Phee In Focus | The Boneyard

Phee In Focus

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't believe this one has been seen here.

Double motivation for UConn's Collier

“I don’t go in thinking of my stats,” Collier said. “I go in thinking that I’m going to be aggressive and going after the ball. Today I happened to be in the right spots and the ball came to me. I’m going to continue to be aggressive and see what happens.”

Then there is a neat quote from S. White, so I'll post that too:

Vanderbilt coach Stephanie White on facing the Huskies: “There’s a commitment to playing together. There’s a commitment to the details. There’s a commitment to knowing and understanding your role that UConn has been doing for decades. You can watch it from afar but there’s nothing like experiencing it on the floor.”

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Every coach in every sport makes an effort to pay attention to details. Every coach knows that in order to win games that the players must put the team first.

Many are successful with those two objectives. The majority are not.

Geno credits the kids he recruits and to a certain extent CD.

I am not so sure. I watched Geno with the Olympic women, a team with some obvious ball-hogs play together.

He has a rare gift of communication. I can't imagine the challenge facing his replacement.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Both Geno and Dawn have said that the big egos get parked when USA goes on the chest. These great players play for each other and the USA. Of course, not playing that way and not winning Gold, will put you in a very unspecial category; another strong incentive to team play.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
You kind of missed my point. It was more a statement about Geno than USA. The USA got crushed in the Ryder Cup golf match despite having 5 of the top ten ranked players on the team.

Geno and CD could take a group of "Tennessee"-type players and get them to play the style he wants. Coach K has the same skill.

Reaction Score
It also helps to have `3 number 1's in the starting five and a number 4 coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
It also helps to have `3 number 1's in the starting five and a number 4 coming off the bench.
And the #1 PG in her class running things, and of course Collier is no slouch.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
You guys are making my point about Geno. Do you know how tough it is to get five "alpha dogs" who are used to being the primary option on their team's offense, to now willingly share the ball?

I coached for thirty years. It is possible but really difficult for kids to accept their roles. Especially when you have parents that are questioning why their kids aren't getting more shots. It happens in college too. It is why the transfer rate is so high. The team isn't meeting the player's needs instead of the other way around.

I live in Ohio. The OSU men had a kid quit the team a week before the season started because he didn't like the position he was playing. He would have gotten about 20-25 minutes a game.

Stephanie White's amazement is probably shared throughout the coaching fraternity.

Reaction Score
I don't believe this one has been seen here.

Double motivation for UConn's Collier

“I don’t go in thinking of my stats,” Collier said. “I go in thinking that I’m going to be aggressive and going after the ball. Today I happened to be in the right spots and the ball came to me. I’m going to continue to be aggressive and see what happens.”

Then there is a neat quote from S. White, so I'll post that too:

Vanderbilt coach Stephanie White on facing the Huskies: “There’s a commitment to playing together. There’s a commitment to the details. There’s a commitment to knowing and understanding your role that UConn has been doing for decades. You can watch it from afar but there’s nothing like experiencing it on the floor.”
Honesty from an opponent is great for the ego. Napheesa Collier has taken on the sword passed to her from Stewie, Gabby, Kia and she holds it high and proudly. If Uconn does not win a game this year don't look at Phee because her blood will remain on the floor.

Reaction Score
Are we sure Pheesa isn’t the most complete player in the country? She looked a lot like Gabby with how she was pushing the ball last game after she grabbed the rebound. Could have very easily had 5-6 assists if we knocked down open shots off her passes in the first half.

She’s not the athlete Gabby was but she’s a better scorer, finisher, shooter, rebounder & shot blocker. If she continues to develop her run & gun game off rebounds we maybe looking at the most complete player in America.

Only reason I bring up Gabby was the BY was so enamoured with her as a complete player the last two seasons, it might be time to start looking at Collier in the same light & then some!

Reaction Score
Pheesa is close to the perfect player. She's already the perfect teammate. No matter how much we appreciate her, I fear that we still are undervaluing her contributions and impact.
You're so correct. In a thread that says 'Phee in Focus' half the conversation is about something else.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Pheesa is close to the perfect player. She's already the perfect teammate. No matter how much we appreciate her, I fear that we still are undervaluing her contributions and impact.
A few years ago I thought that Morgan Tuck was probably the "prototype" for a power forward in the college game. More recently, I've wondered if maybe Pheesa is the prototype. What can't she do?

Reaction Score
Napheesa is my favorite player on the current team. I remember her stopping the Syracuse 16 point run in the 2016 championship game, taking a pass from Morgan for a layup. She then drove to the basket for another layup as time expired in the third quarter. End of Syracuse run.

Of course, Kia also helped stop any further Syracuse hopes of a comeback by dislocating Alexis Peterson's shoulder. I love Kia; she always left the opposing player's blood on the court, and sometimes their teeth.

Reaction Score
A few years ago I thought that Morgan Tuck was probably the "prototype" for a power forward in the college game. More recently, I've wondered if maybe Pheesa is the prototype. What can't she do?
I think this has been part of the issue. Morgan was great for us but was always the third option at best. That’s the person Pheesa has always drawn as a comparison. It’s an unfair comparison. One is a serious NPOY candidate & has been since her sophomore season. She is a top 10 player to ever come through this program & you never know...one magical senior season could vault her into top 5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom