PITINOS WISH FOR NEXT BE COMMISIONER | The Boneyard

PITINOS WISH FOR NEXT BE COMMISIONER

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Link didn't work for me try this one

It's an interesting idea. I don't know anything about Bilas' legal practice. It does remove one of the few friendly commentators.

Reaction Score
Too basketball orientated for my liking:

About Jay (from his website): "Jay Bilas, ESPN broadcaster and attorney, is one of basketball’s strongest voices. He joined ESPN as a college basketball analyst in 1995 and today serves as game and studio analyst, working more than 40 games a season and co-hosting ESPN’s popular road show, College GameDay. He also is a regular contributor to SportsCenter, ESPN.com, ESPN The Magazine and ESPN radio, and he provides commentary on coverage of the NBA Draft and NCAA Final Four.

Bilas is a two-time Emmy nominee for Best Studio Analyst and in 2010 was named Best Game Analyst by Sports Illustrated. He received “Best Column of the Year” from the US Basketball Writers Association and the “Distinguished Young Alumni Award” from Duke Law School.

The 6’8” Bilas was a four-year starter for Mike Krzyzewski at Duke from 1982-86. He finished his career with 1,062 points, 692 rebounds, and was third among Duke’s all-time career field-goal percentage leaders (56 percent). As a senior, Bilas was a starter on the 37-win Duke squad that played in the 1986 NCAA Championship game.

He graduated from Duke with a degree in political science in 1986 and from Duke Law School in 1992. He has been litigation attorney with the Charlotte, N.C., firm of Moore & Van Allen, PLLC since 1992.
Bilas was one of two student-athletes in the nation appointed to the NCAA's Long-Range Planning Committee (1984-86). He appeared on CBS's Face the Nation on April 7, 1985 to discuss academics and athletics. During summers, he worked as a production assistant for ABC Sports, which included stints at the 1983 PGA Championship, the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles and in 1984 and 85 with Monday Night Baseball. A 1986 NBA draft pick of the Dallas Mavericks, Bilas played professionally in Italy (1987-88) and Spain (1989) before returning to Duke as an assistant coach from 1990-92. The Blue Devils made three NCAA Championship Game appearances during his tenure as a coach, winning the championship in ‘91 and ‘92.

A member of the Screen Actors Guild, Bilas has appeared in various commercials, an episode of the television show The White Shadow and had a feature role in the 1989 Columbia Pictures movie I Come in Peace. A native of Rolling Hills, Calif., Bilas averaged 23.7 points and 13.5 rebounds as a senior at Rolling Hills High School."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The most important trait of the next commissioner, other than competence, is relationships within the CFB community. As much as I like Bilas, he's just another BB guy, though the fact that he's not from Providence would be a step forward for the Big East.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I like the guy, don't care if he doesn't have a football background. He's a Dukie, yet you never feel he is biased. He's extremely knowledgeable and well-spoken. He knows what drives the bus. He knows the TV landscape. Sign me up.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I love this idea. I agree that he is more basketball knowledgeable than football but the man is totally all-in on what he does. He's one of the few analysts on ESPN I can handle and I really enjoy him. He's great to follow on Twitter as well. He's one of the few people who felt UConn was getting jobbed by the NCAA with the APR. He'd definitely make an interesting hire and he's got ins with ESPN already. I think he'd take the football side and make sure the Big East was in the best position possible.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I love this idea. I agree that he is more basketball knowledgeable than football but the man is totally all-in on what he does. He's one of the few analysts on ESPN I can handle and I really enjoy him. He's great to follow on Twitter as well. He's one of the few people who felt UConn was getting jobbed by the NCAA with the APR. He'd definitely make an interesting hire and he's got ins with ESPN already. I think he'd take the football side and make sure the Big East was in the best position possible.

I agree with the last two comments. On principle, I hate Duke and most every Dookie, but I have always made the exception for Bilas. It is undeniable that he is a high-quality individual who, for the most part, stays fair and balanced. Even when surrounded by a pack of dunderheads, he seems to find his way out of the $#itshow and bring quality ideas.

Should he be the next commish? I don't know. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to giving him an interview...

Reaction Score
The BE should take some of the millions from departing teams and make Swarbrick of ND an offer he could not refuse. You may hate ND and the way it has screwed the BE over the years but the man is will connected on the FB side and from what I have heard also well respected by his peers.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The BE should take some of the millions from departing teams and make Swarbrick of ND an offer he could not refuse. You may hate ND and the way it has screwed the BE over the years but the man is will connected on the FB side and from what I have heard also well respected by his peers.

That offer that they couldn't refuse would eat up the Big East "legal coffers" in about 2 years, I'm afraid. I like the out-of-the-box thinking, but 40 million ain't what it used to be...

Reaction Score
That offer that they couldn't refuse would eat up the Big East "legal coffers" in about 2 years, I'm afraid. I like the out-of-the-box thinking, but 40 million ain't what it used to be...
Not suggesting that the BE offer him $20M per year, yikes! But it seems to me that if he was offered, lets say a 5 year contract at $2.5-3M per year he would at least have to consider it. I'm pretty sure it would make himthe highest paid commissioner in the country. For the BE point of view we get a well connected, football centric comissioner with great contacts at NBC. He just might be worth the price.

Reaction Score
Not suggesting that the BE offer him $20M per year, yikes! But it seems to me that if he was offered, lets say a 5 year contract at $2.5-3M per year he would at least have to consider it. I'm pretty sure it would make himthe highest paid commissioner in the country. For the BE point of view we get a well connected, football centric comissioner with great contacts at NBC. He just might be worth the price.

Not bad logic... Is his ego big enough?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Oh, I'm sorry! I misunderstood you. I thought that you were looking to grab Swarbrick AND Notre Dame. That's where the 20M per year came from. Otherwise, God no! 2.5M will do just fine...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

If ND are the Yankees of CFB. There is nothing to suggest Swarbrick could run a small market team like the BE.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Bilas would be a great choice. He has the smarts and the ego-- as well as the negotiating skills, to be effective. I don't care at all about his lack of football experience. Larry Scott was a tennis guy. Can you imagine if the Pac 12 had disqualified him on that basis.

Reaction Score
As I wrote on another thread about this subject, the very idea that this would even be taken semi-seriously by anyone is an indication of what is wrong with the Big East and why we need to be moving heaven and earth to get out as quickly as possible....Larry Scott was the Commissioner of a Tennis tour...negotiated contracts not only with tv but with various s event sponsors and tour sponsors, dealt with agents,oversaw marketing, all that sort of thing. Not even vaguely a comparison with Bilas.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As I wrote on another thread about this subject, the very idea that this would even be taken semi-seriously by anyone is an indication of what is wrong with the Big East and why we need to be moving heaven and earth to get out as quickly as possible....Larry Scott was the Commissioner of a Tennis tour...negotiated contracts not only with tv but with various s event sponsors and tour sponsors, dealt with agents,oversaw marketing, all that sort of thing. Not even vaguely a comparison with Bilas.

The Big East needs someone that is well spoken and well respected to be a voice and the face of the conference. Who knows if Bilas would be that guy, but he certainly fits the bill.

Who cares if Larry Scott was the commissioner of a tennis tour of all things. The product at the end of the day isn't that desirable compared to the other 5 conferences, no matter who is negotiating the contract.

I trust Bilas and a group of media consultants that brings on board will be better than any Providence-mafia buffoons we have been used to. It's not like Bilas isn't a smart guy, Duke undergrad and law degree from Duke? Sure beats an undergraduate degree in business management from Providence College.

Reaction Score
As I wrote on another thread about this subject, the very idea that this would even be taken semi-seriously by anyone is an indication of what is wrong with the Big East .

Pete Rozelle was a lawyer (just like Bilas) who never played football (just like Bilas). As I recall he did a pretty good job!

Reaction Score
Pete Rozelle was a lawyer (just like Bilas) who never played football (just like Bilas). As I recall he did a pretty good job!

Just like any corporation... It's all about building your team and surrounding yourself w/ complementary players.

Reaction Score
Media savvy and quick wit are very important in media perception. Bilas has that in spades.

This is sad, but if you gave me the chance to choose between Bilas and whoever is behind door #2 as chosen by BE leaders, I take Bilas after no more than 30 seconds of kicking it around in my head. Not sure if that means I really like Jay Bilas in general or really doubt the brain trust, but I think it's a bit of both.

Btw, just because Rick Pitino came up with the idea, it doesn't make it stupid. Slick Rick is no dummy, never was. He just has a lot to say and Twitter makes people talk too much. Something stupid is bound to come out now and then but this isn't one of those times.

Reaction Score
Media savvy and quick wit are very important in media perception. Bilas has that in spades.

This is sad, but if you gave me the chance to choose between Bilas and whoever is behind door #2 as chosen by BE leaders, I take Bilas after no more than 30 seconds of kicking it around in my head. Not sure if that means I really like Jay Bilas in general or really doubt the brain trust, but I think it's a bit of both.

Btw, just because Rick Pitino came up with the idea, it doesn't make it stupid. Slick Rick is no dummy, never was. He just has a lot to say and Twitter makes people talk too much. Something stupid is bound to come out now and then but this isn't one of those times.

I still think it was a trial ballon floated by the Bilas team despite denials that he doesn't want the job.

Reaction Score
He never played football but he was the marketing director for the Olympics, then pr director for the Rams, and Rams GM. Before you start making these comparisons, do a minimal amount of research, maybe. He had a sports marketing background and a football background.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
He never played football but he was the marketing director for the Olympics, then pr director for the Rams, and Rams GM. Before you start making these comparisons, do a minimal amount of research, maybe. He had a sports marketing background and a football background.
I agree with you. I think Bilas would be a poor choice... that being said he'd probably be better than whatever the "brain trust" in Providence comes up with.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I think Bilas would be a poor choice... that being said he'd probably be better than whatever the "brain trust" in Providence comes up with.
Well, I guess I can't disagree with you on that point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom