PKI Full Tournament Recap - Net Plays | The Boneyard

PKI Full Tournament Recap - Net Plays

Reaction Score
pki-charting-summary.png

MVPs of the games:
Oregon - Newton +19
Alabama - Newton +24
Iowa St - Jackson +31

So by my system, I think I would've given the MVP to Newton. 2 very good games and a solid one. Newton shot well in the Oregon game and then kept us afloat in the Alabama game with his foul drawing (drew 7 fouls in 2H alone). His turnovers against Iowa St were rough, but he did a lot of other things (really good D, drawing fouls, offensive rebounding, passing, etc.) to balance it out.

I have to say though. No offense to Donovan who was sensational against Iowa St, but Jackson was otherworldly. The 2nd half he had 23/0 pos/neg. That's the best half I've charted this season by a mile. Overall his ISU game was the best game I've charted this season, better even than Newton's triple double. He contested everything, rebounded everything. Made a ton of great passes, both traditional and hockey assists. He broke that team completely in the last 7 minutes when they had to get a bit more aggressive to come back. Jackson was up and down the rest of the tournament, with good stretches and bad stretches, but with the good outweighing the bad comfortably.

Sanogo overall quite good. Technically he had the most negative plays of anyone, but had a very strong net because he had the 3rd most positive plays and it wasn't especially bad in any one game. He struggled with foul trouble against Oregon, had a really strong 2nd half against Alabama, and then didn't score much but had a pretty big impact defensively against Iowa St. Also really strong passing game from Sanogo against ISU, I had him with 5 passes that should have led to buckets (2 missed) and no turnovers.

Clingan dominated Iowa St over 2 different stretches before Jackson took over later. One of the top 5 Net games this season (he and Jackson both top 5 performances in same game, not surprising we won a championship game by 18). As mentioned, I don't think I would've given him the MVP, but he was one of our 3 best players this tournament IMO (and that puts Sanogo 4th). And on a per-minute basis I'm sure he was the best. He just absolutely walls off the rim when he's in there, and he rebounds everything. He's rebounding 25.9% of every possible rebound while he's in the game for the season, which I believe leads the country (he doesn't qualify for leaderboard based on minutes).

Karaban a little bit less effective in this tournament. Bama game was good. Some bigger bodies he went up against, had a couple passes deflected. He's still a stud, but will have to keep adjusting to high major speed athleticism and avoid hitting a wall in conference play. Shot well overall.

Hawkins had a rough tournament. After slow start, he shot well against Oregon and had some blocks/defensive plays, had a coupe nice takes to the basket in general. But his foul trouble got the better of him in the last 2 games. He has just regressed a bit with his handsy defense. By end of last season he was using his body well to block penetration and not fouling. This year he's blatantly grabbing people off ball and putting 2 hands on drivers. Just really easy calls. He wasn't super boisterous with his tech, but he must have said something. His Iowa St game was the only net negative game I charted for anyone this tournament.

Diarra and Calcaterra really minimized their mistakes all tournament. Calcaterra made more positive plays, especially in the Oregon and Iowa St games. Calcaterra's only negative plays are generally on defense, and usually only a couple per game. On offense, he's heady and very rarely makes any mistakes. He makes his open shots, finds teammates without turning it over, picks his spots well. Combined in the tournament he had 29 points, 5 assists, and only 1 turnover. Diarra is just doing his thing, guarding everybody. Getting into the paint and kicking out on offense. If he made a few more open shots, he'd be a star role player, But as is, he's very good in that role.

Alleyne grades out as my least positive impact player. The defense is still really good when he doesn't foul (he had 4 against Oregon). He did a great job on Brandon Miller in the beginning of that game. But he went 0/6 from 3 in the tournament. He's a fine passer, but he's not on ball a ton and so doesn't make a ton of plays for others. He's gotta knock down those shots when he's open (and not take contested stepbacks as a heat check in the first few minutes of games). But as it is, if our 9th best player was positive in all 3 games, that certainly tells you something.

Reaction Score
Thanks @auror for thorough job.. The eye test for Jackson vs ISU certainly suggested he had a huge impact.. These numbers are pretty crazy for him.. Pinky is feeling better

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Do you mind crunching some more data? Curious what the average net was over PKI and for the season for the guys. Then I'd be curious about avg net/minutes. DC is killing the #s by minutes played.

MVP could have gone to a couple of our guys, you gotta love that. Clingan changed the game when he came in each time and was obvious about it (he's just a wee bit hard to miss) so I am happy he got MVP even if we all know Newton was stellar and Jackson shut up a lot of folks in the last game.

Reaction Score
Thank you for putting in the work. It's good to trust your eyes but it's great when there is math that confirms what your eyes tell you. Convention stats do not do justice for a disruptive, unconventional player like Jackson.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Other than maybe Clingan, the biggest surprise for me so far has been Joey C. I treated his signing as an afterthought - thought he might come in if the other 15 guards on the team were in foul trouble or we were blowing the other team out. But he’s been a legit 6th man (I’m not really counting AJax as a 6th man) who has deserved every minute on the court he’s gotten so far. Even defensively, where he is often times clearly overmatched physically, he has made some smart plays like drawing a charge when being backed down or forcing that travel late against ISU.

Reaction Score
Do you mind crunching some more data? Curious what the average net was over PKI and for the season for the guys. Then I'd be curious about avg net/minutes. DC is killing the #s by minutes played.

MVP could have gone to a couple of our guys, you gotta love that. Clingan changed the game when he came in each time and was obvious about it (he's just a wee bit hard to miss) so I am happy he got MVP even if we all know Newton was stellar and Jackson shut up a lot of folks in the last game.
The average is pretty straightforward since they all played same number of games in the tournament and sample size isn't really high enough for any meaningful analysis. I did the full season average pre-PKI and I'll probably do it again before conference play.

Here's by minute PKI-only.
PlayerNet/Min at PKI
Newton0.57
Hawkins0.17
Jackson0.54
Karaban0.21
Sanogo0.47
Diarra0.29
Alleyne0.16
Calcaterra0.40
Clingan0.83

Reaction Score
The average is pretty straightforward since they all played same number of games in the tournament and sample size isn't really high enough for any meaningful analysis. I did the full season average pre-PKI and I'll probably do it again before conference play.

Here's by minute PKI-only.
PlayerNet/Min at PKI
Newton0.57
Hawkins0.17
Jackson0.54
Karaban0.21
Sanogo0.47
Diarra0.29
Alleyne0.16
Calcaterra0.40
Clingan0.83
I'm surprised Karaban is among the lowest, but I suppose most of his contribution has been at limiting mistakes, which maybe doesn't show up as either positive or negative in the accounting.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Calcaterra's only negative plays are generally on defense, and usually only a couple per game. On offense, he's heady and very rarely makes any mistakes. He makes his open shots,

I was shocked because in the Iowa state game he made his first triple which was a fairly contested quick trigger 3 , and a timely shot in gaining our separation, and then in the 2nd half had a couple of the most open 3's I've seen him take this year and missed. And that's fine. I only mention it because he has spoiled me (us) so much already I think EVERY shot is dropping. He has ice water in his veins. I really like this kid.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Thank you for putting in the work. It's good to trust your eyes but it's great when there is math that confirms what your eyes tell you. Convention stats do not do justice for a disruptive, unconventional player like Jackson.

Andre Jackson is one of the top 5 players in College basketball this year and he really doesn't score. ( you could offer me any player in trade in D1 this year for AJ and I wouldn't take any of them and only even consider 5 before rejecting them) . This is hens tooth type stuff. He simply changes games on both ends without being a bucket getter. And he's just getting ramped up.

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson is one of the top 5 players in College basketball this year and he really doesn't score. ( you could offer me any player in trade in D1 this year for AJ and I wouldn't take any of them and only even consider 5 before rejecting them) . This is hens tooth type stuff. He simply changes games on both ends without being a bucket getter. And he's just getting ramped up.
Can you imagine how good he'd be if he were able to handle the point?

Reaction Score
I'm surprised Karaban is among the lowest, but I suppose most of his contribution has been at limiting mistakes, which maybe doesn't show up as either positive or negative in the accounting.
Yeah what you said is true. And Jackson is cutting into his playmaking a bit. They're using Jackson in center of zone instead of Karaban, etc. He's a bit more spot-up shooter who makes occasional cuts and keeps ball moving with Jackson in the lineup. And like Oregon was huge with all world athletes at 4/5 and he was 1v1 a lottery pick and he wasn't able to make as big an impact on the boards or on defense. Alabama had some veteran tough athletic 4s (but he still did well). Iowa St D structure limited him a bit, too, I think, and their 4s were a zero on offense so he wasn't involved in the play much.

Reaction Score
Seems like we need a BY fund for a group Minitab license or something. Lots of good data floating around the site lately

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Seems like we need a BY fund for a group Minitab license or something. Lots of good data floating around the site lately
Lots of great data and information for a long time.

A lot less OTT poster antagonism with other posters cluttering the threads during this win streak. A welcome respite!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is a good idea. There’s this Michigan site called MGoBlog that does something similar to this called “Under Further Review/UFRs”. It’s a sponsored segment for them. If you have the time it’d be cool to see the breakdowns and notes in this kind of format @auror

Reaction Score
Out of my entire life of playing, coaching and watching basketball (I’m 33 years old and been playing since 7 yo), I have never witnessed a player that plays as unselfishly as Andre Jackson.

I have never seen someone who doesn’t care even an ounce for himself but completely cares about everyone else on the team.

He is a coaches dream player and all the detractors of AJ on this board need to eat crow. Yeah, he has his shortcomings but how can you not love a guy who literally gives everything he has to benefit everyone else around him.

Reaction Score
This is my bigger gripe with Andre. He has the athleticism to blow by and finish over any defender. Nobody should be able to guard him 1 on 1.
What I've noticed is that sometimes he jumps from SO FAR out that it makes the layup more difficult because he's on the way down when he finally gets to the rim. He probably should take another step in and then try to yam it and draw a foul.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Out of my entire life of playing, coaching and watching basketball (I’m 33 years old and been playing since 7 yo), I have never witnessed a player that plays as unselfishly as Andre Jackson.

I have never seen someone who doesn’t care even an ounce for himself but completely cares about everyone else on the team.

He is a coaches dream player and all the detractors of AJ on this board need to eat crow. Yeah, he has his shortcomings but how can you not love a guy who literally gives everything he has to benefit everyone else around him.
Probably not a coincidence that he is a captain and this team’s assist numbers are stellar

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom