OT: - Players physically attacking the refs | The Boneyard

OT: Players physically attacking the refs

Reaction Score
Saw this on Reddit and it somehow came back to "aau is ruining the game." Shoe bball is,ruining the game--not this empty gym league.

Please. Bad coaches like this guy are why aau is being ruined. It can be a great program for kids to play ball year round if you find a good coach focused on fundamentals, fun, and fair competition.

Afterwards he posted on twitter (since deleted), saying the ref was picking on a player and started it.

Inexcusable. As a coach you set a standard. One of my players talks back to a ref and they're benched. Kids learn it early on and I have 0 problemsost years. Let alone a whole team attacking a zebra. C'mon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The AAU program and its director should be banned from participating in any AAU sponsored tournament ever again. I think high school associations should also pass a rule that a player participating in a fight in a sanctioned AAU game is deemed to have participated in a fight in a high school game for the purposes of suspensions and punishment. .

All that said, I have seen AAU refs pick verbal fights with 11 year old girls. A lot of those guys have issues.

Reaction Score
The AAU program and its director should be banned from participating in any AAU sponsored tournament ever again. I think high school associations should also pass a rule that a player participating in a fight in a sanctioned AAU game is deemed to have participated in a fight in a high school game for the purposes of suspensions and punishment. .

All that said, I have seen AAU refs pick verbal fights with 11 year old girls. A lot of those guys have issues.

Yes. Refs can have issues. I've had guys who couldn't run down the court, to solid d2 refs on the floor. It's crazy.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Things really look to have simmered down after a minor altercation then that one ogre-ass ref went after the that’s when it really came apart. I wonder if there will be child abuse charges.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Things really look to have simmered down after a minor altercation then that one ogre-ass ref went after the that’s when it really came apart. I wonder if there will be child abuse charges.

What are you talking about? The kids were going after the skinny ref with the receding hairline the whole time. It never simmered down.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? The kids were going after the skinny ref with the receding hairline the whole time. It never simmered down.
It was all split up then at :47 the bigger balder ref goes after a kid in the black hoodie and gray sweatpants.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It was all split up then at :47 the bigger balder ref goes after a kid in the black hoodie and gray sweatpants.

I think the guy in the sweatpants was a coach, and it looks like the team was verbally threatening the refs at that point.

Most of the very brave kids on the AAU team went after the smallest ref of the group, with 4 of them surrounding the skinny ref and one guy sucker punching him.

Reaction Score
Ref was stupid for hopping around like a thug after he first got up off the ground. He incited further conflict rather than walking away. May be best not to have young, testosterone driven men reffing these kids.
The good news is that it was a half dozen or so black kids attacking a white man, so there is no concern that race was a factor.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ref was stupid for hopping around like a thug after he first got up off the ground. He incited further conflict rather than walking away. May be best not to have young, testosterone driven men reffing these kids.
The good news is that it was a half dozen or so black kids attacking a white man, so there is no concern that race was a factor.

The fact that anyone is defending the kids' behavior is indicative of a bigger problem in society. If you are a coach dealing with an overly provocative official, you have two options. 1) suck it up and deal with it. 2) Pull your team off the court and walk away. Fighting the refs is not an appropriate choice.

Reaction Score
The fact that anyone is defending the kids' behavior is indicative of a bigger problem in society. If you are a coach dealing with an overly provocative official, you have two options. 1) suck it up and deal with it. 2) Pull your team off the court and walk away. Fighting the refs is not an appropriate choice.

Option 3: have a parent/player/assistant or anyone get the site director. You are disqualified and/or will not have a job with us again can go a long ways towards shutting someone up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As someone who spent ten years reffing high school football if a player had attacked me... there is no way I would have taken a beating with no self defense.

Not that you can take them as gospel but every account I’ve read from the event had that team intimidating officials long before it boiled over into a physical altercation.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Yes. Refs can have issues. I've had guys who couldn't run down the court, to solid d2 refs on the floor. It's crazy.

The guys that only stay on one end of the court, can’t run and should’ve retired ten years ago are the worst. I’ve seen kids get hurt several times based on lazy, subpar
Referees.

Reaction Score
The hell is wrong with these kids?
Bunch of friggin animals, the kids and the adults. Only smart guy (maybe a parent or coach) there was the one who walks toward the commotion at the beginning then realizes he's in the lions den, and then walks away fast.

Reaction Score
A couple of years ago here in Holland, in some amatuer league soccer match, several guys unhappy with the ref beat him to death. Flat out killed him. Over a freakin' game.

Reaction Score
Ref was stupid for hopping around like a thug after he first got up off the ground. He incited further conflict rather than walking away. May be best not to have young, testosterone driven men reffing these kids. The good news is that it was a half dozen or so black kids attacking a white man, so there is no concern that race was a factor.
The fact that anyone is defending the kids' behavior is indicative of a bigger problem in society.
Read what I wrote again. Nothing I wrote "defends" the kids.
Here's what I wrote:
1. Ref made a bad choice.
2. Refs should be older and calmer.
3. Joke about race.

Nothing "defends" anybody.

Reaction Score
Anyone know if there were any big-name college prospects on this team?

Did you see how many people were in that gym? Guarantee the answer is no. There's probably 150+ aau teams in CT alone. Very few are good enough to have elite talent

pj

Reaction Score

Odd "joke". How does blacks attacking whites ensure that race was not a factor? And in any case, why does it matter whether race was a motivation? Isn't violence just as bad when it's done for reasons besides racism?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Option 3: have a parent/player/assistant or anyone get the site director. You are disqualified and/or will not have a job with us again can go a long ways towards shutting someone up.

The ref has to be high or have laid hands on a young kid (<14). Otherwise the tournament organizer doesn't care. He will say whatever he has to in order to get rid of you. Been there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
As someone who spent ten years reffing high school football if a player had attacked me... there is no way I would have taken a beating with no self defense.

Not that you can take them as gospel but every account I’ve read from the event had that team intimidating officials long before it boiled over into a physical altercation.

I got my Ahaus certification to ref hockey games when I was 13. It was good extra money and I was decent. You weren’t supposed to ref games at your age level ( I was in midgets at the time of this incident, 15 years old) but they put me in a midget game after I had done bantam and peewee games that day , because another ref didn’t show. It was not unusual for me to ref 3 games in a row, and I did it. Well midgets was a rough time in early 80’s ( I myself at the time was serving a 30 day suspension for a gross misconduct for butt ending a Somers player under the helmet at Enfield Twin rinks, bloody Mess....but I digress) anyway I was reffing a midget game at Westminster ( I’m a simsbury native) and it was a nasty game. Scrums, chipiness. Nasty . after I had called like 10 penalties in 3 minutes Some kids father punched me in the back of the head while I was on the blue line. You’d have to know Westminster’s rink at the time. It had a roof but open air on the sides , no stands no seats. People just hung on the boards. I jumped the boards to go right after him, but my father ( who came to all the games I played and ref’d .... I didn’t have a drivers license yet! ) was already pummeling the dude. Good times.

Last game I ref’d.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ref has to be high or have laid hands on a young kid (<14). Otherwise the tournament organizer doesn't care. He will say whatever he has to in order to get rid of you. Been there.

I've been there too. And it's been handled quite well. Probably should head to some better tournaments lol

Reaction Score
Odd "joke".
Why the quotes? I assure you that it was, in fact, a joke. Be assured that the "oddity" you cite is merely your differential perception. You'll notice multiple people got my joke, impliedly not finding it "odd".
How does blacks attacking whites ensure that race was not a factor?
Great question. Unfortunately, it's like the whole can't-tickle-yourself thing. I can't explain why it's so, but only that it is. Don't you watch T.V.? Lol.
And in any case, why does it matter whether race was a motivation?
It doesn't to me - at all. Does it to you?
Isn't violence just as bad when it's done for reasons besides racism?
That's another great question. You are certainly asking the right questions here, and, really, that's half the battle. The other half, of course, is being able to - as Aristotle(?) kinda said - consider an answer without accepting it as true.
So, is it? Is violence "just as bad" when it's done for reasons other than race?
You are judge, jury, and executioner.
You have two cases in front of you.
Case 1. Angry Guy in a bar sees a guy with a blue hat on and screams, "I hate blue hats" and beats the guy severely.
Case 2. Angry Guy in a bar sees a person of color and screams, "I hate people of color" and beats the guy equally as severely as in Case 1.
Do you punish them equally? For equal violence? Yes?

In the U.S., and much of Europe, they get punished differently. Specifically, they both get charged with assault, but in the 2nd case, the attacker gets charged with a "hate crime" and ends up with a greater penalty.

But, you ask, if they committed the same act of violence, for what is the extra punishment?

And, of course, the only answer is that they are being punished for their thoughts.

And if that doesn't scare you, the national debt is close to 20 trillion and the Fed is raising interest rates. Lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom