OT: Player who didn’t make the baseball Hall of Fame that you think should? | The Boneyard

OT: Player who didn’t make the baseball Hall of Fame that you think should?

Who should be a hall of gamer before time runs out?

• Total voters

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I am not a Yankee fan but I admire Andy Pettite and his numbers don’t lie in regular season or the post. Only guy i believed was genuine in the whol steroid era.

Reaction Score
I am a Red Sox fan and I voted Andy Pettite. He was the best starter on a bunch of very good Yankees teams. Like Jeter and Rivera, he has my respect 100%.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rivera is a definite 1st ballot enshrinement BUT being the only unaminous in his 1st year is a total joke
Mays, Aaron, Banks, Clemente, Gwynn, Williams - even Ruth and Johnson - guys who busted butt all game or threw multiple innings a few times a week
I don't care if it's a "specialty" but not on the same level
Anyways, congrats to those elected

Reaction Score
Andruw Jones continues to amaze me as someone that doesn't get enough love. At his peak, he was a very strong hitter and arguably the top defensive CF of all time (cue the old-timers telling me how it's sacreligious to suggest that anyone could be better than Mays). He put up 9 straight years with a WAR of 4.9 or higher, including 6 of those years over 6.0

Reaction Score
Rivera is a definite 1st ballot enshrinement BUT being the only unaminous in his 1st year is a total joke
Mays, Aaron, Banks, Clemente, Gwynn, Williams - even Ruth and Johnson - guys who busted butt all game or threw multiple innings a few times a week
I don't care if it's a "specialty" but not on the same level
Anyways, congrats to those elected

At least we will never have to hear the “baseball writers have never unanimously voted” story ever again.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Growing up in the 90s-00s Andruw Jones made it cool to play outfield when most kids wanted to be Nomar or Jeter. Remarkable defender with his signature shallow alignment. Hit over 400 dingers but he took a million seasons to do so. Also, there aren’t many .250 career hitters in the HOF.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I only clicked on this thread because I thought it was about the basketball Hall of Fame.

Sidney Moncrief is the most deserving player not in Springfield. /End Thread.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Growing up in the 90s-00s Andruw Jones made it cool to play outfield when most kids wanted to be Nomar or Jeter. Remarkable defender with his signature shallow alignment. Hit over 400 dingers but he took a million seasons to do so. Also, there aren’t many .250 career hitters in the HOF.

I’d say Griffey started it. But yeah, he helped too.

Reaction Score
Grouchy me is going with "none of the above" on this one. Clemens and Bonds blew it with the steroids, it's unforgivable no matter how many players were doing it. If Petite doesn't play for the Yankees, he and his lifetime 3.85 ERA wouldn't be in the conversation. He's a classic Hall of Very Good player along with Walker, Visquel and Shiling. Visquel is the closest in my book because of his glove, but the numbers on all of them just don't add up.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Lou Whitaker has a top 50 career WAR -- he's overlooked because he doesn't have otherworldly counting numbers. Better career WAR than Frankie Frisch and Reggie Jackson.

Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, etc. all obviously deserve to be in.

I'm glad Edgar Martinez got in today.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'd vote in Bonds and Clemens because they were HOFers before they started cheating. Pettite wasn't.

I'm biased, but if Mussina belongs in the HOF, then Schilling definitely does too. (Although I can't say I'd want to listen to his speech.) Both much better then Pettite, who was very good and a seemingly good dude.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Cannot believe Harold Baines got in. Wow.

Larry Walker, Scott Rolen, come to mind.

I don't have much of a position on the steroid guys. Whether they are in the hall or not, we all know what they did.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Andruw Jones continues to amaze me as someone that doesn't get enough love. At his peak, he was a very strong hitter and arguably the top defensive CF of all time (cue the old-timers telling me how it's sacreligious to suggest that anyone could be better than Mays). He put up 9 straight years with a WAR of 4.9 or higher, including 6 of those years over 6.0

Andruw Jones is my favorite player of all time. I agree, in part because NO ONE was better than him in his prime defensively. He hit for power but never average.

I think his rapid decline with some whispers about PEDs has tainted his career, a bit unfortunately I think.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Missed your reply, you hit the main points well.

In fact, that’s so true in my case. I moved to OF when I never played there consistently before, and I immediately emulated him (for better or worse).

He was so smooth in the field. He just never was a consistent enough hitter, especially for average.

I guess I should add my vote in the topic at hand: I voted Visquel and Bonds. I’m not overly thrilled though. It’s a tough question.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom