Pillow Suggestions - Shoulder Pain | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pillow Suggestions - Shoulder Pain

Reaction Score
Pinched nerve? See a chiropractor?

I'm in the "chiropractors are snake-oil salesman" camp. Go to a DPT. They are 100x more helpful and can actually teach you to solve your problems instead of needing to come back for an adjustment every 2 weeks until you die. MDs I know consider chiropractors pseudoscience, and it seems there's a bit of literature to support that. Personally, I just can't get on board with people calling themselves doctor if they don't have an MD in a medical setting. There's a lot of issues with the entire field.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
seems like 'shoulder pain' issues are rocketing up the top of the pops complaint charts lately.
i wonder iffn it has anything to do with the also epidemic issue of people sitting too much. nah, it can't be that easy an ezpz explanation, can it?
yup, it is.
here's a classic solution not involving drugs, quacks, or the dependent need to lug around pillows when u leave home - exercise.
get a weight lifting bar (even just starting with the bar and no weights, or a broomstick is a great start.) put a few pounds on it to start, with an eye towards slowly increasing the weights over time. do a dozen or so curls, then do a dozen or so lifts in front of ur mug up to over ur head. alternate this move with lifting it up to behind ur head this time or next. no magic number or routine, but one or both of these lift up moves will prolly result in an aha! moment of pain as u learn where the problem is.
lather, rinse, repeat 3/ 4 times a week, and before u know it, a month or so will go by, and u'll realize that, well, let's just call it 'enlightenment.'

u can build muscle at any age, so strengthening the collateral muscles to the affected area is just, well, let's call it 'enlightenment, ie, lightening the load that ur cranky part is expected to carry. and, get out of the chair more often.

Reaction Score
My family and I all use Pluto Pillows. You fill out a questionnaire and they make you a custom pillow based on how you sleep, positioning, temperature preference, etc. Before this I went through a bunch of pillows and after like 3 days hated them all. This is the one pillow you will need.

Reaction Score
I'm in the "chiropractors are snake-oil salesman" camp. Go to a DPT. They are 100x more helpful and can actually teach you to solve your problems instead of needing to come back for an adjustment every 2 weeks until you die. MDs I know consider chiropractors pseudoscience, and it seems there's a bit of literature to support that. Personally, I just can't get on board with people calling themselves doctor if they don't have an MD in a medical setting. There's a lot of issues with the entire field.
I've had good luck with several. One saved me from spinal fusion of my neck area that was recommended by a "real" doctor.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
talk aboot coincidence... here's a tale that i just heard yesterday, while talking to an old pal that i haven't spoke with in months.
like a broken clock, sumtimes the quacks actually do come up good ideas that don't have a lot of risk to try. like a blind squirrel finding a nut.
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection: How It Works | HSS
old pal told me that his years-long bad shoulder magically disappeared after this treatment somewhere in New Haven. he said that he could not scratch his left shoulder with his right hand for years, and now he can.

logical, sound-in-concept, low risk of adverse reaction.
mebbe, just mebbe.

Reaction Score
I've been having these same issues, along with 5 bulging discs (2 in my neck, 3 in my back) and wake up every morning with excruciating neck/shoulder/back pain. Any mattress pillow combination success stories for those with similar issues?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've been having these same issues, along with 5 bulging discs (2 in my neck, 3 in my back) and wake up every morning with excruciating neck/shoulder/back pain. Any mattress pillow combination success stories for those with similar issues?
I feel for you. There were times when I could only find relief in a recliner.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Coop - you’re welcome.
Gotta hand it to you @Zionn . Been sleeping on a Coop for 4 nights now, and that is one hella comfortable pillow…plus no shoulder pain yet. I appreciate the suggestion. How long do these things typically last before flattening out, in your experience?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gotta hand it to you @Zionn . Been sleeping on a Coop for 4 nights now, and that is one hella comfortable pillow…plus no shoulder pain yet. I appreciate the suggestion. How long do these things typically last before flattening out, in your experience?
Good to hear. I got one for my wife for her birthday, which is at the end of the month, and it just arrived today.

I‘m still good with my tempurpedic neck pillow, but I figure if I like hers well enough I‘ll get another for myself.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Never - I've turned so many on to this pillow. Complete gamechanger.
Coop for the win. 1 year with it and I am shocked how I love it. Still haven't added any of the extra "Oooomph."

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Hey folks, wondering if any of you might have some ideas for this issue I’m having.

I sleep on my side and tend to keep my arm up and under the pillow, sort of supporting my head/pillow. From what I’ve read that’s not a great sleep position, and I’m starting to notice it with some serious shoulder pain. I’ve seen a number of sites that claim to address this problem, but I’m kinda at information overload so I’m looking for some suggestions from you fine people. I know we’ve had extensive discussions about mattresses on here, but can anyone recommend a good pillow for dealing with shoulder pain in that kind of sleep position?

Thanks in advance y’all!

Happens to me every couple years (cervical radiculopathy). The right pillow helps, but the only thing that absolutely works for me is a six day prednisone pack. Six the first day, five the second, and so on.

Call your doctor or go to a walk in clinic.

For me, the pain is gone in about a day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom