Katie Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield

Meaningful Minutes
Azura Stevens
Batouly Camara
Megan Walker

Then, Everyone else
Do your own ordering as to who gets what.

Geno is walking a tight rope right now as he knows (and most of use on here know as well) that Batouly will force her way into meaningful minutes, once healthy. Stevens and Walker ( the NPOY) are a given. Everyone else gets the scraps. Soo, right now, he has to use every reasonable reason to not dole out big minutes only to have to take them away later.

Hope folks don't take this as a negative...

Reaction Score
It is interesting to me that everyone is so confident that Batouly will play major minutes this year. She was ranked about 50th out of high school and played 1 season at Kentucky. I hope she's great. But I'd hardly consider it a foregone conclusion.
There were more than a few who had Butler inked in as not just a starter but AA.

Reaction Score
Starters
Kia Nurse
Gabby Williams
Katie Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield

Meaningful Minutes
Azura Stevens
Batouly Camara
Megan Walker

Then, Everyone else

Geno is walking a tight rope right now as he knows (and most of use on here know as well) that Batouly will force her way into meaningful minutes, once healthy. Stevens and Walker ( the NPOY) are a given. Everyone else gets the scraps. Soo, right now, he has to use every reasonable reason to not dole out big minutes only to have to take them away later.

I'm really concerned about Lexi. Not playing at all, haven't heard why.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Starters
Kia Nurse
Gabby Williams
Katie Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield

Meaningful Minutes
Azura Stevens
Batouly Camara
Megan Walker

Then, Everyone else

Big Mick - You're not the only poster that feels this way. Folks shouldn't take your post as a negative. It is what it is. Anyone (including his starters) that's been following this program for any length of time knows that Geno WILL NOT go beyond 1-2 players on the bench once the NCAA tournament begins. That's his M.O. If UConn wins the championship this year, it will be the eight you mentioned. Unless Geno changes his approach, this is what we can expect in March.

Numbers 9-13 on the bench will be cheerleaders. We're far enough into the season now to know who's who, and who can do what. One only has to honestly observe and pay attention to how much the quality of play (and scoring) drops off when Geno clears the bench in garbage time. Increased turnovers, minimal scoring and increased scoring by the opponent. When the bench is cleared, the staff does take notes. It is what it is.

Of course we'll expect the reserves to improve throughout the season, and be ready for next year. Come tournament time, these 8 will see all the minutes. The reserves may see a minute or two at the end of the game, but that's it. Geno will not morph into Dale Carnegie at the end of the season. Quite the contrary. He'll be trying very hard to win #12. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If Geno will be trying very hard to win #12 then he will need more than 8 players to call on. A well rested starting five will go a long way in securing that NC #12.

Reaction Score
He will play max 8 in the tournament. Yes, of course, before that, he will not burn out the starters and first subs by using others, against teams we blow out. But in the tournament -- 8 max. That is what he has always done, and that is what he will do this year. Now, AEH or MC, or someone else, could make a big, big jump for next year. But that is next year, not this year.

Reaction Score
It is interesting to me that everyone is so confident that Batouly will play major minutes this year. She was ranked about 50th out of high school and played 1 season at Kentucky. I hope she's great. But I'd hardly consider it a foregone conclusion.
There were more than a few who had Butler inked in as not just a starter but AA.

I could agree with you more but not on Batouly--this is an exactness. I haven't seen her play yet in a Uconn Uniform. Geno says she isn't close to being ready: When was anyone injured with 6 or 7 games gone and broke into the line up as a NEAR starter?. I'm guessing if she gets in her time will be limited, if limited, her development into the game won't show benefits until next season. Also, I'm not a stats person, but it seems her PT at Kentucky wasn't as a starter and not enough to be an 8th "starter" at Uconn. Just sayin !!

Reaction Score
He will play max 8 in the tournament. Yes, of course, before that, he will not burn out the starters and first subs by using others, against teams we blow out. But in the tournament -- 8 max. That is what he has always done, and that is what he will do this year. Now, AEH or MC, or someone else, could make a big, big jump for next year. But that is next year, not this year.

Not always, maybe more recently---I've been taken to task for using ALWAYS and NEVER---in this case too Always doesn't work. (please note: I didn't say NEVER )
On Walker, you may be right, as you may be on AEH---I tend to think that with the TIMING of Walker's entries in to some games it would appear Geno, like others and me, see something very special with Walker. AEH has a few things going for her including not being bashful of throwing up the 3; with both Walker and AEH their Defense is very good for FROSH and improving. Never say never. (but I did --twice)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I could agree with you more but not on Batouly--this is an exactness. I haven't seen her play yet in a Uconn Uniform. Geno says she isn't close to being ready: When was anyone injured with 6 or 7 games gone and broke into the line up as a NEAR starter?. I'm guessing if she gets in her time will be limited, if limited, her development into the game won't show benefits until next season. Also, I'm not a stats person, but it seems her PT at Kentucky wasn't as a starter and not enough to be an 8th "starter" at Uconn. Just sayin !!

Yup, flash Mick, Batouly is not close to ready to playing let alone force her way into anything like "meaningful minutes." The rest of the stuff about what we all know about tightropes and Batouly, well , while colorful and earning you style points from some, is without a scintilla of reasonable factual basis. Might happen. May we have the dilemna of: How do we give Batouly the minutes she deserves?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz ranked her at #53, but I think one group had her at about #10 and the first or second best power forward. She started the second half of the season at Kentucky and had a good game against South Carolina. Clearly, we don't have enough info to be as positive as we were about Azura. My expectation of her is that she's a Will Crocket type of player--banger, defender, rebounder, not much of a shooter. I don't think she'll miss the whole season, hopefully just a couple more games. Recall that Z wasn't exposed to the full range of benefits at practice last year; therefore, I expect that Batouly will be rather raw, but would have an advantage over most of the bench players.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="RockyMTblue2, post: 2449765, member: 250"]Yup, flash Mick, Batouly is not close to ready to playing let alone force her way into anything like "meaningful minutes." The rest of the stuff about what we all know about tightropes and Batouly, well , while colorful and earning you style points from some, is without a scintilla of reasonable factual basis. Might happen. May we have the dilemna of: How do we give Batouly the minutes she deserves?[/QUOTE]
No dilemma! You
r last line tells the truth of it: She will get the minutes she deserves. Are you inferring I won't get style points from YOU?? Hurtful, just plain hurtful! \
\One of us must be smoking that stuff the VA is now passing out--cuz--where did the tightrope come from---an I suggest I didn't type (my fingers sometime do their own thing) any swear (colorful) words--so I guess no style points---got to learn to use those "colorful" words--Sister Marieta Chasity keeps one foot in my brain, dang!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="RockyMTblue2, post: 2449765, member: 250"]Yup, flash Mick, Batouly is not close to ready to playing let alone force her way into anything like "meaningful minutes." The rest of the stuff about what we all know about tightropes and Batouly, well , while colorful and earning you style points from some, is without a scintilla of reasonable factual basis. Might happen. May we have the dilemna of: How do we give Batouly the minutes she deserves?
No dilemma! Your last line tells the truth of it: She will get the minutes she deserves. Are you inferring I won't get style points from YOU?? Hurtful, just plain hurtful! \
\One of us must be smoking that stuff the VA is now passing out--cuz--where did the tightrope come from---an I suggest I didn't type (my fingers sometime do their own thing) any swear (colorful) words--so I guess no style points---got to learn to use those "colorful" words--Sister Marieta Chasity keeps one foot in my brain, dang!
[/QUOTE]

Put the cork in the bottle Broadway, or pass it over here!

Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz ranked her at #53, but I think one group had her at about #10 and the first or second best power forward. She started the second half of the season at Kentucky and had a good game against South Carolina. Clearly, we don't have enough info to be as positive as we were about Azura. My expectation of her is that she's a Will Crocket type of player--banger, defender, rebounder, not much of a shooter. I don't think she'll miss the whole season, hopefully just a couple more games. Recall that Z wasn't exposed to the full range of benefits at practice last year; therefore, I expect that Batouly will be rather raw, but would have an advantage over most of the bench players.
Golly GEE---Willnet? She had one great game--her last against Duke's Bales. I loved Will but she never reached the potential the press or fan spoke of her prior to her arrival. Hope that isn't the truth of Touly!
With Azura, we have seen glimpses of what she can do---and if she builds on that--all my expectations will be met.
It all depends on what Geno meant when he said: She not even close to being ready--there is a lot that could be read in that statement along with her injury.

Reaction Score

There is no chance Camara will play "significant" minutes. I see her in the 10 minute/game range, with the majority of minutes coming late in blow outs.

Reaction Score
Nah.
It’s 2 games in each of 2 weekends in March/April.

If last season is used as a measuring stick: those 2 and 2 and 2 games just added to 30 or so games prior that wore on those bodies. I believe it is a desirable action to use your starting five down the stretch only long enough to allow your next 5 then subs to finish off the games especially if you have them. Constantly using 30 or more minutes even on well conditioned bodies may not end well.--
The added advantage of using your bench, if you have a decent bench, into the NCAA is your next season's team will be NCAA ready--it helps to have that experience--so says Geno.

Reaction Score
No dilemma! Your last line tells the truth of it: She will get the minutes she deserves. Are you inferring I won't get style points from YOU?? Hurtful, just plain hurtful! \

Put the cork in the bottle Broadway, or pass it over here![/QUOTE]
You sound like a VA Doc---your condition only happens with alcoholics---I drink a glass of wine a year, yep I'm a bum.
Now if we had a bottle maybe we could seduce/induce O'Boyle to make revisions.

Reaction Score

Because per the attached link she was ranked 9th or 10th by ESPN. And was ranked 2nd best pf in her class by ASG. Though I do find it odd - I thought ESPN was Hoopgurlz. But if she was ranked by a few services high - ESPN and ASG and she ended up starting her last 13 games for Ky as a frosh - she probably was pretty decent, wasn't she? Now she is a few years older but will be better coached. IMO it's not a stretch to think she can be a contributor, right?

Further, I do agree with your tone though- the longer she doesn't play. She'll be behind.

UCONNHUSKIES.COM Batouly Camara Bio :: University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site - Women's Basketball

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

"But in the tournament -- 8 max. That is what he has always done, and that is what he will do this year". This is the gist of the point I was trying to make. :cool: The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Golly GEE---Willnet? She had one great game--her last against Duke's Bales. ..

ONE?
Not true at all. Crockett had great performances in several huge games. Tenn, Texas, etc.

Her problem was that she would play mediocre in all other games.

Reaction Score
ONE?
Not true at all. Crockett had great performances in several huge games. Tenn, Texas, etc.

Her problem was that she would play mediocre in all other games.
I'll agree she was mediocre in many games--if she emulated the Duke final game in those mediocre games--we'd be having a different conversation. Obviouly to me those game you allude to didn't impact my beliefs as much as Duke did--so without reviewing your games--all I can believe is she was a nice kid but didn't live up to my expectation based on hype--and the program she came from. You can damn me for listening to hype, I can take that, but it is the bane of fans and player alike--the media and sometimes Geno as the kids arrive speaks too highly and form undue expectations from fan.

Reaction Score
If last season is used as a measuring stick: those 2 and 2 and 2 games just added to 30 or so games prior that wore on those bodies. I believe it is a desirable action to use your starting five down the stretch only long enough to allow your next 5 then subs to finish off the games especially if you have them. Constantly using 30 or more minutes even on well conditioned bodies may not end well.--
The added advantage of using your bench, if you have a decent bench, into the NCAA is your next season's team will be NCAA ready--it helps to have that experience--so says Geno.

Geno hardly needs more than 8 players in the main rotations to win a NC. He has 8 or 9 examples of that.

You will have a hard time convincing me that last year's loss was due to physical fatigue. The team had 1 flight in the final month. Just 2 of the 7 games in that month were less than 30 point wins.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="RockyMTblue2, post: 2449765, member: 250"]Yup, flash Mick, Batouly is not close to ready to playing let alone force her way into anything like "meaningful minutes." The rest of the stuff about what we all know about tightropes and Batouly, well , while colorful and earning you style points from some, is without a scintilla of reasonable factual basis. Might happen. May we have the dilemna of: How do we give Batouly the minutes she deserves?
[/QUOTE]

You do know that I quoted you ('cuz I agreed) but was responding to Big Mick, right?

Reaction Score

You do know that I quoted you ('cuz I agreed) but was responding to Big Mick, right?[/QUOTE]

No--I didn't recognize you quoting me---I read my post and didn't see a tight rope in it--this won't be the first (or last) time some one would think me delusional. The part about typing is true--I see words in posts I didn't type---my brain says we--the fingers print me, my brain say they--my fingers print the- I'm not use to re-reading my typing, it was once accurate--now if I don't sit and read all my useless words, boring---- and make correction, you get not the words my stupid fingers do. I'm a touch typist--even with 1 and `1/2 hands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom