PG rest of season | The Boneyard

PG rest of season

Reaction Score
So now what I mean you can sit around and wait for Nika but there’s really no guarantee that she’ll be back and affective as that foot injury can nag all season. And she needs to get back into game shape since she’s not in game shape. There’s no guarantee Paige will be back either and it’s unfair to put it on Azzi to save this team. Assuming she can stay healthy. She’ll have her share of growing pains.

For this reason I hope there’s a long-term focus on developing Westbrook to be the best point guard she could be. I’m not optimistic that this is natural for Westbrook even if she played that role her first year at Tennessee. But the focus on developing her attitudinally to accept the role is critical to the team’s success. Playing point may mean attitudinal changes. I can’t believe thats an easy thing even if you are a competitive high performing D1 basketball player. It will come with lots of mistakes and more losses but if the goal is Final Four you can’t wait for reinforcements instead they have to work with what they have. Senior leadership from Westbrook and Williams will be important in helping the young players gain confidence, get better and be aggressive and be involved. They won’t go far without them. And maybe even shield them from Coach.

And just like John Blutarsky said, “When the going gets tough…,”. This really could be the best year of their lives.

Make it a good weekend everybody.

Reaction Score
Evina was first on my list, she has earned the title of "Momma E" for a reason. She has the ability and support of the surrounding cast. With youth and injuries she to me is the best option. If Paige or Nika come back they could be worked into the mix and take over. For now a floor leader is needed post haste. Diversity will also be recognized for her playing at the next level.

Reaction Score
So now what I mean you can sit around and wait for Nika but there’s really no guarantee that she’ll be back and affective as that foot injury can nag all season. And she needs to get back into game shape since she’s not in game shape. There’s no guarantee Paige will be back either and it’s unfair to put it on Azzi to save this team. Assuming she can stay healthy. She’ll have her share of growing pains.

For this reason I hope there’s a long-term focus on developing Westbrook to be the best point guard she could be. I’m not optimistic that this is natural for Westbrook even if she played that role her first year at Tennessee. But the focus on developing her attitudinally to accept the role is critical to the team’s success. Playing point may mean attitudinal changes. I can’t believe thats an easy thing even if you are a competitive high performing D1 basketball player. It will come with lots of mistakes and more losses but if the goal is Final Four you can’t wait for reinforcements instead they have to work with what they have. Senior leadership from Westbrook and Williams will be important in helping the young players gain confidence, get better and be aggressive and be involved. They won’t go far without them. And maybe even shield them from Coach.

And just like John Blutarsky said, “When the going gets tough…,”. This really could be the best year of their lives.

That would be Senator John Blutarsky. Maybe we should take the naysayers on the BY and smash their guitar. “Sorry”

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Evina was first on my list, she has earned the title of "Momma E" for a reason. She has the ability and support of the surrounding cast. With youth and injuries she to me is the best option. If Paige or Nika come back they could be worked into the mix and take over. For now a floor leader is needed post haste. Diversity will also be recognized for her playing at the next level.
At Tennessee she was used to having the ball in her hands, running the team. However, it won't really matter who the point guard is if Geno does not adjust his offense. This team is not good at reading and reacting. At least it does not seem like it. Geno is used to making players fit his offense. Most other good coaches use an offense that fits the talents of their players. That is one reason you see even teams that are not highly ranked running their offense smoothly.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
‘Long term’ focus on developing Westbrook?
Fifth year senior.
Well into her last season.
At this point, she is what she is.
A very good player, but not one that can carry a team.
Agree completely. It is what it is, there is no fixing the PG issue, outside shooting, or any guard depth at all with the current available players. Until Nika or Paige returns we do not have a natural point guard. Until Azzi or Paige returns we will be hurting badly for outside shooting. Until one of those three return we will have no backup guards.

We can try further player development, expand a few roles, get the freshmen more playing time etc., but there is no championship run with the available players now. Those prospects and hopes are completely dependent on most of those injured players returning and playing well before the tournament.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is not the first time that UConn’s offense sputtered after losing its PG. During the 2017-18 season, Crystal was out with shin splints for a number of games. UConn struggled offensively during her absence with Kia filling in at PG. Fortunately, those games were against AAC rivals, and while the play was a bit ugly, UConn didn’t suffer any upsets.

For UConn or any team that loses its PG, it’s similar to a football team losing their starting QB. You might have a perfectly good backup but it’s the hardest role for a player to step into and be effective. Kia was the PG on the Canadian national team, but she struggled trying to run UConn’s motion offense in 2018, and she was playing with three 1st team AA’s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's deja vu all over again...
I’m just trying to start a positive forward looking solution based discussion instead of a negative finger pointing one. Thanks for commenting.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I think teammates were maybe looking to Paige's ability too much and Evina's wisdom not enough. I'm hoping they'll look to E more now. Don't forget she was around when the wheels fell off at Tennessee. She knows what it looks like, and I'm hopeful she can keep a steady hand on the tiller while Geno, CD, et al. right the ship. (sorry for the mixed metaphors.)

Reaction Score
I think teammates were maybe looking to Paige's ability too much and Evina's wisdom not enough. I'm hoping they'll look to E more now. Don't forget she was around when the wheels fell off at Tennessee. She knows what it looks like, and I'm hopeful she can keep a steady hand on the tiller while Geno, CD, et al. right the ship. (sorry for the mixed metaphors.)
Three guards actually. Paige, Azzi and Nika.

And they are missing Aubrey Griffin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom