Pikiell signs long-term extension with Rutgers | The Boneyard

Pikiell signs long-term extension with Rutgers

Reaction Score
There may be some on the BY doubting Pikiell, but not Jim Calhoun.

Here's an interesting blurb about both Calhoun and Pikiell from an article from NJ.com back in March 2016

Just how much does Calhoun like Pikiell? He told NJ Advance Media that he had two opportunities to take over Big Ten programs since retiring at Connecticut, and each time, he had planned to bring Pikiell along as his "coach in waiting." The 73-year-old opted to stay retired instead

Why Jim Calhoun thinks Steve Pikiell will turn Rutgers around | Politi

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So, this could be an indication that KO's seat is a bit warmer than some on here may think.
It's an indication that Pikiell knows AD David Benedict isn't going to stay within the family for the next coach.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's an indication that Pikiell knows AD David Benedict isn't going to stay within the family for the next coach.
Not saying you're wrong about what UConn will do when it replaces Ollie, but if Rutgers approached him about an extension because it was concerned about the chance that he might be scooped up by UConn, do you think Pikiell would have rejected it even if he thought he was still in line for consideration to replace Ollie?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Not saying you're wrong about what UConn will do when it replaces Ollie, but if Rutgers approached him about an extension because it was concerned about the chance that he might be scooped up by UConn, do you think Pikiell would have rejected it even if he thought he was still in line for consideration to replace Ollie?
I think there's a possibility, yeah.

Whatever, though. I'm happy for the guy – he's a true Husky, and he's going to have a chance to be to Rutgers was Calhoun is to UConn. I just hope we don't end up looking like clowns because we missed out on a guy whose dream was to coach in Storrs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think there's a possibility, yeah.

Whatever, though. I'm happy for the guy – he's a true Husky, and he's going to have a chance to be to Rutgers was Calhoun is to UConn. I just hope we don't end up looking like clowns because we missed out on a guy whose dream was to coach in Storrs.
I don't know what to believe. I also think he has a very good opportunity there, but littlejohn says he's a stiff who would never have gotten a sniff from the likes of UConn under any circumstances; and littlejohn claims to have his finger on the pulse of the program more so than anyone else.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't know what to believe. I also think he has a very good opportunity there, but littlejohn says he's a stiff who would never have gotten a sniff from the likes of UConn under any circumstances; and littlejohn claims to have his finger on the pulse of the program more so than anyone else.

I have no idea either. But I really don't think Pikiell was a candidate here. I don't think the AD would go back to that well again, and I think it would be awkward to replace Ollie with a guy who played with Ollie. This is probably nothing more than Steve Pikiell being at a B1G school and getting a nice contract extension and jumping on it after toiling a long time at lower salary levels.

Reaction Score
Here are contract details for Steve Pikiell's extension

Buyout goes up: In the meantime, Pikiell's buyout rates were he to leave Rutgers for another job (like, say, UConn) have increased significantly. If Pikiell were to leave Rutgers between now and March 31, 2019, he will owe the school $5 million, with the buyout decreasing by $1 million in each subsequent year. Pikiell's previous buyout was just $900,000 before the extension.

Reaction Score
Lets not make this out to more than what it is.................a good agent doing good work. I read on twitter that some UConn fans viewed this as Pikiell's real interest in the UConn job. Ummmm, no. If this job is what he wanted, why sign the extension? To me, this is an agent gauging the landscape, knowing KO is on the hot seat, using his clients connection to the program as leverage for a job he has vs one he wouldn't get. Well done and congrats to SP.

Reaction Score
The idea that rutgers is now better than UConn in mens basketball is upsetting.
Fact is Rutgers won the lottery! UConn cannot compete with them. What coach would voluntarily leave the B1G to coach a midmajor team in the AAC? You guys are delusional, but clearly the rumblings got Rutgers to extend his contract with megabucks!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That didn't take long. Thanks, KO!
stupid statement
If anyone here thinks that SP would leave a P5 situation to come to AAC you are absolutely crazy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom