the talent on his squad, and they'd have at least 2 more wins.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is the reason why he mentioned this to the media. It was just finger pointing by him and passing the buck, which is terrible leadership.

He never should have addressed this publicly.
Most of us logically wouldn't address this publicly or even to ourselves. The player had a rational need for compression shorts. He's probably melting down. If this continues it will accelerate the need for his firing.

Reaction Score
Most of us logically wouldn't address this publicly or even to ourselves. The player had a rational need for compression shorts. He's probably melting down. If this continues it will accelerate the need for his firing.

He needs to shut up and take the buy-out when he continues to lose. This kind of stuff is bordering on termination for cause.

Reaction Score
What's interesting to me is his use of the words 'tights'. We used to associate tights with feminine clothing.

Have things changed where shorts are called tights now?

Reaction Score
What's interesting to me is his use of the words 'tights'. We used to associate tights with feminine clothing.

I think it was a way for him to try to take a dig at the kid. Instead of calling them compression shorts or whatever, he said tights to add embarrassment.

Reaction Score

I mean the undergarments that some of the players wear are literally compression tights, some wear the full tights that go the entire waist down to the ankle, so they're technically not shorts.

Reaction Score
If Payne is consistently saying dumb stuff in the media, throwing his players under the bus, AND not getting good results, why does he still have a job? There's no way the university sees this as building the sort of culture the program wants/needs, and this is a pattern of behavior at this point.

Seems to me like he could be fired just for performance, and when you couple that with a failure to connect with his players and a failure to represent the school favorably, it's just weird.
Lol at the idea that the AD of the 200th best academic institution in the U.S. is interested in building any kind of culture.

That school is interested in two things: cashing ACC media checks, and continuing to scam the city of Louisville in arena deals. Everything else is just noise.

Reaction Score
This guy is such a joke. The Knicks brought him after he was touted as a player development guru and the team proceeded to develop none of their young players. Ironically, the fanbase was worried about losing him to a college HC job.

Reaction Score
Lol at the idea that the AD of the 200th best academic institution in the U.S. is interested in building any kind of culture.

That school is interested in two things: cashing ACC media checks, and continuing to scam the city of Louisville in arena deals. Everything else is just noise.
I think it’s moreso that their reputation is predominantly athletics based. If they let their basketball team continue in this direction, they’re going to lose a lot of national recognition and subsequently money

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I guarantee it wasn't really about the tights. Kid's are sick of playing for this clown and have no respect for the program top to bottom. Tights were juat the last straw, so to speak.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom