Pitino on Expansion | The Boneyard

Pitino on Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He sounds positive. Once again though, pound your chest when its signed, sealed and delivered. Nothing wrong with silence.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He sounds positive. Once again though, pound your chest when its signed, sealed and delivered. Nothing wrong with silence.
ESPN is not being silent. We aren't being silent. There is a lot at stake with getting Boise, Air Force and so on into the BE. Getting interviews by celebrity coaches from the BE could be a factor in the offered universities decision making. Not many coaches in the MWC and the CUSA getting interviewed. But JC and Pitino and Geno are. And someone at Boise has to be wondering if staying in the MWC will generate the same Buzz as being part of the BE.

Reaction Score
Kind of ironic that the celebrity coaches are to convince someone at Boise to come to the Big East when these coaches coach in a sport that Boise State won't play.
ESPN is not being silent. We aren't being silent. There is a lot at stake with getting Boise, Air Force and so on into the BE. Getting interviews by celebrity coaches from the BE could be a factor in the offered universities decision making. Not many coaches in the MWC and the CUSA getting interviewed. But JC and Pitino and Geno are. And someone at Boise has to be wondering if staying in the MWC will generate the same Buzz as being part of the BE.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, I didn't think it was a good idea... but Rick Pitino says it is. I'll just ignore the fact that Rick Pitino might not be affiliated with the league 6 weeks from now, nevermind 6 years from now.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Well, I didn't think it was a good idea... but Rick Pitino says it is. I'll just ignore the fact that Rick Pitino might not be affiliated with the league 6 weeks from now, nevermind 6 years from now.
If the Big 12 offers Ville and WVU in the near future they are gone from the BE. Even if the BE hangs tough for 18 months, gets a great contract comparable to other conferences and looks to have stabilized things, there is no certainty teams won't leave if invited. But that is an inherent risk about everything in life.

So the BE has to push for this move and schools like Boise have to decide if the risks of joining the BE are worth leaving the MWC. My feeling is Boise is in the drivers seat in this choice. If they come to the BE and it still implodes, they get a couple of years of great national exposure and most likely will be a candidate for one of the other stable conferences if things go wrong. The other schools will still be able to go back to a mid conference and Navy can go back to being independent if it wanted to.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Kind of ironic that the celebrity coaches are to convince someone at Boise to come to the Big East when these coaches coach in a sport that Boise State won't play.
I always get the irony definition messed up. But you are correct in that it is the BE bb celebs doing the promos. I don't think that matters. GT, Nova, St. Johns and Cuse carried the BE bb early in its history. More recently those teams minus St. Johns have been augmented by UConn, Pitt, Cuse, ND, Marquette, Cinci and WV. So the people at Boise have to debate can they help bring the BE football to some level of notoriety. And if that can happen, they can see how sexy the BE conference can be on the national scale, by looking at the bb side of the equation.

Reaction Score
He did as best he could with the situation. He was off base with the "try to take away a bcs bid from the academies" statement though.
This is as good as any but it still leaves the league with its most basic problem: partial membership.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing for some of these schools. Let's say UConn, West Virginia, Louisville, and Rutgers all leave. That certainly weakens their conference.

However, the BE is cherry-picking the best teams from these school's conferences. Even if those schools leave, their still in a better conference. Cincy and USF are better than every team in Conference USA, and every team but Boise in the MWC. Houston and SMU are good and have huge upsides. UCF does as well. If those schools leave and the BE takes Temple, UMass, and a couple others, its still better than what Conference USA and MWC have.

Reaction Score
This conference can last a while if it wanted to. I think we have a better overall conference than the ACC. Maybe except in lacrosse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom