Pheesa’s Milestone | The Boneyard

Pheesa’s Milestone

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
During the SC game on Thursday, Pheesa became only the 3rd Husky ever to have 150 steals & 150 blocks for her career, with almost 1 1/2 years to go. You may have heard of the other two, Maya & Stewie.

When you consider how much Geno gets on Pheesa about her defense, you have to wonder what she has to do to be considered a good defensive player by her HC.

Reaction Score
Thanks for letting us know! Pheesa’s my fave, and it’s easy to get overlooked when you play on the same team as Gabby, Lou and Crystal. While she has struggled a bit this year, she gets it done quietly and efficiently. Here’s to another 1.5 years of greatness!

Reaction Score
During the SC game on Thursday, Pheesa became only the 3rd Husky ever to have 150 steals & 150 blocks for her career, with almost 1 1/2 years to go. You may have heard of the other two, Maya & Stewie.

When you consider how much Geno gets on Pheesa about her defense, you have to wonder what she has to do to be considered a good defensive player by her HC.

score ten more points per game then she gives up sounds about right.............

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Presumably Maya is one of the first two, who's the other? Stewie?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One other comment about Pheesa as a shot blocker. At 6’1” she has the best shot blocking fundamentals I’ve ever seen. I just hope Z watches her and learns.

Pheesa focuses on the ball, never goes for a shot fake and has the amazing ability to block shots with either hand, which means she never has to reach across her body to block a shot, which reduces the possibility of fouling.

Pheesa’s timing is remarkable. She waits until the shooter commits and a split second later she elevates with her arms upright and slightly angled toward the shooter. She doesn’t swing down toward the shooter, again limiting the possibility of fouling.

Pheesa’s blocks don’t end up in the stands. Much like legendary Celtic Bill Russell, her blocks tend to be more like tipped passes which Pheesa or one of her teammates often recover and head the other way on a break.

It’s a beautiful thing.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Keep the player she is guarding in front of her and keep her from doing what she wants to do. Blocked shots is not a good measure of good defense. ( Learned from Red Auerbach) A player, especially a tall one, could block eight shots but allow the player she is guarding to by or around her and score or set up a teammate at will. Also, Collier does not give up more points than she scores, not on a regular basis. I watched her in high school and her defensive mechanics were excellent and her team played nothing but man to man, at least 95% of the time.

Reaction Score
I often wonder how only Gabby gets so much praise for filling the stat sheet... (Gabby absolutely deserves it but Pheesa does too.)

Sometimes the means does not stand out as much but the result is just as great. One noticeable area, and I have not looked to compare to last year, is she seems to be an improved passer.

Her scoring ability is similar to Lou in my mind except she does it on different spots on the floor and with different moves (primarily post/paint area but can step outside, where Lou is primarily mid and deep range but can work in the paint.) I think this is why next year when they are seniors we can put them up with just about any pair at Uconn who compliment each other.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Keep the player she is guarding in front of her and keep her from doing what she wants to do. Blocked shots is not a good measure of good defense. ( Learned from Red Auerbach) A player, especially a tall one, could block eight shots but allow the player she is guarding to by or around her and score or set up a teammate at will. Also, Collier does not give up more points than she scores, not on a regular basis. I watched her in high school and her defensive mechanics were excellent and her team played nothing but man to man, at least 95% of the time.

The best shot blockers are great TEAM defenders. Blocked shots as often as not arise from help defense.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Will she push it to 200/200? I wonder where Maya and Stewie finished?

Found it:

Maya - 204 blocks , 310 steals
Stewie - 414 blocks, 232 steals

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Will she push it to 200/200? I wonder where Maya and Stewie finished?

Found it:

Maya - 204 blocks , 310 steals
Stewie - 414 blocks, 232 steals
Well, Pheesa has a chance to surpass Maya in blocks and Stewie in steals.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She doesn’t swing down toward the shooter, again limiting the possibility of fouling.

There's a ref in South Carolina for whom that doesn't seem to matter. One of the only productive things the announcing team did was show it again and declare it a non-foul.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One other comment about Pheesa as a shot blocker. At 6’1” she has the best shot blocking fundamentals I’ve ever seen. I just hope Z watches her and learns.

Pheesa focuses on the ball, never goes for a shot fake and has the amazing ability to block shots with either hand, which means she never has to reach across her body to block a shot, which reduces the possibility of fouling.

Pheesa’s timing is remarkable. She waits until the shooter commits and a split second later she elevates with her arms upright and slightly angled toward the shooter. She doesn’t swing down toward the shooter, again limiting the possibility of fouling.

Pheesa’s blocks don’t end up in the stands. Much like legendary Celtic Bill Russell, her blocks tend to be more like tipped passes which Pheesa or one of her teammates often recover and head the other way on a break.

It’s a beautiful thing.

Shot blocking is an "art". Someone has taught her well. Most players try to block a shot while it's still in the opponent's hands. The correct way is to try and block the shot right after it leaves the shooter's hands. If you miss, you don't foul them. The only thing that should move once your arm is extend toward the shooter is the flexing of your wrist downward, never the entire arm commonly referred to as "tomahawking". :cool:

Shot blocking is all about timing, leaping ability and being in position. Short (vertically challenged) players don't block a lot of shots. Players that don't have a sense of timing (jumping too soon or too late) don't block a lot of shots. Players that are "out of position", don't block a lot of shots. A perfect example is LeBron James' block of a player's shot and pinning it on the backboard. We all saw it. It was all over Sports Center for 2 days.

James did not try to block the shot while it was still in the player's hands, he aimed for the spot the ball would be AFTER it left his hands, and before it hit the backboard. It was perfect timing. LeBron hustled down court and put himself IN POSITION. If the ball hits the backboard, it's goal tending, and the shot counts. Timing, leaping ability and being in position. Every great and prolific shot blocker has these 3 traits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Kiah was the best shot blocker I ever saw. She would have been at the top had she ever had the minutes.
Plus, she had the knack of making the shooter look silly. I mean I broke out laughing after many of her blocks.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Kiah was the best shot blocker I ever saw. She would have been at the top had she ever had the minutes.
Plus, she had the knack of making the shooter look silly. I mean I broke out laughing after many of her blocks.

Truth!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Her scoring ability is similar to Lou in my mind except she does it on different spots on the floor and with different moves (primarily post/paint area but can step outside
And her fade-away 10 footer is a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
Thanks for letting us know! Pheesa’s my fave, and it’s easy to get overlooked when you play on the same team as Gabby, Lou and Crystal. While she has struggled a bit this year, she gets it done quietly and efficiently. Here’s to another 1.5 years of greatness!
Does not get the respect she deserves, particularly on defense. The SC game was perfect example of often giving up 4"+ and 20-30 lbs and winning many of the down low battles. With all the foot, shin, ankle injuries of the other starters, her overseas summer ankle sprain got little publicity but appeared to hinder her first 10-15 games. Fortunately, she appears to be 100% now and playing great at both ends.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I haven't seen this mentioned, but I don't read every post in every thread.

I think in about the third quarter in the SC game, Napheesa made a short pass to Lou for a three in the left corner. And she picked off TWO SC defenders. I rewound that twice during the game, and once during the pregame show today. Dolson was probably the best screener in UConn history, but that may have been the best single screen I've seen.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Presumably Maya is one of the first two, who's the other? Stewie?

When in doubt or not, saying Maya is a safe bet. She was the best all-around player. Stewie isn't a bad second guess either. She has a few records herself.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I often wonder how only Gabby gets so much praise for filling the stat sheet... (Gabby absolutely deserves it but Pheesa does too.)
Phee has done an excellent job of assisting Gabby to garner so many assists. ;)
Code:
        Phee         Gabby
FG%     56%   3rd    58%   2nd
Rebs    171   2nd    172   1st
Asst    68    3rd    109   1st
Blks    45    1st    12    3rd
Stls    39    2nd    56    1st
Pts     341   2nd    234   5th

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Phee has done an excellent job of assisting Gabby to garner so many assists. ;)
Code:
        Phee         Gabby
FG%     56%   3rd    58%   2nd
Rebs    171   2nd    172   1st
Asst    68    3rd    109   1st
Blks    45    1st    12    3rd
Stls    39    2nd    56    1st
Pts     341   2nd    234   5th
Pheesa scores more because she is a better offensive player.

I know you were saying it in jest but Gabby also gave the other team the ball 59 times compared to 35 Pheesa plus Pheesa has 45 blocks to Gabbys 12. Again not saying Gabby is not great, but Pheesa deserves similar praise for contributing in multiple ways.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom