Players Tribune - Napheesa on life, basketball, and UConn | The Boneyard

Players Tribune - Napheesa on life, basketball, and UConn

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
There are a lot of gems in this article, written by our beloved Phee. Every UConn recruit needs to read this article.

"During high school, I got scholarship offers from all around the country. It was pretty overwhelming, honestly. I wasn’t sure about where I wanted to go, but I did know one thing for certain: It wouldn’t be UConn."

"But I think what drew me in as much as anything was how the girls on the team interacted with each other. On that official visit, we went to one of their apartments one night and just hung out, laughed, and played board games. The girls on the team seemed more like sisters than friends, and right away they made me feel like I was part of their family."

"But what most people don’t understand about [UConn winning], and what I certainly didn’t, is that it’s not something that just happens. Not at all. It’s easy to assume UConn’s edge is strictly a talent thing — and no doubt, there’s a lot of talent — but the consistency comes from the grind.

The Every. Single. Day. Grind."

Reaction Score
There are a lot of gems in this article, written by our beloved Phee. Every UConn recruit needs to read this article.

"During high school, I got scholarship offers from all around the country. It was pretty overwhelming, honestly. I wasn’t sure about where I wanted to go, but I did know one thing for certain: It wouldn’t be UConn."

"But I think what drew me in as much as anything was how the girls on the team interacted with each other. On that official visit, we went to one of their apartments one night and just hung out, laughed, and played board games. The girls on the team seemed more like sisters than friends, and right away they made me feel like I was part of their family."

"But what most people don’t understand about [UConn winning], and what I certainly didn’t, is that it’s not something that just happens. Not at all. It’s easy to assume UConn’s edge is strictly a talent thing — and no doubt, there’s a lot of talent — but the consistency comes from the grind.

This passage should really stand out to recruits

"In the end, I can look back at my time at UConn and say that I’m kind of glad my freshman year was so difficult. In fact, it’s probably a big reason why my transition to the W as a rookie has been pretty natural. Yeah, there’s definitely been a ton of learning experiences, no question. But I’ve been ready for everything that’s come at me because I’ve been preparing to play at this level every day for the past four years."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Great article and very well written. Thanks Argonaut. Enjoyed it. :)

Here is the link to the Hartford Currant podcast featuring Napheesa Collier produced about a month ago. I don't recall if this was already posted back then. Some of you may have missed it. UConn Insider Podcast, Episode 120: Napheesa Collier

Last edited:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
This young woman has been special in my heart from day 1. Talent, beauty, self confident (not cocky) and team oriented. Does my heart good to see her successes. Would take every "Phee" that's looking to play WCBB.

Argonaut, thanks for sharing.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This passage should really stand out to recruits

"In the end, I can look back at my time at UConn and say that I’m kind of glad my freshman year was so difficult. In fact, it’s probably a big reason why my transition to the W as a rookie has been pretty natural. Yeah, there’s definitely been a ton of learning experiences, no question. But I’ve been ready for everything that’s come at me because I’ve been preparing to play at this level every day for the past four years."

Say wow and amen to that!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Why is it that the first thing I noticed in this fabulous first-person article that provides testimony about everything we hope the UConn women represent is that Phee colored her hair? Man, I have issues...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That quiet assurance was there very early wasn't it and that daily grind has obviously made her one of the elite in the WNBA. Best article I have ever read by a player on these subjects. She's a deep old soul. Recruiting tool yes. Also will frighten away the pretenders.

But, unlike her, many kids in HS just don't read! On the internet or in a comic book, they just don't read. :)

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
That quiet assurance was there very early wasn't it and that daily grind has obviously made her one of the elite in the WNBA. Best article I have ever read by a player on these subjects. She's a deep old soul. Recruiting tool yes. Also will fright away the pretenders.

But, unlike her, many kids in HS just don't read! On the internet or in a comic book, they just don't read. :)

I'm a high school librarian. Fear not, your readers are still out there.

Reaction Score
As a career bookseller (and now a p-t librarian) this essay was a delightful surprise. As a life-long Husky it was more proof positive that our team is the Gold Standard...period. Years ago Geno was right when he told a reporter “We don’t recruit dopes.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Say wow and amen to that!

A new recruiting package for UConn to send to all future recruits: the I want you poster that I suggested in another post, and a copy of this article by Collier. One if not both is sure to make them think very seriously about UConn. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can only imagine how Geno and CD must feel when they read and hear stories like these over and over and over. How many volumes are you allowed to have in a scrapbook? They must be so proud and filled to the brim with satisfaction for their career choice and for the hard work they put in over the years. Kudos and thank yous to Pheesa, Geno, and CD ...and all of Pheesa's older and younger sisters. :D

Reaction Score
I love this woman! I fell in love with her this summer watching her play since she plays with Odyssey. I admire her so much on here poise, athleticism, humbleness, and just overall demeanor. She carry's herself well and represent whomever she is representing to the best of her abilities. Should have been No.1.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can only imagine how Geno and CD must feel when they read and hear stories like these over and over and over. How many volumes are you allowed to have in a scrapbook? They must be so proud and filled to the brim with satisfaction for their career choice and for the hard work they put in over the years. Kudos and thank yous to Pheesa, Geno, and CD ...and all of Pheesa's older and younger sisters. :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I love this woman! I fell in love with her this summer watching her play since she plays with Odyssey. I admire her so much on here poise, athleticism, humbleness, and just overall demeanor. She carry's herself well and represent whomever she is representing to the best of her abilities. Should have been No.1.
Then she would not be a Lynx. Perfect for her. :) Dallas not so much! :(

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Caption this:

1569275741819.png

PHEE: Dammit Z would you just listen to him!

Geno: How many fingers am I holding up?

Geno: You do understand this means go up, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom