Phil Nolan _ team tidbits | The Boneyard

Phil Nolan _ team tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think KO needs to run a couple of plays for Phil. Set him up with an alley oop---run him off a screen for a 12 footer. A couple of plays a game that go to his strengths. I like his D and I think the coaching staff needs to ask him to simplify his motions. His footwork is just off and I don't see in year improvement anytime soon but thats ok. What i would like Phil to do is to make simple plays. Offensive rebound---go right back up for a dunk or lay in--I mean straight up. No fancy two shoes or bringing the ball down to your waste. Keep the ball high and go right back in strong. If its not there--find an open man--simple as that.

Amida--he has been sensational just great. He won the last two games with his defense. His defense has given our offense time to recover. Hes playing great and I stand by what i say if he takes the time to build his body up 15-17 pounds and adds a year experience--this man will be pick # 1 next year.

Purvis--man on all of his youtube videos--the guy is simply unstoppable on the drive--I mean he looks like D wade. In Div 1 CBB--its been very difficult on him making the same plays. Almost every time he drives its a fail. I like the aggression and determination--but he just needs to pick and choose a tad better. Its ok to make an aggressive mistake but be smart about it.

Calhoun--back from the grave--what a kick starter for this team--without him--we would not have enough--with him--he turns the differential positive.

Reaction Score
yeah at this point Phil just needs to provide good positional defense, and the occasional rebound or easy finish would be an added bonus as well.

Reaction Score
Phil's strange. He has some gifts but they leave his body immediately when he makes a move. He seems to think he has to shimmy and shake, spin all at once rather than just going up and laying itin strong. He gets little or no elevation almost as if he's stuck to the ground, and that makes it so easy to throw his * out. He has a nice looking jumper and a decent jump hook just use those and forget anything else unless wide open!

Reaction Score
Sorry but at this point with a 3rd of the season down, Phil number gets called when Brimah picks up one or two quick calls in the 1st half or later foul trouble. To consider building an offensive set(s) around Phil would be dreamful. We are talking about an NBA pedigree coach here who knows talent and limitations. That's not to say he can't find a contribution or value on this team, just he needs to find it quickly.

Anyway something is wrong, very wrong as he should be better in his 3rd year.

Not sure how much Ollie will wait, but Nolan is what he is a limited marginal player. I think back to Dan Cyrulik, Wane and other past bigs coming off the bench, and often wished Phil would provide a fraction of what those players gave. Is it Phil's fault, teammates, coaches? Who knows but I think Lubin smells pt opportunity even with his lack of experience, and that's over a junior.

Reaction Score
Phil has blown multiple wide open dunks this season, I have no reason to believe he would even be able to execute an alley oop play drawn up for him. As its been said he just needs to contine focusing on D and boxing out for guards and wings to collect rebounds, thats his role.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
You all are high on Phil's defense, but I just don't see it. Sure, he can stand still and take a change, but if he doesn't get the call (which happens often) then he is a serious defensive liability. He has no other basketball skills. Nothing. The only reason he plays is because he is tall. I really do not like seeing him on the court. He is a good clubhouse guy but that's about it because he makes nothing happen on the court. Taking the occasional charge is not enough. I'm sorry but no plays should EVER be drawn up for Phil, and he should only be played in the most desperate of times.

He has lost the weight that he put on over the summer, too, has anyone noticed how thin he looks?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Phil is long and unathletic. I've never seen someone 6'10'' have so much trouble finish at the rim.

Reaction Score
Phil will be fine. He averaged under 4 points and under 3 rebounds a game last year. I know we all want him to contribute more but that looks unlikely.

He is a role player. We need his defense and his fouls. If he can exhibit some Energy Generating Behaviors when he enters the game it's a plus.

At some point he will have an eight point or seven rebound outburst but it is not rational to expect much more than he has been giving us.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You only like his defense because he draws 2 Duke-charges a game. His foul rate (7.1/40 minutes) is actually worse than it was last year (7.0). On offense, he is an empty uniform, who routinely has his shot altered by the 10 foot orange giant. Based on last night however, Lubin deserves more burn.

Reaction Score
Phil's strange. He has some gifts but they leave his body immediately when he makes a move. He seems to think he has to shimmy and shake, spin all at once rather than just going up and laying itin strong. He gets little or no elevation almost as if he's stuck to the ground, and that makes it so easy to throw his * out. He has a nice looking jumper and a decent jump hook just use those and forget anything else unless wide open!

I agree, he frees himself up well on his post moves, but they're not dropping. The lefty hook against Florida was a good, strong move.

I think title game has shaken his confidence about scoring in traffic.

Reaction Score
Confidence is funny thing. Ask Omar. Phil's confidence is high in practice, which earns him minutes during the games so far, but low after a few seconds of playing time. It looks like he is over-thinking things and quickly missing any natural flow or what he is taught and practices. One quick mistake, mentally or physically, and he is toast out there - until the next low pressure practice where he is confident again. That's my dime store psychology of it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Phil is long and unathletic. I've never seen someone 6'10'' have so much trouble finish at the rim.
Maybe so, but he's the best bigman charge-taker in the history of the American.

Reaction Score
phil needs to play better, but lets not forget his role. its limited. crunch time he wont be on the floor. while he is he needs to rebound and take charges thats it

Reaction Score
I agree, he frees himself up well on his post moves, but they're not dropping. The lefty hook against Florida was a good, strong move.

I think title game has shaken his confidence about scoring in traffic.
He has very poor touch around the rim. He put up a shot from about 2-3 ft out yesterday and I don't think it came particularly close to even hitting the rim.

Reaction Score
Phil always has to gather himself to jump and then doesn't get more than 6 inches off the floor. Which allows his defender to get back in position to swat or alter his shot. He has a great spin travel move. But the refs seem to always call it a travel.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"Phil is strong and athletic but I wish he would take more charges."

--Nelson

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He had the ball in the post in the first half last night and he looked liked someone handed him a live grenade. Simply turning to the basket caused him to lose control.

Going forward, he just needs to be 6'10" whenever Amida needs a spell on the bench.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Nolan's stats in 151 minutes (13 games) this year... 15 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 assist, 8 turnovers, 27 fouls.

Lubin's stats in 56 minutes (9 games) this year... 11 points, 12 rebounds, 0 blocks, 2 assists, 2 turnovers, 8 fouls.

Nolan's production almost defies logic for a 6'10" player in his 3rd year with significant minutes under his belt.

Edit: Nolan also hit the bottom of the backboard on a shot that didn't come from the baseline.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Everyone is forgetting what a crucial role he played against Michigan St. last year. He just needs to get back to playing like that.
Play strong position defense. Set solid screens. Make good decisions with the ball. Finish shots at the rim. Just get back to 4 pts & 2 Rebs per game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom