Podcast with Randy Edsall | The Boneyard

Podcast with Randy Edsall

Reaction Score
Hi all,

For my Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast I got some time with Randy to discuss all things UConn Football. We talk the decision not to play games this year, get an update on what the team has been doing, talk independence, and look back at some classic games.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I was a bit surprised and maybe disappointed in his answer to the "was it difficult to stick to your decision to not play after others decided they would play this fall". He said it wasn't difficult at all. Really? It not difficult to tell kids that want to play that they won't play? It's not difficult to tell fans they can't see a team play that they have supported for years?

I am good with him sticking to his decision....but it would have been better if he acknowledged who was impacted by his decision.

Reaction Score
Nice job Jared! I’m not surprised Edsall stuck by the school’s decision not to play. When the options were presented to the players, the choice was between playing UMass twice and a few other nondescript opponents in empty stadiums, and having to adhere to state prescribed quarantine protocols, versus getting better prepared to showcase their talents against a much better group of 2021 opponents. Cancelling the season became the easier choice for the players to rationalize and accept. The onus now falls back on the school to reward the sacrifice of the players and the fans and create an atmosphere of anticipation for the 2021 season.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Nice job Jared! I’m not surprised Edsall stuck by the school’s decision not to play. When the options were presented to the players, the choice was between playing UMass twice and a few other nondescript opponents in empty stadiums, and having to adhere to state prescribed quarantine protocols, versus getting better prepared to showcase their talents against a much better group of 2021 opponents. Cancelling the season became the easier choice for the players to rationalize and accept. The onus now falls back on the school to reward the sacrifice of the players and the fans and create an atmosphere of anticipation for the 2021 season.
But don't you think he could have acknowledged it was a difficult decision to not let the kids play or let the fans watch?

Reaction Score
But don't you think he could have acknowledged it was a difficult decision to not let the kids play or let the fans watch?

Not if it wasn't a hard decision. He had players who were scared and state protocols that would have been very difficult to navigate. Not to mention the cost of testing his players. Why should it be tough? He didn't say he lost his love for the game, but there were (and are) bigger things at play.

I know for a fact several players didn't want to play when the decision was made.

Reaction Score
Not if it wasn't a hard decision. He had players who were scared and state protocols that would have been very difficult to navigate. Not to mention the cost of testing his players. Why should it be tough? He didn't say he lost his love for the game, but there were (and are) bigger things at play.

I know for a fact several players didn't want to play when the decision was made.
Yes I agree! I also know several were not totally on board to play! Plus there were some kids that wanted to and went home for a couple weeks!! I know another just left and went home this week.. quarantining some of these kids 2-3 times already has taken its toll on some. There is no way with all the restrictions and what we knew then and our schedule blowing up that we could have played anyone interesting this season. Plus this Covid is starting to blow up. Either these teams are playing with outbreaks or they just don’t care. Edsall really cares about the players which is why he let some go home that didn’t want to play and he didn’t want to risk someone getting hospitalized on his watch.. I’m sick of the complaining. We are not playing this fall or spring so stop complaining .. give it a rest and let’s talk about some positive things!

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My issue is how did other schools get through the same thing UConn went through. I get it, but still bothers me seeing a number of schools playing this season while UConn is not.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

The sentiment on here is that most players are upset they aren't playing. If true...it would have been nice to acknowledge that. Thats all I am saying.

Reaction Score
The sentiment on here is that most players are upset they aren't playing.
Disappointed is the better word, but once all the implications were explained and discussed, most players supported the decision. And while it may seem counter intuitive, it was especially true for those with aspirations of playing professionally.

Reaction Score
I just look like it like this. I've kept my mouth (and fingers) shut on this because I really get livid over the way some people view this topic and I prefer not to engage and lose my temper.

Conference teams have ready made schedules;

There are essentially 6 Independents this season as Notre Dame is temporarily considered ACC.
3 "Private" institutions with financial backing (BYU, Army, and Liberty) are playing; their costs are subsidized privately.
3 Public Institutions (UConn, UMass, and NMSU) initially stated they weren't playing; UMass changed course and is hodgepodging a schedule as they can. They are publicly financed and need to consider 3 problems in no particular order:
  • Player Safety
  • Scheduling opportunity (including potential Quarantine)
  • Cost
If a state is willing to eat the cost of scheduling and competing in games at a loss then more power to them. In my opinion it is a much worse look to be funding a few patchwork games at a big loss during a pandemic than it would be to immediately raise your hand and say feasible and we'll wait until next year. In 1 year I don't think anyone (of importance) will remember that UConn chose not to play this year.

Anyway, fire away.

Reaction Score
My issue is how did other schools get through the same thing UConn went through. I get it, but still bothers me seeing a number of schools playing this season while UConn is not.
It's called money, they have it and Uconn doesn't.

Reaction Score
UConn lost $13mm playing football last year. Those that cite cost as a factor better be screaming to shut it down next year.

Reaction Score
during the podcast Randy said 10 or 15 players went home after Uconn cancelled the season. My question is who went home and who is going to come back ? Also if they did not lose eligibility why would they want to give up strength and conditioning and learning the system?

Reaction Score
Very well said Nostical

Reaction Score
Did Randy say what the new slogan is for 2021? I remember REstorred and Raise the Bar (am I missing one?) in past years, and want to be able to answer if they do a trivia night at Ted's.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Ignoring the problem and pointing at their giant TV contracts.

The other confernces are playing conference games. We don't have those. They are cancelling whole games and players are getting sick.

Could UConn have played, of course. Did they make the correct decision for the safety of their players and the university population, of course.

Disappointment over not being able to watch bad FB games is pretty small by comparison.

C

Chief00

The other confernces are playing conference games. We don't have those. They are cancelling whole games and players are getting sick.

Could UConn have played, of course. Did they make the correct decision for the safety of their players and the university population, of course.

Disappointment over not being able to watch bad FB games is pretty small by comparison.

Are football players at schools that play getting Covid-19 at rates higher than other college students? And if so, is it because of frequent testing on asymptomatic kids who would not otherwise hit the radar screen?
Has any link been found to actual football games?

Reaction Score

Sure now going into next season I dont wanna hear any excuses from Edsall about not having a season last year is effecting his teams play, when the narrative is that we benefited from not having a season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom