Pin this loss on Geno. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pin this loss on Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I submit that the criticisms of Coach are fair.

I thought there was more than adequate opportunity to foul McBride before she shot, as she dribbled to get herself set. It places her on the line for 2 shots down 3 with about 6 seconds left, and Bonita Spence nowhere in sight. McBride then has to hit the first, miss the second on purpose while still hitting the rim. ND then must coral the offensive rebound and score - all working out perfectly in roughly 5 seconds. As a general rule, it's not quite so black and white - one has to make sure the player isn't shooting, etc... But in this particular instance, there was no way for McBride to adjust off her dribble had UConn had decided to let the clock run a few secs before fouling her.

Reminds me of the Coach Belichick decision in Super Bowl XLVI to let the Giants score a TD giving Brady the ball back with 50 seconds to go, down 4, instead of defending a game winning FG from about 21 yards out as time expired. I'm a massive Giant fan but that was an outside the box call few others would have done (including Coach Coughlin I suspect), from a brilliant outside the box coach giving his team the best chance to win.

As for the rest - I didn't agree with Coach's rotations - particularly with respect to the point, especially as it became more apparent that Doty and to a lesser extent Hartly were having real difficulty running the offense. Granted Jefferson committed a foolish turnover almost immediately upon entering the game - but putting a freshman in a game like this at the point after sitting for so long is a very tough task. I'd have much preferred to have Jefferson - with her phenomenal recovery speed and best on team lateral movement - harassing Diggins for long spells, with Faris the best choice to defend McBride.

I also thought there were opportunities down the final stretch and the end of the first 2 OT's to go offense - defense, Red Holzman-style, with Stokes on defense, especially after Dolson fouled out. Stokes has shown to be a superior defensive rebounder and shot blocker.

Lastly, I thought the offense often placed players with questionable handles in positions where they could easily be harassed (and doubled). E.g. Dolson at the high block in traffic, where she was forced her to pass or dribble facing the basket, leading to an astonishing 11 turnovers, and 6-14 shooting. Same with Stewart - 5 turnovers, 1-7 shooting, including 3 threes, all of which she missed.

As for the rest - I'm with the consensus - even with all that the game was ultimately lost at the foul line. But I'd love to see a statistical breakdown of Dennis Demayo's calls. His "attacking the player with one's throat" call against Dolson defied belief.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think there was a lot of responsibility for the loss, including obviously missed FTs. I think that we should have set whatever screens needed to get KML the ball when ND was fouling. I also think Geno needed to call a timeout late in regulation. And I think fouling McBride would have been smart. Yeah, ND could have made one and then scored on an offensive rebound--think last year's putback by Novosel--but I'd put in all our rebounders. After SJU beat is on a three last year, I don't let the team even get the shot off. Plus, I think Stokes could have been a factor against the ND guards last night. So, I do think Geno could have done better.

Additionally, I think we missed Brianna, ND is gutsy, and some BS calls factored in too.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think there was a lot of responsibility for the loss, including obviously missed FTs. I think that we should have set whatever screens needed to get KML the ball when ND was fouling. I also think Geno needed to call a timeout late in regulation. And I think fouling McBride would have been smart. Yeah, ND could have made one and then scored on an offensive rebound--think last year's putback by Novosel--but I'd put in all our rebounders. After SJU beat is on a three last year, I don't let the team even get the shot off. Plus, I think Stokes could have been a factor against the ND guards last night. So, I do think Geno could have done better.

Additionally, I think we missed Brianna, ND is gutsy, and some BS calls factored in too.

I've gone back and forth on whether to foul McBride. Sounds like Geno debated it and decided against doing it for good reasons (he took the ball out of Diggins' hands, 3-point shooting is not McBride's strength and the Irish hadn't made one all night). But before I'd question the strategy, I would have liked to see just a little bit of defense by Kaleena on McBride. If you know she has to shoot a 3, why don't you get up on her and force her to take a contested shot. As Geno said: "I never thought the kid would walk up to the three-point line and we'd watch her shoot it either. It has been that kind of year."

Reaction Score
I've gone back and forth on whether to foul McBride. Sounds like Geno debated it and decided against doing it for good reasons (he took the ball out of Diggins' hands, 3-point shooting is not McBride's strength and the Irish hadn't made one all night). But before I'd question the strategy, I would have liked to see just a little bit of defense by Kaleena on McBride. If you know she has to shoot a 3, why don't you get up on her and force her to take a contested shot. As Geno said: "I never thought the kid would walk up to the three-point line and we'd watch her shoot it either. It has been that kind of year."

Clearly yes. KML botched it, plain and simple.

There's absolutely no way I would've fouled there.

Reaction Score
The biggest Geno FAIL was NOT fouling ND on the last possession of the 2nd overtime (??) up three, allowing ND the opportunity to shoot a tying 3-point shot that went in with a "luck of the Irish" bounce. I look forward to hearing his comments regarding this.

A UConn intentional foul would have been with 10 seconds left - way too early to do that. If they foul, ND likely makes two FT's and then immediately fouls UConn with 9+ seconds. If UConn doesn't hit two - and the way they shot, that wasn't likely - then ND is coming down court again needing only a two-pointer.

An intentional foul doesn't make sense statistically until there are less than 6 seconds left - maybe less. In fact, some very elaborate statistical analyses have concluded that an intentional foul doesn't make sense until there are less than two seconds left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba22

Top Bottom