Player To Player Comparison - 2001/2002 Team vs. 2020/2021 Team | The Boneyard

Player To Player Comparison - 2001/2002 Team vs. 2020/2021 Team

Reaction Score
Not to say that this year's team is comparable to the 2001/2002 National Championship Team, but what are everyone's thoughts of these comparisons (Note - NOT a position by position comparison, but rather talent and importance to the team comparsion):

Asjha Jones and Evina Westbrook
Swin Cash and Olivia Nelson Ododa
Diana Taurisi and Paige Bueckers
Sue Bird and Christyn Williams
Tamika Williams and Anna Makurat
Ashley Battle and Aubrey Griffin
Jessica Moore and Aailyah Edwards
Maria Conlon and Mir McLean
Ashley Valley and Nika Muhl
Stacey Marron and Piath Gabriel
Morgan Valley and Autumn Chassion

Reaction Score
How about adding the 2009/2010 Team to the comparison:

Asjha Jones and Evina Westbrook and Kalena Greene
Swin Cash and Olivia Nelson Ododa and Tina Charles
Diana Taurisi and Paige Bueckers and Maya Moore
Sue Bird and Christyn Williams and Tiffany Hayes
Tamika Williams and Anna Makurat and Caroline Doty
Ashley Battle and Aubrey Griffin and Kaili McLaren
Jessica Moore and Aailyah Edwards and Heather Buck
Maria Conlon and Mir McLean and Lorin Dixon
Ashley Valley and Nika Muhl and Kelly Farris
Stacey Marron and Piath Gabriel and Meghan Gardler
Morgan Valley and Autumn Chassion and Meghan Gardler

Reaction Score
Not to say that this year's team is comparable to the 2001/2002 National Championship Team, but what are everyone's thoughts of these comparisons (Note - NOT a position by position comparison, but rather talent and importance to the team comparsion):

Asjha Jones and Evina Westbrook
Swin Cash and Olivia Nelson Ododa
Diana Taurisi and Paige Bueckers
Sue Bird and Christyn Williams
Tamika Williams and Anna Makurat
Ashley Battle and Aubrey Griffin
Jessica Moore and Aailyah Edwards
Maria Conlon and Mir McLean
Ashley Valley and Nika Muhl
Stacey Marron and Piath Gabriel
Morgan Valley and Autumn Chassion
Top end talent better in 2001/2002 with all 5 starters. I think this year's bench has a chance to be better than 2001/2002. Good thing there is nobody near as talented as the 2001/2002 team in today's game! :)

Reaction Score
Top end talent better in 2001/2002 with all 5 starters. I think this year's bench has a chance to be better than 2001/2002. Good thing there is nobody near as talented as the 2001/2002 team in today's game! :)
Give it a year and I think the 2001/2002 20th anniversary team might be just as talented (if not more-so from top to bottom)! :D

Reaction Score

Similar with the 2001/2002 comparison, except I would take AM over CD, even though I was a big CD fan for what she was able to give. The 2009 starting 5 is better 4 out of 5. I do think this year's bench has a chance to be better than 2009/10 though. Again, it is a good thing that there is no team in WCBB today that comes even close to that 2009/10 team!

This sure does remind me how dominate we used to be back in the day. No glaring weakness except maybe we weren't the deepest team but still our 6-8 were pretty good for what we needed. These teams were also tough and smart as well and that was/is worth a 10 point advantage per game, easy! :)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Best team in women's basketball history - 2001/2002 University of Connecticut. Not a debate. In 2001-02 the best freshman in the country, the player now considered the greatest of all time, would not have started a game if not for injury. The 01-02 team returned 4 of the greatest players to wear a UConn jersey. This team returned a total of 4 players. Now, when it's time, a comparison to the 2023-2024 UConn team might be worthwhile.

Reaction Score
Best team in women's basketball history - 2001/2002 University of Connecticut. Not a debate. In 2001-02 the best freshman in the country, the player now considered the greatest of all time, would not have started a game if not for injury. The 01-02 team returned 4 of the greatest players to wear a UConn jersey. This team returned a total of 4 players. Now, when it's time, a comparison to the 2023-2024 UConn team might be worthwhile.
DT was a soph and in crunch time, those great seniors still needed DT to make the big shot! I love that team. No matter how good the SRs were, they knew who to get the ball to when they got into a bit of trouble against Oklahoma...

Won every game by double digits IIRC....

Reaction Score
DT was a soph and in crunch time, those great seniors still needed DT to make the big shot! I love that team. No matter how good the SRs were, they knew who to get the ball to when they got into a bit of trouble against Oklahoma...
Always fun to rewatch, especially DT making the 3 point play near the end of the game and fouling Stacey Dales out. The announcer quotes Sue Bird as saying “Diana will have UConn under control next season.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree with this, it is way to early to make this kind of a comparison to Uconn's best teams. We might not need to wait until 2023-2024 with next year's recruits. I think there are several Uconn teams that had as much talent say 1-9 as this year's squad.

The big difference next year is major talent goes past the first 9. Having said that, it is also possible that may not make much of a difference. Whoever winds up being the last few in the pecking order will probably be irrelevant to the team's success. The newcomers competition with the existing rotation players, however will be important. If somebody gets bumped from next year's rotation it won't be because that player was weak, but because Geno had an even better option, say Azzi, or Amari, moving a talented player to mop up minutes.

We can't realistically expect to keep the tail end of a large bench down the road, and the loaded roster could make recruiting all but the very top prospects problematic, until some sorting out takes place, but because of the intense competition to just get into the rotation, our second unit should be exceptional for at least the next few years.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The 2001-2002 team had four seniors who went 1, 2, 4 and 6 in the WNBA draft.

The fifth starter, a sophomore, is the GOAT.

I think they beat Va Tech by 9, everyone else by double digits.

The bench for the 2001-2002 team was decent, not that it needed to be. A number of those players - Conlon, Moore, Battle - were instrumental in the 2003 and 2004 titles.

So comparisons to that team is not warranted at this time. But in a year or two, hmmmmm........

Reaction Score
I truly feel that this seasons (2020/2021) 6th and 7th players are much stronger that either the 2001/2002 or the 2009/2010 Teams:

AUBREY GRIFFIN over both Ashley Battle and and Kaili McLaren
AAILYAH EDWARDS over both Jessica Moore and and Heather Buck

Reaction Score
I truly feel that this seasons (2020/2021) 6th and 7th players are much stronger that either the 2001/2002 or the 2009/2010 Teams:

AUBREY GRIFFIN over both Ashley Battle and and Kaili McLaren
AAILYAH EDWARDS over both Jessica Moore and and Heather Buck
Not sure at this point but I will say the 2001 and 2009 bench were pretty good. The thing is back then, you knew exactly what you got every game from them. Please don't underestimate what those role players did to help the team win that didn't show up in the stat box. They were tough, did a lot of little things well, like set screens, play defence and run the floor, etc... You need this out of your bench players as much if not more than scoring points.

Today, we are not so sure from game to game what we may have. If you have a championship game tomorrow, I don't take any of our current players on those teams except maybe AM for CD in 2009...and that is only a maybe...

By year end, I hope we can say that we have a 2-3 bench that can really make a difference in the game! But at this point, I still take the 2001 and 2009 bench over this one after 3 games.

Reaction Score

No they didn't as they only beat Virginia Tech by 9.

Reaction Score

I don't agree .... They didn't need DT to make the big shot .... she made the big shot but there were others who could have as easily made that key shot .... Diana just happened to be the person that took it ... big difference ... she was special but it wasn't a miracle shot that was beyond anyone else's capability .... how many daggers did Sue Bird make in her career and she wasn't alone

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I don't think it's fair at all to compare this squad to two undefeated teams that were loaded with returning talent and overwhelming title favorites from day 1.

The biggest difference between 2002/2010 and 2021 is proven experience. 2002 started 4 seniors and Taurasi, all of whom played major roles on their 2001 Final Four team and all 4 seniors were big contributors as freshmen and as sophomores on the 2000 title team. It was a very experienced bunch who had played a lot of minutes alongside each other, had already won a title, and UCONN also had far more talent than any other program in the country that year with one of the best senior classes ever graduating in 2001. That team was set up for success from day 1.

2010 had more proven experience than 2021 does. They returned 4 of 5 starters from an undefeated team, and brought back Doty who was starting before an ACL injury. Moore was cut and dry the best player in the country as a sophomore and returned as the best player in the country as a junior. Charles stepped up after being an All American as a junior and took home several POY accolades that year too. The team was thoroughly dominant all season and never challenged aside from a funky title game.

2021 returns 3 starters who were options #3-5 in 2019-20, which was a weaker version of UCONN that was unlikely to make the Final Four had there been a tournament. They added in a potential game changer in Bueckers, who has looked quite good against weaker teams early but has been turnover prone and hasn't played against decent competition yet. I think most feel she'll be a legendary player, but time will tell if she achieves greatness as a freshman or not. Edwards is another frosh who looks great in limited minutes, but again, we haven't seen her face decent competition. Same for ONO/Williams in regards to how improved they are. Putting up big numbers against Creighton and Xavier is great, but it's not an indication of how they'll play against a team like Baylor. Westbrook is a high profile transfer who has played a quieter role than a lot of fans expected but there's a lot of season left to be played. Griffin appears to be a likely contributor this year, and I don't see Gabriel/Muhl/McLean being rotation players against quality opponents.

It's really difficult to compare this roster to two of UCONN's best ever when none of the current kids have come close to accomplishing what the rosters in 2002 and 2010 had already accomplished before the season started.

This feels like more of a transition year rather than an insanely dominant UCONN team. It's not to say they can't win a title or even go undefeated, but players are figuring each other out on the court rather than having a ton of cohesive chemistry right from the get go. IMO, more accurate teams to compare this group of Huskies to would be the 2007 team and 2013. 2007 graduated their 2 best players from 2006, but brought in the #1 recruit who was excellent as a freshman. Lots of players were playing in new roles that year and thrived. UCONN earned a #1 seed but ultimately was upset by LSU and Sylvia Fowles in the Elite 8. 2013 also had solid returning talent with players who were able to take on larger roles, and they had an impactful freshman class that ultimately was able to thrive and win a title together. It is hard to say where this team falls in line considering we don't have much to gauge this team on so far outside of 4 blowouts. And also, this whole season feels like a wild card IMO with so many games being canceled/postponed and there just isn't a lot of flow or cohesion amongst most teams early on.

Reaction Score
I don't agree .... They didn't need DT to make the big shot .... she made the big shot but there were others who could have as easily made that key shot .... Diana just happened to be the person that took it ... big difference ... she was special but it wasn't a miracle shot that was beyond anyone else's capability .... how many daggers did Sue Bird make in her career and she wasn't alone
Every time they needed a bucket at a critical time, and there were not many, they went to DT. They put the ball in her hands and let her make the play, as they did against Oklahoma. Game on the line and they wanted a bucket and instead of going to any of the SRs, then designed a play where DT had the ball in her hands the entire possession. They might not have 'needed' DT to make the big shot, but they all knew she would do it and that is who they went to. Not saying Bird didn't make some big shots, but DT was the player they went to if they ever got into a bit of trouble. The rest got their shots in the flow of the offense.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That play was drawn up for her to take the shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom