OT: Player who didn’t make the baseball Hall of Fame that you think should? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Player who didn’t make the baseball Hall of Fame that you think should?

Who should be a hall of gamer before time runs out?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I'm with you that neither should be in. But a much better hitter in his prime? Do the numbers I posted mean anything? Baines had a prettier swing, that's about it.

Evans' two best seasons:

1987 -- .305 BA, 34 HR, 123 RBI, .986 OPS, 106 walks.
1982 -- .292 BA, 32 HR, 98 RBI, .932 OPS, 112 walks.
(his 1981 season was actually better but tough to compare due to the strike)

Baines' best two:

1984 -- .304 BA, 29 HR, 94 RBI, .903 OPS, 54 walks
1999 -- .312 BA, 25 HR, 103 RBI, .919 OPS, 54 walks (extra credit for doing this at age 40)

Evans was really good, Baines was a better "hitter" no doubt not just a prettier swing. But neither scared you when they got in the box. The walks are really a nice stat those 2years for Dewey which brings him to a better OBP impressive, never really knew that of him. As I said better argument for DE but nope for both.

Reaction Score
Oh, PLEASE!!!!

Dewey had the quintessential Walt Hreniak swing. Who in New England didn't imitate that swing playing Wiffle Ball?

Wait please tell me you don't believe Hreniaks guys swings were pretty?

Reaction Score
I use it because the old folks still value it . . .

If you're not driving in runs you better be walkimng a ton and scoring a ton. Otherwise tell me the impact as a 3-4-5 hitter?

Reaction Score
If you're not driving in runs you better be walkimng a ton and scoring a ton. Otherwise tell me the impact as a 3-4-5 hitter?

Plenty of teams now put their best power hitters at the very top of the lineup.

Of course, in the Baines/Evans argument, Evans had similar RBI numbers while batting out of the leadoff spot for a good portion of his career.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wait please tell me you don't believe Hreniaks guys swings were pretty?
Griffey Jr. did the same thing. It looked much prettier from the left side when the bat led him down the line.

Reaction Score
Griffey Jr. did the same thing. It looked much prettier from the left side when the bat led him down the line.

Ok I think my sarcasm detector is a bit off . . .

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ok I think my sarcasm detector is a bit off . . .
No. It's probably working well. I think that Evans' swing was quirky (and effective), but not exactly pleasing to the eye. On the other hand it was famous and often imitated. Of course, rarely duplicated (See: Jordan, Michael).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Exactly, it's hard to believe people are this naive. Everyone was taking them then because the league wanted everyone taking them then.

Steroids and HGH are still rampant in every sport. For some reason nobody has ever cared that all our football players are on it. People care about players going brain dead but they don't care about the roids they are all taking. A big part of the reason they are going brain dead is because of the roids.

Edelman versus Bonds. Kinda different.

Reaction Score

The problem with RBIs are they are team dependent. If you have bad teammates you get less opportunities. It’s really no different than a great pitcher who gets no run support having a mediocre record.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I can’t believe how much support Vizquel is getting over someone like Rolen or Andruw Jones.

Well, Scott Rolen was a noted . And Vizquel was a very nice guy. Writers doing their thing.

Heard Jones was a good guy though.

Reaction Score
Grouchy me is going with "none of the above" on this one. Clemens and Bonds blew it with the steroids, it's unforgivable no matter how many players were doing it. If Petite doesn't play for the Yankees, he and his lifetime 3.85 ERA wouldn't be in the conversation. He's a classic Hall of Very Good player along with Walker, Visquel and Shiling. Visquel is the closest in my book because of his glove, but the numbers on all of them just don't add up.
Pettite has 19 postseason wins, the most all time. You may want to consider that.

Reaction Score
Pettite has 19 postseason wins, the most all time. You may want to consider that.

He also had 9 more starts than anyone else. I think he’s close but for me he’s the tier right below.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sure but they all do it in football. Peyton Manning or Tom Brady versus Bonds.

Besides, half the point of football is showcasing speed, power, and strength.

I'd argue, if a guy isn't doing something (especially a guy Edelman's size), he's a lunatic. Gotta not get killed out there.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Curt Schilling is a POS, absolutely garbage person, but he was a helluva pitcher and deserves to be in. And the fact that him being a garbage person is keeping him out of the Hall is a shame.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Vagisil? I’m guessing the Mets?

hahaha 'Major League' reference.

Just a PSA: Crisco. Bardol. Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches' drop on your curveball.

Reaction Score
Besides, half the point of football is showcasing speed, power, and strength.

I'd argue, if a guy isn't doing something (especially a guy Edelman's size), he's a lunatic. Gotta not get killed out there.
I would be surprised by any players who are not doing roids and hgh in football.

It just doesn't make sense that we care so much about it in baseball but nobody cares they all do it in football. Bigger, stronger, faster in football means more head injuries in that sport. Bigger, stronger, faster in baseball means more home runs. You either think of football players as gladiators and don't care about them going brain dead or you actually care about their safety and want to get rid of that stuff, you can't have it both ways.

Reaction Score
As a Red Sox fan, I will say I never once feared facing pettite in the playoffs. In fact, actually preferred it.

Only talent that stood out about pettite was his extremely borderline-balk pickoff move to 1st.

Reaction Score
hahaha 'Major League' reference.

Just a PSA: Crisco. Bardol. Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches' drop on your curveball.

Of course, if the umps are watching me close I just rub a little jalapeno up inside my nose, get it runnin and if I need to load the ball up a little, I just *sniff* wipe my nose . . .

Reaction Score
Of course, if the umps are watching me close I just rub a little jalapeno up inside my nose, get it runnin and if I need to load the ball up a little, I just *sniff* wipe my nose . . .

You put snot on the ball?!?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom