Players aren't only ones being critiqued by UConn coach (NHR) | The Boneyard

Players aren't only ones being critiqued by UConn coach (NHR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/10/players-arent-only-ones-being-critiqued.html

>>"The truth is our offense is not doing very good, I have been the coordinator since I have been here and we are not very good so I need to improve. I talk about being honest and that is being honest. I am the one calling the show. I am the one calling these plays. Sure our players have to make plays but I have to keep it simple, put our players in the best position and I want to make it enjoyable for the fans, want to make it enjoyable for the players. I want our players to enjoy the game, I want recruits to look at our games and 'say I want to play for that offense, I want to make plays in that offense.' I want fans to say that is an exciting offense. It is not 3 yards and a cloud of dust. My wife sits up in the stands and she hears it all the time, sometimes she calls out the plays. The best one was Jackie Harbaugh. Everybody talks about John and Jim and Jack but Jackie (the mother of NFL head coaches John and Jim Harbaugh), she is probably the most competitive of the whole group. She sits up in the stands, she calls plays and she gets after the coaches if they aren’t getting the plays in on time and being very critical. I understand when you are in college football, you want it to be exciting offense, you want to have an unpredictable offense and the biggest thing is you want an offense to score."

With Weist saying that his wife calls out plays from her seat, I couldn't let that pass without asking him what kind of play caller she is.

"She is probably better than me, she can probably call better runs. I may have to try her out this week."<<

I do like his style and demeanor... now, if he could only pull off back to back upsets!

Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/10/players-arent-only-ones-being-critiqued.html

>>"The truth is our offense is not doing very good, I have been the coordinator since I have been here and we are not very good so I need to improve. I talk about being honest and that is being honest. I am the one calling the show. I am the one calling these plays. Sure our players have to make plays but I have to keep it simple, put our players in the best position and I want to make it enjoyable for the fans, want to make it enjoyable for the players. I want our players to enjoy the game, I want recruits to look at our games and 'say I want to play for that offense, I want to make plays in that offense.' I want fans to say that is an exciting offense. It is not 3 yards and a cloud of dust. My wife sits up in the stands and she hears it all the time, sometimes she calls out the plays. The best one was Jackie Harbaugh. Everybody talks about John and Jim and Jack but Jackie (the mother of NFL head coaches John and Jim Harbaugh), she is probably the most competitive of the whole group. She sits up in the stands, she calls plays and she gets after the coaches if they aren’t getting the plays in on time and being very critical. I understand when you are in college football, you want it to be exciting offense, you want to have an unpredictable offense and the biggest thing is you want an offense to score."

With Weist saying that his wife calls out plays from her seat, I couldn't let that pass without asking him what kind of play caller she is.

"She is probably better than me, she can probably call better runs. I may have to try her out this week."<<

I do like his style and demeanor... now, if he could only pull off back to back upsets!
Hey, we all could give GDL's play script by heart.

Reaction Score
TJ continues to impress for his honesty, self appraisal and willingness to deal with reality unlike the other 2 jackasses who were in total denial and would rather crash and burn the whole program because of their blind adherence to their failing "system".

Reaction Score
TJ continues to impress for his honesty, self appraisal and willingness to deal with reality unlike the other 2 jackasses who were in total denial and would rather crash and burn the whole program because of their blind adherence to their failing "system".
He seems like a good guy. he has 2 problems that I see. First taking over when he did was exceedingly difficult and anyone who expected much more than maybe a handful of wins, 3 at the outside, wasn't really paying attention to all the problems on the team. Second, he isn't that good an offensive coordinator. Good position coach I think but I don't sense that he really has a great feel for the flow of the game and it shows in his play calling. And he seems to want to do things that his personnel are not capable of doing effectively while ignoring what they are doing well.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have to admit that I thought the team would bounce back after the coaching change. A mini-2010 like bounce.

It hasn't happened. I suspect the last two years were pretty lean on instruction. I am certain that 2012 was light on strength and conditioning. This may take a while to fix, which is not good for TJ.

Reaction Score
He seems like a good guy. he has 2 problems that I see. First taking over when he did was exceedingly difficult and anyone who expected much more than maybe a handful of wins, 3 at the outside, wasn't really paying attention to all the problems on the team. Second, he isn't that good an offensive coordinator. Good position coach I think but I don't sense that he really has a great feel for the flow of the game and it shows in his play calling. And he seems to want to do things that his personnel are not capable of doing effectively while ignoring what they are doing well.
He's definitely learning on the job and less ready to handle the speed of the game than I thought. As for his play calling, I thought is was more due to the invisible hand of GDL, but maybe not. I do think he'll turn into an excellent HC whether here or somewhere else though. He has the right qualities of leadership and self criticism and forthrightness to be very good. Definitely agreed he stepped into a complete dumpster fire and it is showing. The kids clearly have no discipline and fidelity to execution. They have been abused over several years by what is an obvious preoccupation towards scheming and drawing up more complexities rather than fundamentals. When TJ says he needs to simplify, it says a lot about just how ill-prepared our guys are at a fundamental level. The damage done by PP and GDL is more astounding as time passes.

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I thought the team would bounce back after the coaching change. A mini-2010 like bounce.

It hasn't happened. I suspect the last two years were pretty lean on instruction. I am certain that 2012 was light on strength and conditioning. This may take a while to fix, which is not good for TJ.
It isn't getting fixed this year other than at the margins I suspect. There are real problems that took a while to develop and will take a while to repair. having said that, I do think there is some talent here, more than enough to be better than 0-6. The right head coach I think can turn things around in a more reasonable timeframe. I am not one of those guys who thinks this is a 5 year rebuilding job where we end up 2-10, 3-9, 2-10, 5-7, 7-5. In other words we're not Rutgers circa 2002. I think with the right guy in there, and the right approach, UConn could be competing in 2 years and if things really came together, maybe even next year. Not 12-0 competing necessarily, but 6-6, 8-4 style competitive in 2015 and 2016. For what its worth, though I don't think Weist is the guy to get us to that point. He is in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unfortunate for him, because I think he could well be pretty solid for someone down the road. Just not here and just not now.

C

Chief00

Receivers not getting open, line not blocking, defense no pressure and not tackling and FR QB.

Reaction Score
Edsall & Holtz?

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Weist. He has been successful at other stops, but the post game commentary offered by all HC's beginning with HCRE on loosing efforts "We didn't execute".......its been almost 14 years we've heard that conclusion repeated after losses.

The coaches are being diplomatic and politically correct.........I see it differently. I liked all UConn's players over that time span and would like to believe they've tried their darnest........but talent wise they don't measure up very well against better teams.

Reaction Score

Agreed, unfortunately I don't think TJ survives this fiasco. I don't think its his fault at all, but nothing short of a thorough house cleaning will be acceptable after this "yard sale"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom