Pheesa | The Boneyard

Pheesa

Reaction Score
If Napheesa Collier had played on any other team her face would be on that school's Mt. Rushmore. At Uconn she is recognized as one of several outstanding players who have gone thru the program. That is one of the results of being a husky. You trade personal glory for National Championships. But if you are a true basketball fan you recognize the gold in the stream as both a player and a person. Give me five Naphessa Collier and I'll play any team in college or the WNBA.

Reaction Score
If Napheesa Collier had played on any other team her face would be on that school's Mt. Rushmore. At Uconn she is recognized as one of several outstanding players who have gone thru the program. That is one of the results of being a husky. You trade personal glory for National Championships. But if you are a true basketball fan you recognize the gold in the stream as both a player and a person. Give me five Naphessa Collier and I'll play any team in college or the WNBA.
If you have five Napheesas who plays point guard?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Everything is temporary. That’s the mantra I use to get myself through hard practices, and the same idea can help us get through this tough period. Eventually it’s going to end, you just have to push through. You really just have to take it a little bit at a time — if you look at the full picture, it can seem daunting. But if you just take it one day at a time and stick to your routine, it’s just way easier to handle everything.

Love this wisdom from Pheesa. Great essay, great player, great human being.

Reaction Score
Favorite UConn player. Ever. Period.

Quiet. Dignified. Measured. Elegant. Efficient. Dedicated. Sporting. Diligent. Relentless. Intelligent.

She never stopped working. Always ran the floor. Never lost her composure. Impeccable footwork. Great inside game. Great rebounder. Great eyes. Great hands. Great length. Great shot blocker. Great passer. Great teammate. An absolute workhorse who not only never missed a single game, but never so much as took a wrong step. She even looked good when fouling.

And without question, the best fingertips of any player I’ve ever seen. Ever!

You can keep all the national championships, trophies, awards and records. Napheesa will always be #1 on my UConn Mount Rushmore.

Reaction Score
Favorite UConn player. Ever. Period.

Quiet. Dignified. Measured. Elegant. Efficient. Dedicated. Sporting. Diligent. Relentless. Intelligent.

She never stopped working. Always ran the floor. Never lost her composure. Impeccable footwork. Great inside game. Great rebounder. Great eyes. Great hands. Great length. Great shot blocker. Great passer. Great teammate. An absolute workhorse who not only never missed a single game, but never so much as took a wrong step. She even looked good when fouling.

And without question, the best fingertips of any player I’ve ever seen. Ever!

You can keep all the national championships, trophies, awards and records. Napheesa will always be #1 on my UConn Mount Rushmore.
Sounds like you’re describing Lobo.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you’re describing Lobo.
We can agree to allow that.

I might also have praised:

Napheesa’s developed and developing arsenal of shots: in-between jumper; that little 10’ set shot; her up and under (shades of Kevin McHale); her Euro step; use of the glass; that indefensible turn around, arching fade away; and eventually a shot beyond the arc (admittedly, never fully deployed during her college years);

and

Her movement without the ball, manifesting itself in many ways, and eliciting comments on her “nose for the ball”, uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time, facility for picking up easy put-backs, getting “garbage” buckets, her agility at deploying the famed Collier “cloaking device”. In a nutshell, it is a key source to what made her “the Silent Assassin” (a phrase I never particularly cared for).

Was there ever a UConn player who moved better—more effectively, efficiently and intelligently—without the ball?

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice comprehensive article on Naphessa by Chantel at the Athletic

Napheesa Collier and the Lynx make it clear: Don't push them around in the WNBA playoffs – The Athletic

The part I found interesting was how hard her freshman year was mentally and how much more impressive Paige being so on top of the mental side of the game was.

"As coach Geno Auriemma installed the offense, a physically and mentally exhausted Collier struggled to keep up.

“I would be overthinking things and then I couldn’t remember plays,” Collier says. “And I had never had problems remembering plays before. But I could not for the life of me remember plays for the first three months. And I couldn’t understand why. I was like, what is wrong with me?”

She earned a starting job and then lost it, all while dealing with a crisis of confidence as she struggled through practices in which she’d forget plays, miss layups and leave feeling lost"

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Wow I had never seen her “One of the 144“ article that shows up right underneath the new one. It’s even better!

Agreed. Did you see Her Through the Lens interview? That's great too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom