Player Thoughts | The Boneyard

Player Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gonna go one by one but first some overall game thoughts:

- Taylor was a thorn in our side all night long, but the majority of his forays to the rim would've ended a whole heckuva lot differently if AB were ready to go tonight. He played well individually but I don't know if you can say he really made his team better.

- Tevin Mack.... I mean what were the odds he would have his best game of his season against us considering his history with UConn? 100%? 150%? He's been turrible all year long but of course he torches us. How many of his 3's were our fault for losing him while he camped out on the perimeter? This is a blowout if not for his blow up.

- I was disappointed with the Zebras, but whatever. We shall overcome!

- At the under16 in the second half with us in the lead, DHam was rebounding a shot and Ibeh from behind helped to wedge the ball in the side of the rim. I instantly had a horrific flashback to the Marcus White ball wedge rimjob in the S16 in 2003. At the time I thought it was just the worst omen that could possibly happen and told myself if Texas then makes their next shot that we would probably lose, mercifully Texas then turned it over twice in a row sandwiched around Taylor's nice block on Jalen. If they had banked in a 3 immediately after that wedgie I probably would've commited seppuku.

- I thought overall that when the moment demanded our guys stepped up with some timely plays. This could just as easily have been a 15 point win. Is this our team evolving? Granted, we are still blowing assignments on defense like crazy and they didn't step on their throat and completely put the game away despite Texas practically begging for it at times, but this is a definite step in the right direction. Great win!

Player of the Game - Rodney Purvis: This guy is just our most explosive player by far. His top gear is higher than most anyone. He is absolutely fearless on drives and his first step is ridiculous. Has there been a defender capable of staying in front of him all year? He needs more shots and quite frankly he's kinda underutilized I feel at times. Get him the rock! Also did a great job on Felix all game too. If he could just boost the FT% to like 75% I'd have no complaints whatsoever.

DHam: Besides a couple rushed shots that missed badly I thought this might've been his most composed game all year. He played mostly under control and made mostly good decisions with the ball. Looked like he was really concentrating on defense to stay with his man as well, I was happy to see him get lost on D only a couple times. I wanna see a GIF on that behind the back bobble layup in the second half.

Kentan: He came through in a huge way for us tonight. how did he manage to flip in the opening layup off the feed from Gibbs? Looked like he had completely lost the handle. There was one rebound in the 1st half where he just skyed over Lammert. His nose for the ball is great. An important piece of the puzzle tonight.

Shonn Miller: He had a nice inside presence tonight. Efficient and really played like a leader. I wish he wasn't so limited by the fouls. Would love to see him try a couple 3's a night if they are gonna leave him completely alone on the perimeter. That putback on the Adam's missed floater was nasty.

Shelton Gibbs: C'mon Fran. He had that steady upperclassman game tonight. I think the 3-12 on field goals belies his impact. He did a fine job of breaking down the D with his dribble at times while getting the ball in spots that allowed us to capitalize. I'm not sure who misses more layups though, him or DHam.

Jalen Adams: That absolutely filthy "and 1" from the first few minutes is completely representative of what we can expect of Jalen in the future. For now those plays will be once in a while type things, but, boy, I can't wait for the future with him. His athleticism was on full display tonight along with his freshman inexperience. He makes things so interesting when he's out there though, doesn't he?

Omar Calhoun: He was steady tonight, unspectacular. Shot didn't come off like he hoped but he made some plays and was a net positive I'd say.

Phil Nolan: I'm hard pressed to say why his 7 minutes wouldn't be better served to be used giving Enoch some experience. Phil in certain games can appear to be immediately out of his depth, this was one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky
Top Bottom