Playing Time | The Boneyard

Playing Time

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is the general womens thread, so I'd say someone somewhere in the country will average over 30 mpg.

Reaction Score
Are you making this prediction for a specific team, player or for D1 women's ball in general?

Reaction Score
Just as an example, part of me would like to see Paige and Azzi play less than 30 minutes. Maybe 25. It’s because I worry about wearing them out and also want to see the new kids develop more.

But there’s something to be said for letting the stars develop themselves too, and more minutes is key to this. Also a dominant team needs to let its stars carry the load. Finally, thinking about their résumé for the draft, pro teams may not want to get a player like Paige or Azzi only to discover they can’t play at least 30 minutes.

Reaction Score
As I have said before, Azzi 's playing time should be controlled not only for the sake of that knee but also because now is the time for Ash12 and KK to assume ever greater importance in the backcourt.

Reaction Score
Just as an example, part of me would like to see Paige and Azzi play less than 30 minutes. Maybe 25. It’s because I worry about wearing them out and also want to see the new kids develop more.

But there’s something to be said for letting the stars develop themselves too, and more minutes is key to this. Also a dominant team needs to let its stars carry the load. Finally, thinking about their résumé for the draft, pro teams may not want to get a player like Paige or Azzi only to discover they can’t play at least 30 minutes.
Bone Dog, I couldn't agree more! Your phrase "new kids" is interesting. It can cover not only the freshman newbies but also Qadance, Ice, and even KK and Shade, who have three seasons ahead of them.

When Paige and Azzi cross the River Styx and arrive in the WNBA Underworld, Paige might join Caitlin and Angel as royalty, but Azzi? She had better demonstrate this year that her legs are reliable.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
The last time this happened for UConn was '14-'15. Came close in '15-'16, Jefferson averaged 30.9

Reaction Score
UConn? Someone will probably average over 30 MPG. That someone bring Paige. This is Geno we are talking about. The meaningful rotation will be 9 players at most.

I won’t believe differently until I see it myself.

Reaction Score
WELL, SINCE THIS IS THE GENERAL BOARD;

Lineup w/o Ashlyn Watkins:

PG: Raven 25, Milaysia 10, Maddy 5

SG: PaoPao 20, Milaysia 15, Tessa 5

Wing: Bree 20, Tessa 15, Milaysia 5

C: Feagan 20, Dauda, 10, Tac 5, Walker 5

F: Chloe 20, Edwards 15, Tac 5

Reaction Score

I think Edwards will have to get 20 before long. She may even take some of Chloe’s minutes.

Reaction Score
I think Edwards will have to get 20 before long. She may even take some of Chloe’s minutes.
I would agree that she may well get 20 minutes as we head down the end of season stretch of the tournaments. She will also get 20 minutes against the Clemson’s of the pre- New Year’s schedule . However, I don’t see big minutes against the UCLAs and NC States of the early season. I could be wrong but I don’t see Dawn going heavy with inexperience early.

Reaction Score
If you are in many close games then why wouldn't you want your best players playing more minutes (i.e.,.e over 30)? UCONN just got to Final Four with extremely limited bench. Clark got her team to finals playing huge minutes - so what's the big deal? You think Iowa lost to SoCar because throughout the year Clark played too many minutes? Players getting worn down is highly overrated. A team like UCONN might have only Paige this year if they are healthy because of potentially many blowouts and caution due to so many players coming back from injury. But overall if a team like SoCal has many close games why wouldn't you play Juju over 30?

CC averaged near 35 minutes for her entire career. She didn't wear down. It all depends on your team and circumstance. If you're team's top players are much better than you bench players and they are healthy and the games arent blwouts then you play those type of players over 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

My wild guess- to start with either (or both) Raven and Mila are "All-Amercans" or near it and Pao as 5th year senior and Bree senior year senior get "minutes." Edwards is too talented as is Dauda and Feagan's experience needed. Need Feagan's paint play. I'm leaving 5 minutes for whoever plays better.

Guard Raven 27.5 Guard Milaysia 27.5 Guard Pao/Pao 27.5 Guard Maddy 5
Wing Tessa 20
S/F Bree 27.5
Forward Chloe 22.5. Forward: Edwards 22.5
F/Center Dauda 17.5
Center Feagan 22.5 Center: Tac: 10 Center: Walker 5

Reaction Score
If you are in many close games then why wouldn't you want your best players playing more minutes (i.e.,.e over 30)? UCONN just got to Final Four with extremely limited bench. Clark got her team to finals playing huge minutes - so what's the big deal? You think Iowa lost to SoCar because throughout the year Clark played too many minutes? Players getting worn down is highly overrated. A team like UCONN might have only Paige this year if they are healthy because of potentially many blowouts and caution due to so many players coming back from injury. But overall if a team like SoCal has many close games why wouldn't you play Juju over 30?

CC averaged near 35 minutes for her entire career. She didn't wear down. It all depends on your team and circumstance. If you're team's top players are much better than you bench players and they are healthy and the games arent blwouts then you play those type of players over 30 minutes.
Bench points: SCar 39 Iowa 0.
.............................SCar 19 UConn 3 (+15 from Watkins who was an experienced backup and ready)

Of course, fresh legs can help in the fourth, but that's not the only advantage. Players only get experience with PT. An experienced bench is a luxury which allows you the options to:
1. Subbing for an injured player with an experienced backup
2. Subbing for a player with foul trouble with an experienced backup
3. Subbing with an experienced backup for a starter who just doesn't match up that great with a particular opponent
4. Throwing an opponent off what may be working for them.
5. Building experience for next year
6. Showing recruits that they can earn meaningful experience as a frosh even if there is a great starter already enrolled. You can be a Milaysia or a Tessa.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think Caldwell will try and even out the minutes. Maybe 20-25 for the starters, and bench.

Reaction Score
Bench points: SCar 39 Iowa 0.
.............................SCar 19 UConn 3 (+15 from Watkins who was an experienced backup and ready)

Of course, fresh legs can help in the fourth, but that's not the only advantage. Players only get experience with PT. An experienced bench is a luxury which allows you the options to:
1. Subbing for an injured player with an experienced backup
2. Subbing for a player with foul trouble with an experienced backup
3. Subbing with an experienced backup for a starter who just doesn't match up that great with a particular opponent
4. Throwing an opponent off what may be working for them.
5. Building experience for next year
6. Showing recruits that they can earn meaningful experience as a frosh even if there is a great starter already enrolled. You can be a Milaysia or a Tessa.
First off my post you are replying to was in response to this thread's initial comment of "I say nobody averages over 30 mpg this season. Agree?"

Thus you giving one example of Iowa vs SoCar is not the same as my point that UCONN and Iowa won with players not having over 30 minutes. There is nothing wrong with for example UCONN and Iowa being #2 - #4 in the nation last year. This the OP comment is wrong unless he meant his or her team whoever that may be.

But if your post is also about my comment about posters overrating benches? If so. then everything you say is valid but it doesn't diminish that it is also highly overrated imo. Lok at for example the WNBA. Do you really think it will matter that if other teams employed multiple defenders (and at the other end would their offense suffer?) would drop the level of play from the super-great Wilson?

And in regard to this thread how much did SCar's deep bench wear down Clark in 2022-2023? The point is for all your substitution comments, for teams that have for example super players, which UCONN normally does, UCONN welcomes "the fresh legs" vs our teams when we're healthy. I believe for example our last year UCONN was undefeated and got too Final Four it was the team (Notre Dame) with 6 players that beta UCONN. That ND team won it all.

SO if you see Clark beat a team like SoCar in 2022-2023, and you see they have a pretty good fight this past year, while seeing UCONN get to FF and seconds away from Finals while seeing past teams with short benches win it all - we're supposed to ignore all that because of an unusual team win it all by using a deep bench? And even if you are implying your SoCAr team - I've posed before your starting guards during close games leading up to NCAA's were averaging 32+ minutes and your Center I believe averaged 30.

The object of the game is to score more points. It's not which team is fittest or has the deepest bench or has the freshest legs. Give me super players with a shorter but at 7/8 player bench all day in which you can rest them during blowouts/comfortable wins.

Reaction Score
I think Caldwell will try and even out the minutes. Maybe 20-25 for the starters, and bench.
You were on the Old ESPN Board, weren't you? You were a very good poster. Do you recall back in the day when you had Parker that some UCONN fans would say when UCONN would eventually play Tenn that UCONN would use it's bench to wear her down?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
You were on the Old ESPN Board, weren't you? You were a very good poster. Do you recall back in the day when you had Parker that some UCONN fans would say when UCONN would eventually play Tenn that UCONN would use it's bench to wear her down?
I was on the ESPN board. I don't remember if that was the quote or not.

Reaction Score
I was on the ESPN board. I don't remember if that was the quote or not.
Okay.

Anyway, Parker was not worn down by UCONN despite UCONN having a supposed deep bench. Superstars like Parker. Wilson, DT etc don't get "worn down."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom