Phees's 1st Q Memphis | The Boneyard

Phees's 1st Q Memphis

Reaction Score
I thought that Napheesa's performance against Memphis was great (notwithstanding sitting some of the second half). Her work ethic in the first quarter was exemplary. If I knew how to embed GIFs showing the below, I would. (Anybody?)

8:30 on its third possession of the game, Napheesa grabs a rebound running through the lane and quickly dishes to Crystal. Everyone turns to run, with Naphesa legging it around Crystal's left and in two steps is slicing through the lane to the basket, sticky fingertips outstretched for an easy two. Kia looks like she thought of putting up a three and got whistled for traveling (her only turnover of the game).

8:00 fourth possession. Phees bodies up Creighton, forcing her to pass. Lou grabs the resulting missed three, and Phees slips down the middle ahead of everybody. Unfortunately, Lou's feed is too deep and Phees throws up a shot just to keep the ball (and herself) from going out of bounds.

7:19 fifth possession. After Memphis scores, UConn brings it up the floor. Eventually, the ball goes to Crystal who wings it to Phees along the sideline. Seeing the match up and a clear lane, Phees takes that deceptively quick first step and is gone. Just beautiful footwork.

6:10 seventh possession. Phees face guards 6'3" Porter, forces a bad shot, then gets the RB. (Gabby TO at the other end negates the possession.)

5:45 eight possession. In the half-court offense, Phees drifts into the weak side corner, catches a cross-court pass from Crystal, drives to the basket between three collapsing defenders, then pulls up to drop one off the glass. Shades of Elgin Baylor.

2:18 Phees grabs a missed Nurse 3 and puts up it back up for 2.

On defense, I did not see anything to criticize. Phees is deceptively strong, and bodies up in the low post as well as anyone on the team.

Reaction Score
Love Pheesa's game. She's so deceptive, so smooth, particularly around the basket. Like Tuck, get her the ball near the net and ring up two points. She and Gabby worked like two halves of the same coin last year so I wonder if the combination of Gabby's "off-nights" and getting used to Azura's increasing minutes is taking some time to get used to? The evolution of this year's team continues.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
What Augusta said.

I thought she played well. She did have one or two lapses when she just lost her mark. There's been speculation that she was under the weather; I choose to believe that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Check this out, it was just posted on Christmas day. Wonder when and where it took place?

Not sure about the location, but Pheesa worked with a basketball trainer over the summer. This video and one or two indoors were posted over the summer/early fall. She was expanding her repertoire, though I've not seen much of the mid-range shot in games.

Reaction Score
Sooner or later those mid to longer range shots are going to start dropping for her in games. She works too hard for it not to happen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sooner or later those mid to longer range shots are going to start dropping for her in games. She works too hard for it not to happen.
I don't think she has taken many. Her 3-point attempts seem to have increased, but she hasn't taken many 8'-15' shots that I can recall.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If we're talking about Pheesa (not Phessa) . . . she's about the last player I'm worried about on UConn's roster. She's an "it" girl: She's got "it" and will always have it. I'm humbled by just being alive to see her play. She's a da Vinci, a Michelangelo, a Max Planck, a Bill Russell, a McCartney . . . she's got it goin' on. And what a smile!!!

Reaction Score
If we're talking about Pheesa (not Phessa) . . . she's about the last player I'm worried about on UConn's roster. She's an "it" girl: She's got "it" and will always have it. I'm humbled by just being alive to see her play. She's a da Vinci, a Michelangelo, a Max Planck, a Bill Russell, a McCartney . . . she's got it goin' on. And what a smile!!!

So right - and the smile, somewhere between the Mona Lisa and the Madonna!

Reaction Score
It is always a pleasure to see someone who admires Phees as much as I. And I like the company she keeps.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I thought that Napheesa's performance against Memphis was great (notwithstanding sitting some of the second half). Her work ethic in the first quarter was exemplary. If I knew how to embed GIFs showing the below, I would. (Anybody?)
HuskyNan had just posted how to embed various attachments and it is listed under this title on the page 2 of forum dialogues (page forward, halfway down). Hope this helps.
Learning the Boneyard, Lesson #8: Other Stuff

Reaction Score
HuskyNan had just posted how to embed various attachments and it is listed under this title on the page 2 of forum dialogues (page forward, halfway down). Hope this helps.
Learning the Boneyard, Lesson #8: Other Stuff
I am still none the wiser. Cannot locate, within the above thread, anything on how to insert a portion of an online video (e.g., UConn games via youtube). One can use Giphy to make a GIF of a portion of a youtube (and other) video. But the source from which the GIF is created cannot be more than 15 minutes long. So, short of first downloading the games and then editing them locally, then making a GIF from that, not sure how to do it. There are tutorials for doing this sort of thing. But the resulting code does not seem to work here. Possible (nay, likely) end-user error.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom