Pizza in Providence | The Boneyard

Pizza in Providence

Reaction Score
My son and grandson will be in Providence this weekend for junior hockey and are looking for a recommendation for a great pizza place, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction Score
Uncle Tony’s Pizza & Pasta in East Providence (10 mins from Brown Univ.) is fantastic!!

Reaction Score
and then keep driving southwest until you get to real pizza in New York.
Nah, you can just stop at New Haven. The "pizza capital" (according to the Prez). No need to go further west. Although I will admit that Brooklyn does have some really good places also.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm kinda disappointed no one has thrown in a Domino's, Little Ceasar's or DiGiorgno recommendation yet.

I recognize you're joking, but RI isn't Indiana. There are places around Federal Hill that will beat stuff in the Valley. Hell, I've had pretty good pizza in Woonsocket.

Nah, you can just stop at New Haven. The "pizza capital" (according to the Prez). No need to go further west. Although I will admit that Brooklyn does have some really good places also.

Can we please stop referencing this talentless hack as some culinary expert? People influenced by this schmuck probably now eat bad taco salads because Trump and claim they're righteous.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I recognize you're joking, but RI isn't Indiana. There are places around Federal Hill that will beat stuff in the Valley. Hell, I've had pretty good pizza in Woonsocket.

Can we please stop referencing this talentless hack as some culinary expert? People influenced by this schmuck probably now eat bad taco salads because Trump and claim they're righteous.

Well Patrick Stewart said Pepe's was best. As for Providence, it's got plenty of Italians and Italian restaurants as you point out. It's certainly not Dominoes land and competes well with CT outside of NH.

Anyway, what is the place in Woonsocket? That's close to me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Anyway, what is the place in Woonsocket? That's close to me.

Don't recall, twas years ago. But if you've lived there for a long time, it wasn't too far from the old Burger Chef. Yeah, I'm ancient. I went out with a girl from there for awhile. She was hot enough that as a 23 year old, I ate a raw snail salad at The Bijou just to get in her pants.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don't recall, twas years ago. But if you've lived there for a long time, it wasn't too far from the old Burger Chef. Yeah, I'm ancient. I went out with a girl from there for awhile. She was hot enough that as a 23 year old, I ate a raw snail salad at The Bijou just to get in her pants.

Hell, you actually went into Woonsocket...that's enough.

I did digging, found the Burger Chef became Burger King and is on Social Street. Can't find a pizza place nearby that looks promising. Just a place called Sunrise Pizza.

I'm dying for a good place. Rock n Coal is all I've got

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hell, you actually went into Woonsocket...that's enough.

I did digging, found the Burger Chef became Burger King and is on Social Street. Can't find a pizza place nearby that looks promising. Just a place called Sunrise Pizza.

I'm dying for a good place. Rock n Coal is all I've got

Yeah, sorry. It was definitely an Italian name (though possibly owned by Greeks), not Sunrise. But this was in early 80s, so probably condos by now!

Reaction Score
Providence Friar guy's tend to hate UConn, but Caserta's does make a decent pizza. The pizza eating equivalent of eating of eating a pie while watching ex Prov Mayor, Buddy Cianci, removes his whig. But what are excellent at Caserta's are the Calzones. A "Pepper Pig", an Italian sausage and roast peppers calzone. Another is the "Wimpy Skippy". A calzone of spinach & pepperoni. Have either one of these and you start felling like Bobby Deniro in Raging Bull.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score

big yikes

Reaction Score
I actually think his review scores are decently accurate. Enough to use for where to go and not go. I guess you don't feel the same way.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I actually think his review scores are decently accurate. Enough to use for where to go and not go. I guess you don't feel the same way.

I don't. IMO, as far as CT goes, he's visiting places that are well vetted. And I'd trust the opinions of 95% of the folks here on the BY regarding pizza over some Boston bro internet "star" who's just passing through.

FTR, he's got Regina (9.1) almost equal to Sally's (9.2) and well above Modern (8.8) and Pepe's (8.5). Pretty sure you'll find arguments on that over here. He's also has Santarpio's (8.2), Colony (8.4) and Riko's (8.2) handily above Bar (7.4). Chuck E. Cheese got a 6.0.

So yeah, I don't think much of his rating system.

Reaction Score
I don't. IMO, as far as CT goes, he's visiting places that are well vetted. And I'd trust the opinions of 95% of the folks here on the BY regarding pizza over some Boston bro internet "star" who's just passing through.

FTR, he's got Regina (9.1) almost equal to Sally's (9.2) and well above Modern (8.8) and Pepe's (8.5). Pretty sure you'll find arguments on that over here. He's also has Santarpio's (8.2), Colony (8.4) and Riko's (8.2) handily above Bar (7.4). Chuck E. Cheese got a 6.0.

So yeah, I don't think much of his rating system.

I think you're taking it too seriously.

Also - and I know this is sacrilege - you catch any of these hallowed New Haven spots on a bad day and they're nothing special.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think you're taking it too seriously.

Also - and I know this is sacrilege - you catch any of these hallowed New Haven spots on a bad day and they're nothing special.

It's a big picture holistic thing for me. Not just this guy and pizza. It's the downfall of society in general because idiots are looking to other idiots for everything from food to parenting to social acceptance and everything in between. It's not about the quality of the content and thought, it's about the number of likes.

Yeah, I'm cranky. Critical thinking skills are at an all time low, IMO.

As to your other point, yeah, that happens. And technically I should be on the same page as this twit since I love bar/tavern pies like Colony and Star and Linwood. But that's not what most people think of as pizza. But his act is simple schtick for pageviews, as his nickname suggests.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom