Player vs. Player | The Boneyard

Player vs. Player

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This is for those of you who think you know exactly who is going to produce in the future and hit the NBA running, and who will finish their career productive, but with few team accomplishments and few individual accolades.

Freshmen stats, ironically from the same year, both with P5 teams, both 6'4" shooting guards, both played about 25 min/game as freshmen.

Player 1:
8.3 ppg, 38.5% 3pt, 44.5% overall, 2.4 rpg, 1.3 apg

Player 2:
7.8 ppg, 23.8% 3pt, 38.8% overall, 4.2 rpg, 1.9 apg

Who do you want, and why? By the way, both stayed all four years.

Let me throw a twist in the considerations. Another freshman shooting guard, who played about 28 min/game

Player 3:
9.1 ppg, 36.6% 3pt, 39.1 % overall, 3.5 rpg, 1.8 apg.

Go ahead and pick. Who do you want?

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Without knowing anything besides what is here, I think I'd take Player 3. Between 1 and 2, I liked 2's rebounding, but his 3 pt % is not good. 3 is kind of a happy middle ground between the two. If you want a pure shooter, I guess you go for Player 1. 3 seems more well-rounded though.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
Without knowing anything besides what is here, I think I'd take Player 3. Between 1 and 2, I liked 2's rebounding, but his 3 pt % is not good. 3 is kind of a happy middle ground between the two. If you want a pure shooter, I guess you go for Player 1. 3 seems more well-rounded though.
This is exactly my point, you don't know based on these early stats. They are remarkably similar. But if you knew who they were I can guarantee you there's one you'd clearly want.

I'll give a hint later, and give the answer later tonight also.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking Dyson, Tony R and Denham like players but this is a tough one.

Reaction Score
Vital is def the last one

Yes Player 3 is Vital. The other 2 aren't Uconn players...he said P5 but would have specified UConn. Wouldn't be surprised at all if one was Westbrook.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Once I figured out #1, #2 was easy -- I've compared them a bunch the past couple years. Buddy Hield turned in to an almost 46% 3PT shooter his senior year on nearly 9 attempts ... amazing.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
Well, let's just say the game is to look at freshman stats and tell me who you want, based on that alone.

I thought it might be a useful distraction since the 'yard seems in turmoil, and to make the point that scouting is a lot more than looking at stats, or even athletic ability.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
But I won't drag it out, since y'all are too damm sharp.

Player 1 = Rodney Purvis
Player 2 = Buddy Hield
Player 3 = Christian Vital

Very similar freshman stats, except that Hield, great as a senior, was terrible from 3 as a freshman. He also grew 2 more inches. It's about projecting the future, which is really hard. That's why I don't think I can say that guys like Whaley, or Polley, or Young, or Wilson are either studs or flops. They are what they are now, and they'll become what they become based on their work ethic and their basketball IQ.

Reaction Score
The cats came outa the bag quick there... not sure why y'all just guessed who they were instead of playing his game.

Vital all day.

Reaction Score
I am resisting the urge to put Vital on a pedestal after just 1 year and if he doesn't improve he would still be a solid guard for us but he seems to have potential for much more. He does more than shoot 3's but 3 point shooting is critical in the game as we all know. It ignites runs, stretches leads, and gets you back in a game. Other teams are going to blanket him on the perimeter because they expect him to be a top option so I'm praying that Jalen and Alterique willhave taken a lot of shots this summer. Neither were known as knockdown shooters but if this team is going to succeed they will have to be. Larrier is going to shoot 3's and he can make them but at what percentage? Even off the bench he's going to play starter minutes and may be he starts. He has a big opportunity in front of him.

pj

Reaction Score
But I won't drag it out, since y'all are too damm sharp.

Player 1 = Rodney Purvis
Player 2 = Buddy Hield
Player 3 = Christian Vital

Very similar freshman stats, except that Hield, great as a senior, was terrible from 3 as a freshman. He also grew 2 more inches. It's about projecting the future, which is really hard. That's why I don't think I can say that guys like Whaley, or Polley, or Young, or Wilson are either studs or flops. They are what they are now, and they'll become what they become based on their work ethic and their basketball IQ.

I like Vital a lot. He has the makings of an extremely efficient player -- what Niels Giffey was to the forward position, Vital can be to the guard position. You can win a championship with a guy like Vital.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I like Vital a lot. He has the makings of an extremely efficient player -- what Niels Giffey was to the forward position, Vital can be to the guard position. You can win a championship with a guy like Vital.

That's a good comp, and i loved what Neils brought even before his senior year ... Then he did everything and added a 50% 3% ...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Great post! Great point!

Reaction Score
Yes Player 3 is Vital. The other 2 aren't UConn players...he said P5 but would have specified UConn. Wouldn't be surprised at all if one was Westbrook.
Purvis was at NC State i.e. ACC i.e. P5 his freshman year

Reaction Score
Player 3 also wasn't expected to see a lot of burn time, but with AG injury he made the most of it and more. With that said Vital will be our leader and yes Langston saw something that frightened him. He has the makings of being one of our best finds at UConn. As a guard he plays for the best Coach a confident guard can have. Ollie will mold him and position him to make a lot of noise in 3 years.

Not to mention playing alongside Jalen (and AG) will sharpen his game tremendously. He will be a great player to watch develop and cheer on. Oh and he has that NYC moxie thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom