Podcast: The Future of UConn Football w/ Brett McMurphy | The Boneyard

Podcast: The Future of UConn Football w/ Brett McMurphy

Reaction Score
Hi all,

Wanted to share the latest episode of my Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast. This one features an interview with Brett McMurphy to give his insight into what's next for UConn Football:

Reaction Score
Hi all,

Wanted to share the latest episode of my Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast. This one features an interview with Brett McMurphy to give his insight into what's next for UConn Football:

I will listen to this, but if someone mailed Brett a small dose of Anthrax I would probably laugh.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
OMG - I will listen...but you just interviewed the man that loved to slapping this program around. I'm sure he has nothing positive to say.

Reaction Score
OMG - I will listen...but you just interviewed the man that loved to slapping this program around. I'm sure he has nothing positive to say.
More like nothing coherent to say. A hodgepodge of words.

Reaction Score
You can’t say UConn is comparable to Liberty or New Mexico State. Repeatedly. Nor Idaho.

Of course BYU is a different horse. Army too (thought they schedule for a totally different reasoning).

From his perspective - I don’t think he’s wrong - the Widening Gap between P5 and everyone else makes this a fait acompli. You just are on a steep slippery slope. And losing out to Louisville - not dumb hires of PP or Diaco - is the marker. Ok ok. So that tells you that MOST all the AAC is sliding. It might be just a totally unfair next 10 years.

I also think he doesn’t have a handle on our possibility set as our MBB & WBB - when ramped - has a better revenue stream than that Football mindset.

I don’t think you’re sunk not being in a conference if you’re us. I think - you look at Army.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Army being the model is a good barometer.
We don't have the tradition, but the recent history couldn't be more similar.

Army failed horribly in joining a conference. People debated whether football passed the USMA and maybe it was time to drop down or even drop out.

That and then seeing Navy success for a decade really put Army's future in question.

Fast forward and they have a coach who can work the system and get players that work. Army had one of their best seasons last year. Almost beat Oklahoma.

Their home schedule won't help bring fans to rent, but I do like the idea of getting the knights and maybe BYU on the schedule regularly. Probably add UMass as well.

Only nine other games after that.

Reaction Score
Army being the model is a good barometer.
We don't have the tradition, but the recent history couldn't be more similar.

Serious question. Does this mean the Huskies need to become an option team to succeed?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Fantasy independent schedule (subject to refinement)

Week 1: payday game on the road vs top level P5 anywhere anytime
Balance of Sept: mix of home and home series with P5 and one FCS home game. Fox might help us fill some of these slots with B12 and perhaps a P12 series... maybe more B10 too.
October: fill with Liberty/BYU/Army and whatever we can dredge from the G5 landscape.
November: probably will have P5 road game in here plus new long term series with UMass. Would be nice to get Temple or Buffalo to do home and homes because like us, they are G5 in cold weather markets. Of course probably a road game in the south in here too.

Typical season might be: UMass, Army, one other independent, 3 P5 games on the road and 1 at home, one FCS and five G5 games (two CUSA, one Sunbelt, one MAC, one AAC).

I wouldn’t mind a multi year series with Temple and USF or UCF. UCF has a wide open schedule right now.

If we are playing MAC let’s play Buffalo.

Need some Florida or Texas games.

Reaction Score
Question: If we think we could survive as an Independent because of our brand and NY market, etc, why wouldn't the MAC want to add us? And as for us being in the MAC, would any casual UConn football fan notice the difference between Kent State and Tulsa? Especially if we start to win and get invited to Dollar General Bowl?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don’t see us going a G5 conf. None of them want to headaches or a football only member. And whatever media value we have would be diluted into that conference’s lousy media contract. I think the independent path is the only way and best way. Just need Fox to bat for us to aid some scheduling. It would be preferable if we could have a friendly AAC exit to fill that 2020 calendar.

Reaction Score
Question: If we think we could survive as an Independent because of our brand and NY market, etc, why wouldn't the MAC want to add us? And as for us being in the MAC, would any casual UConn football fan notice the difference between Kent State and Tulsa? Especially if we start to win and get invited to Dollar General Bowl?
The MAC doesn't want to go uneven for us in football only. That doesn't mean they don't like us and what we would bring to the table. If the AAC takes Buffalo I think they'd take us immediately.

Reaction Score
Serious question. Does this mean the Huskies need to become an option team to succeed?

Yes! I’ve been advocating for that for a while.

Someone find my thread!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom