Played like an elite 8 | The Boneyard

Played like an elite 8

Reaction Score
Take with a grain of salt. But seemed like alot of parts came together for extended time last night. Fun to watch the growth
We're at the time of year where there really can't be much experimentation. It was a tight 8-man rotation, and I think that's what it's going to be. You'd like more from Gaffney, but he is what he is at that 8 spot.

If this team does what it should, it's looking at a 4 seed (outside shot at 3), and from there we can make some noise if we play like this. The players and the coaches need second weekend experience.

Reaction Score
We're at the time of year where there really can't be much experimentation. It was a tight 8-man rotation, and I think that's what it's going to be. You'd like more from Gaffney, but he is what he is at that 8 spot.

If this team does what it should, it's looking at a 4 seed (outside shot at 3), and from there we can make some noise if we play like this. The players and the coaches need second weekend experience.
Good breakdown

Reaction Score
If UConn plays like they did last not, not many teams are going to be able to beat them. Was thinking about that even when we were down 4 with 30 seconds left. Even if we hadn't pulled out the win, that would have been one of our best performances of the season. The massive crunch-time plays make it seem even more like we are capable of going on a deep run.

Reaction Score
It's going to be an 8.5 man rotation. If Gaffney hits a 3 like last night or has a few good plays like he's done recently he'll play 8-10 minutes and RJ gets a longer rest. If he's overmatched he plays 5 and RJ is stretched out a bit more. At this point the rotations are pretty set and for the most part work

Reaction Score
It's going to be an 8.5 man rotation. If Gaffney hits a 3 like last night or has a few good plays like he's done recently he'll play 8-10 minutes and RJ gets a longer rest. If he's overmatched he plays 5 and RJ is stretched out a bit more. At this point the rotations are pretty set and for the most part work
You mean 7.5??

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled with where the team is right now. This is the third season in a row where we are peaking at the end of the season. We look much better now than we did 2-weeks ago, 1-month ago, etc. I was actually kind of concerned after the Xavier loss that this team wouldn't go to another level.

Reaction Score
IMO it’s because sanogo and Cole stayed out of foul trouble. That is by far the biggest reason. Second to only we hit threes
Plus limited turnovers and generally low basketball IQ plays. Still went for a few too many pump fakes, but Nova is as well-schooled at that as any team in the country. That was definitely our best game of the season all around. Hugh strides.

Reaction Score
The most encouraging part of that game was that Nova played really well and we still beat them. The game plan was perfect, and perfectly executed. When Polley hits 3's, we are almost impossible to beat.

This team may finally have learned how to compose themselves in close games. Any top 3 seed in the NCAAT that sees our name in their region is going to be scared

Reaction Score
I know everyone is talking about the end but the game started with a bang. UConn was on a mission. Jackson’s dunk was awesome
Speaking of AJ, played a really strong floor game but his inability and unwillingness to take the ball to the rim despite his ball handling skills and bounce is maddening to the point of being astounding. He got the ball on the right wing on a 3-2 in the second half where Stanley Robinson or Scott Burrell takes one dribble and slams. And he leapt from way too far and ends up bricking a runner from a bad angle.

I don't get why even in space he can't take the damn ball to the rim.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If UConn can cut down on crucial turnovers they can win a few games in March
These turnovers come when they try to force certain plays that just aren't there.
Last night's win should go a long way for the psyche of this team which is still a bit fragile. They now know they can compete at the highest levels. That's important.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Elite 8 = Top 10 team!!!

Reaction Score
Speaking of AJ, played a really strong floor game but his inability and unwillingness to take the ball to the rim despite his ball handling skills and bounce is maddening to the point of being astounding. He got the ball on the right wing on a 3-2 in the second half where Stanley Robinson or Scott Burrell takes one dribble and slams. And he leapt from way too far and ends up bricking a runner from a bad angle.

I don't get why even in space he can't take the damn ball to the rim.
Coaches just have to make a rule for him: try to dunk everything. It will simplify things for him and he will get fouled a lot.

Reaction Score
UConn's KenPom offensive efficiency rating is 25th while their defensive rating is 26th.

The only other teams in the NCAA with both KenPom offense and defense efficiency ratings in the top-30:
  • Gonzaga
  • Kentucky
  • Villanova
  • Baylor
  • Duke
  • Houston
  • UCLA
  • Auburn
  • Illinois
You could argue that all of these teams are Elite 8 caliber teams.

Reaction Score
IMO it’s because sanogo and Cole stayed out of foul trouble. That is by far the biggest reason. Second to only we hit threes
This. And keeping our shooting percentage up to a reasonable level with equate to success. I feel like Hurley is able to create open looks for the team, up to the players to put the rock through the cylinder.

Reaction Score
UConn's KenPom offensive efficiency rating is 25th while their defensive rating is 26th.

The only other teams in the NCAA with both KenPom offense and defense efficiency ratings in the top-30:
  • Gonzaga
  • Kentucky
  • Villanova
  • Baylor
  • Duke
  • Houston
  • UCLA
  • Auburn
  • Illinois
You forgot Providence on that list.

Reaction Score

• Gonzaga
  • Kentucky
  • Villanova
  • Baylor
  • Duke
  • Houston
  • UCLA
  • Auburn
  • Illinois
Lol I just made the same post in a different thread before reading this one. GMTA.

Reaction Score
I would not have guessed it to be that high. Very impressive considering some of the stinkers the team has put up (WVA, PC, Creighton)
Didn't we have the most efficient offensive game in kenpom history v Georgetown earlier? Thought I saw that somewhere

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom