Physical v dirty play | The Boneyard

Physical v dirty play

Is there an argument that some physical play is ok and not dirty.

• Of course......Brittany Griner and Sophie Cunningham have different Games, one dirty, the other not

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No Robbi Ryan and Arike Ogumbwale are the same....dirty and need restraint

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Per Kelly Scaletta: no dirty players its just called basketball.

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
What does BY think, and why.

"Additionally, the idea of the dirty player seems to have been invented during the '80s. Even when trying to tap into the wisdom of my predecessors, their history of dirty players doesn't really start before 1980, either.

That doesn’t mean there weren’t dirty players before that—they probably just called it basketball."

Reaction Score
What does BY think, and why.

"Additionally, the idea of the dirty player seems to have been invented during the '80s. Even when trying to tap into the wisdom of my predecessors, their history of dirty players doesn't really start before 1980, either.

That doesn’t mean there weren’t dirty players before that—they probably just called it basketball."
Interesting to see Arike and Ryan compared to each other. I think that Arike has had more dirty plays documented on her than Ryan during their careers to date.

Dirty play to me means a disregard for the safety of your opponent when attempting a borderline or illegal action on the court. I am all for physical play, but don't like taunting, excessive contact, and/or smack talk on the court. Officials have the power to clean up dirty play with their whistles. When they don't do that, excessive contact and injuries often occur as a result.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
On this topic, I actually went back and rewatched the first half of the Oregon-ASU game because I figured that I must have missed something. The torches-and-pitchforks mob must have seen something I didn't, right?

But for the life of me, I really couldn't identify anything that was so beyond the pale. Oregon's lack of "flow" and scoring output early on was largely due to some missed open shots, including layups, where there was definitely no foul committed. That combined with the usual ASU stingy defense led to a very low-scoring quarter and half.

As far as I could tell, Graves didn't even start complaining to the refs until the middle of the 2nd quarter. There was one play where I thought a foul *could* have been called on a rebound, and Graves seemed to be upset a foul wasn't called, but it was far from the most obvious missed call I've ever seen. There was another play in transition by Minyon Moore where she *might* have been fouled by Bejedi, but really it was a 50/50/50 call between a charge or a block or a no-call, and I don't think the no-call was an egregious decision. (And for that matter, there were also instances where a foul *could* have been called on Oregon but wasn't.)

Also, you can't say the refs were calling "nothing." They called a fair number of fouls, and more on ASU than on Oregon -- which is to be expected because Oregon was able to penetrate with drives and passes better than ASU.

I can't help but get the feeling that Rueck and Graves are just feeling the heat from teams that have beaten them lately and they're now using this little campaign to gain competitive advantage, looking ahead to the Pac-12 tournament. It was way too much of a coincidence that both of them made their statements to the media almost simultaneously.

I'm still with @TheFarmFan -- I have never seen an ASU player even approach the despicable behavior of Ogunbowale, which Rueck should be all too familiar with because it was memorably directed at one of his players last year. Maybe Rueck and Graves can petition the Pac-12 powers-that-be to have ASU and UA replaced with Texas Tech and Arkansas, if all they want is to play teams that make no serious effort at defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On this topic, I actually went back and rewatched the first half of the Oregon-ASU game because I figured that I missed have missed something. The torches-and-pitchforks mob must have seen something I didn't, right?

But for the life of me, I really couldn't identify anything that was so beyond the pale. Oregon's lack of "flow" and scoring output early on was largely due to some missed open shots, including layups, where there was definitely no foul committed. That combined with the usual ASU stingy defense led to a very low-scoring quarter and half.

As far as I could tell, Graves didn't even start complaining to the refs until the middle of the 2nd quarter. There was one play where I thought a foul *could* have been called on a rebound, and Graves seemed to be upset a foul wasn't called, but it was far from the most obvious missed call I've ever seen. There was another play in transition by Minyon Moore where she *might* have been fouled by Bejedi, but really it was a 50/50/50 call between a charge or a block or a no-call, and I don't think the no-call was an egregious decision. (And for that matter, there were also instances where a foul *could* have been called on Oregon but wasn't.)

Also, you can't say the refs were calling "nothing." They called a fair number of fouls, and more on ASU than on Oregon -- which is to be expected because Oregon was able to penetrate with drives and passes better than ASU.

I can't help but get the feeling that Rueck and Graves are just feeling the heat from teams that have beaten them lately and they're now using this little campaign to gain competitive advantage, looking ahead to the Pac-12 tournament. It was way too much of a coincidence that both of them made their statements to the media almost simultaneously.

I'm still with @TheFarmFan -- I have never seen an ASU player even approach the despicable behavior of Ogunbowale, which Rueck should be all too familiar with because it was memorably directed at one of his players last year. Maybe Rueck and Graves can petition the Pac-12 powers-that-be to have ASU and UA replaced with Texas Tech and Arkansas, if all they want is to play teams that make no serious effort at defense.
Plebe's sarcasm aside, the only action that I anticipate that will take place by the PAC-12 will involve reprimanding and/or fining Graves and Rueck for publicly criticizing the officials. Rueck may face the greater penalty because he was reprimanded in 2018 by the conference.

I was surprised to see Rueck's outspoken comments during his postgame interview yesterday. In the wake of an overtime loss and the possible loss of a second starter to a season-ending injury, I can understand his frustration. However, his direct comments about how the game is being officiated must have been made with his understanding that discipline by the conference would be forthcoming. Probably not the attention that the OSU program needs right now.

Reaction Score
On this topic, I actually went back and rewatched the first half of the Oregon-ASU game because I figured that I missed have missed something. The torches-and-pitchforks mob must have seen something I didn't, right?

I'm still with @TheFarmFan -- I have never seen an ASU player even approach the despicable behavior of Ogunbowale,
And as a long time ASU fan I'm with both @Plebe and @TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Only thing that sets me off is when a player takes the legs out from under another. Especially in rebounding when the player comes in from behind and flips the rebounder over them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom