Pleasant surprises in each conference | The Boneyard

Pleasant surprises in each conference

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am normally a "glass half empty type guy" so I need to make a more concerted effort to find the positives of various conferences and teams. Along those lines, here's my "positive spin" of teams within each of the major conferences (and the Big East/AAC).
AAC-this is a tough one, and I go with Temple whose RPI #54 is second best in AAC.
ACC-Wake Forest, picked last in the preseason has an RPI #6, is tied for 5th in ACC and wins of Duke, GaTech and Syracuse. Just need a win vs. ND!
Big12-TCU, picked 8th in the preseason, sits tied for 2nd, Massey #29, RPI #23. So despite a OOC rank of 114, TCU Beat Texas, Iowa State and West Virginia but lost to Texas Tech Head bang
BigTen-Iowa at 17-3/8-1 and in 1st when predicted to finish in the bottom half of the league. Massey #16 RPI #4
Big East-Marquette, picked 9th after losing their coach, they are 15-5, tied for 2nd, with Massey #34, WN-#37
SEC-Dare I say it? Tennessee at 16-4, tied for 2nd, Massey #26, RPI #51, losing a coach, losing 2 transfers, managing huge expectations and a non-existent offense, they've made the best of a bad situation.
PAC12-Colorado at 14-5, RPI #43, Massey #37, picked for last in the PAC12, ok @Dokey Uncle, I give in-send me a Colorado Buff's WCBB T-shirt and I shall wear it proudly!!

What say you my knowledgeable brethren?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maybe Utah a co-surprise in the Pac 12 w/ Colorado? They may have been picked higher in the preseason but struggled thru OOC. Same record in conference as the Buffs and they've split their season series, each winning on the other team's home floor.

Also Northwestern is fairly surprising to me in the Big 10. One game back of Iowa and 17-3 overall.

Reaction Score
Very accurate. Great job as usual.

On a side note, if your looking at the surprise conference, it's the Big 10 (both men and women actually). The women side is settling in a little with a top, middle and bottom. The men side is a total mess. 12 teams with a 50 RPI. (or close to it)

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Maybe Utah a co-surprise in the Pac 12 w/ Colorado? They may have been picked higher in the preseason but struggled thru OOC. Same record in conference as the Buffs and they've split their season series, each winning on the other team's home floor.

Also Northwestern is fairly surprising to me in the Big 10. One game back of Iowa and 17-3 overall.
Hey listen Pal-this is a "Sophie's choice" type decision, no honorable mentions! It's one or the other, not both...make a decision and stick with it. :)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hey listen Pal-this is a "Sophie's choice" type decision, no honorable mentions! It's one or the other, not both...make a decision and stick with it. :)

I'm a waffler. You can't make me commit! :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am normally a "glass half empty type guy" so I need to make a more concerted effort to find the positives of various conferences and teams. Along those lines, here's my "positive spin" of teams within each of the major conferences (and the Big East/AAC).

ACC-Wake Forest, picked last in the preseason has an RPI #6, is tied for 5th in ACC and wins of Duke, GaTech and Syracuse. Just need a win vs. ND!
What say you my knowledgeable brethren?
Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Where are my two fine and knowledgeable colleagues @Plebe and @bballnut90 on this question? They usually have a different perspective...I mean there's no way the completely agree with me, it's against their nature :rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Where are my two fine and knowledgeable colleagues @Plebe and @bballnut90 on this question? They usually have a different perspective...I mean there's no way the completely agree with me, it's against their nature :rolleyes:

I've watched primarily PAC and SEC....Colorado is the big one from from Pac 12, they need to win a game or 2 though against top teams. Impressed how well they've been able to hang.

SEC is sort of a toss up. I would've said LSU but they've lost a couple of bad games as of late. Tennessee has feasted on mediocre teams so their record is inflated IMO, although they could easily be 7-0 had they pulled off the Kentucky game. They'd probably the my choice if I had to pick. Hesitant to say that since they still have SC/Mississippi State/A&M all in a row, plus @ LSU and vs. Arkansas. Tough 5 game stretch ahead.

From the little Big Ten action I've seen, definitely Iowa and Northwestern. Never would've expected those 2 to lead the conference midway through the season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For the SEC I'd pick South Carolina. I thought they'd be a top 10 team, and better than last year, but i didn't think they'd be this great. And besides, I'm definitely not giving Tennessee any awards just for beating Alabama on a last-second shot at home.

I agree with all the other picks: Wake Forest, Iowa, Marquette, TCU, Colorado. The one other team that comes to mind is Georgia Tech in the ACC, despite their recent struggles, since they were expected to take a big step back after losing their two best players to transfer.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Nell has done a remarkable job, better than I ever would have expected! That said the recent slide concerns me as teams are supposed to improve during the year and they seem to be slipping on many fronts. That said their next 4 games are against, Mia, ND, Pitt and Wake so they can right the ship or sink it...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In the Big South, I'd go with HPU. Rebuilding job, Brand New Coach....Started the season off really bad... 2-9....lost their top interior player to an ACL ... I was thinking it was gonna be a long season. Currently they are 8-10.... 6-3 in the conference, currently tied for second place.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
For me its the PAC 12 with UCLA, Arizona and Arizona St being better then many expected. Now we have to see if they can finish the season as they started it.

While not a pleasant surprised, I'm shocked at how poorly CAL has played this year. They are 0-8 in Conference Play.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Expanding the field of study, the Missouri Valley conference as a whole is a pleasant surprise to me. Not only has Missouri State been better than most expected, but the conference is currently #7 in both RPI and Massey, ahead of the AAC. Four of the 10 MVC teams are in the Massey top 60, and 7 of 10 are in the top 110. There's a decent chance that they'll get 3 teams into the NCAA tournament. Although Drake hasn't been quite as good as expected, teams like Loyola Chicago and Bradley have come out of nowhere to have much improved seasons.

Gonzaga has also been a pleasant surprise, after having lost Zykera Rice and other key players to graduation.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gonzaga has also been a pleasant surprise, after having lost Zykera Rice and other key players to graduation.

They've been getting into a reload, not rebuild groove. They didn't seem to miss Barta at all when she left with eligibility remaining, and they don't seem to be missing the 3 departed Sr. from last (all 3 were starters I think). Coach Fortier has things rolling in Spokane.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Adding to my thoughts about the Missouri Valley:

The improvement of the conference as a whole in the last two years has been striking.

MVC in the conference RPI rankings:
2020: #7
2019: #14
2018: #24
2017: #17
2016: #21
2015: #21
2014: #19

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The improvement of the conference as a whole in the last two years has been striking.

Especially considering they lost Creighton.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Especially considering they lost Creighton.
That was before the 2014 season, I think. Creighton had a good 2013 season, made it to the 2nd round of the NCAAT, but had been no powerhouse before that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom