OT: - Player Comparison | The Boneyard

OT: Player Comparison

Reaction Score
I'm looking for a player for one of my guys to watch and start to emulate his game a little bit on.

He's a PF who drives well off of 1-2 dribbles. Any more than that and he's toast. Loves to pass from the high post. His strength is driving outside, but can't really get to the middle of the floor or use his left hand yet. He currently is a fantastic rebounder and defender, but struggles with a true post move. Right now we're working on getting him a dominant jump hook with an up and under counter. Shot mechanics are good, just needs reps. He's a freshman.

Our goal is to get him to be able to handle the ball well enough to function on the perimeter and shoot 3s, and exploit mismatches inside the post.

Any good NBA/College player comparisons? I don't want him to ONLY learn by watching the league, but having a style and pace of place to emulate would be helpful.

Any advice appreciated. From any era of ball!

Reaction Score
I'm looking for a player for one of my guys to watch and start to emulate his game a little bit on.

He's a PF who drives well off of 1-2 dribbles. Any more than that and he's toast. Loves to pass from the high post. His strength is driving outside, but can't really get to the middle of the floor or use his left hand yet. He currently is a fantastic rebounder and defender, but struggles with a true post move. Right now we're working on getting him a dominant jump hook with an up and under counter. Shot mechanics are good, just needs reps. He's a freshman.

Our goal is to get him to be able to handle the ball well enough to function on the perimeter and shoot 3s, and exploit mismatches inside the post.

Any good NBA/College player comparisons? I don't want him to ONLY learn by watching the league, but having a style and pace of place to emulate would be helpful.

Lamar Odom? Maybe a little ambitious, but it's just the first thing that came to mind.

Reaction Score
Kevin Love could be one too. Solid passer, can put the ball on the floor a little bit. Again, lofty comparison like Odom though.

If he were a center I'd say Horford. He's so fundamentally sound and I love how he plays within himself and the pace of the game.

Reaction Score

Nikola Jokic.

Reaction Score
Could be way off but I'm picturing Terrence Jones in his Kentucky days, failing to block a sweet Ryan Boatright jumper

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bill Walton is the first that comes to mind for overall big man skills
Ryan Gomes for a big mans handle and in his pro days his ability to step out and make the outside jumper or Al Horford who has the jumper and distance but can also utilize the up and under (also Kevin McHale)
Cedric Maxwell in his prime could put the ball to the floor and pass off the dribble and was more than serviceable from the outside
I want to say Dirk but he is so one dimensional now

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He wasn't much of a passer/playmaker, but some of this has vague shades of Charlie Villanueva.

Reaction Score
Tre Mitchell at Woodstock Academy. Make sure your guy wears UCONN gear if he intends to watch in person.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Guys to look at:

High post passing: Chris Webber, jokic, draymond

Post moves: Tim Duncan, Shaq for his baby hook, obviously McHale for the up and under

I’ll also add bigs can get so many baskets in hs va a man to man defense simply by having good positioning. Get some jameel warney at stony brook and just have him work on that too. Watching him in his conference tournament as a senior was like watching an artist.

Reaction Score
You said a lefty PF? There is only one choice...

0e86e72880aa011612b2bb2e122776ee.jpg

Reaction Score
Chris webber is actually a good one... ill send some over to my guy. Thats what I was looking for

Thanks yall

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom