PG Play | The Boneyard

PG Play

Reaction Score
I know the game isn't technically over, but considering the scrutiny that Coles and Gaff have been under by the board (me included at times), I have to say I think this may be their best combined performance of the year. They have been under control and hitting open shots. They should have a few more assists and their defense has been pretty darn good.

If they play this way in any game in the future, UConn will be pretty tough to beat.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They both played well. Neither were bad at all before this. They just weren’t Kemba, Shabazz or even Jalen Adams. We need to calm down. Gaffney needs some confidence that he can assert himself. He is slowly getting there.

Reaction Score
I know the game isn't technically over, but considering the scrutiny that Coles and Gaff have been under by the board (me included at times), I have to say I think this may be their best combined performance of the year. They have been under control and hitting open shots. They should have a few more assists and their defense has been pretty darn good.

If they play this way in any game in the future, UConn will be pretty tough to beat.
It was, both played really well. Moved the ball great made some great bullet passes for layups/should be dunks that were missed, hit their shots.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Even after nailing his second 3, Gaff just looked so timid and unsure of himself. The dude has game and has shown a lot of flashes. Plus he can hit his free throws. Him and RJ were solid tonight and passed it well.

Reaction Score
No Bouk is going about as well as we could hope. These two are critical and as we've discussed, they've been our biggest weakness. Past few games have been good for both.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

whoomp. there it is.

Reaction Score
Gaff and Cole had really good games... I hope it isn’t a 1 time deal.

Reaction Score
The guards had more floor space tonight to run the offense. Player spacing was well executed which led to great ball movement and a lot of open looks, especially in the first half.
There was basically no weave tonight.
I wish it would stay this way going forward but I would expect to see the weave back against Villanova to try and slow the game down and limit them possessions.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Yeah Adams is giving us next to nothing but the occasional drive to the basket. He can't shoot at all.
Through this whole game, every time Adams touched the ball, i yelled "just don't try to do ANYTHING". It largely seemed to work.

Reaction Score
We need to play our game on offense and not slow the game so much. We have to win with D and then hope we are shooting fairly well. I don’t like telling the players to hold back on offense to burn clock and limit possessions. It sends a message that they suck on offense and it isn’t fun for them either. These guys get going and enjoy themselves out there and they loosen up and shoot better. You can’t do that slowing the game down and making it a rock fight.

Reaction Score
We need to play our game on offense and not slow the game so much. We have to win with D and then hope we are shooting fairly well. I don’t like telling the players to hold back on offense to burn clock and limit possessions. It sends a message that they suck on offense and it isn’t fun for them either. These guys get going and enjoy themselves out there. You can’t do that slowing the game down and making it a rock fight.
Agreed, Nova will out execute us in the half court. They are an excellent team and probably the smartest team along with the Zags. They don't tend to run you out of the building though and we like a ragged freewheeling pace. Whoops not looking ahead, we need to give St. John's payback for the game that got away.

If you could combine Cole and Gaff you would probably have a very good point guard. Cole only seems to get into trouble when he goes into a little Howard mode and tries to do too much but he is a scorer who has a lot of confidence in his abilities. Gaffney almost never tries to do too much and needs to be more confident in his abilities. Adams always gets into trouble when he tries to do too much.

Reaction Score
Cole for me is a much better passer than Gaff, at least much craftier. Not sure what some of you guys have seen.
Both are great passers but I think Gaff gives way better passes to the paint, could be because he’s taller

Reaction Score
Neither can drive w/o losing the ball in the paint....how many TOs did each have this evening? Cole 3; Gaff 1. Plus Cole had 2 offensive fouls while attempting to drive into the paint; during one, he was completely out of control.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The guards had more floor space tonight to run the offense. Player spacing was well executed which led to great ball movement and a lot of open looks, especially in the first half.
There was basically no weave tonight.
I wish it would stay this way going forward but I would expect to see the weave back against Villanova to try and slow the game down and limit them possessions.
This. We played a lot more tonight with only one of Whaley/Adama/Josh than we had recently (since Bouk got hurt). With the two bigs that weave you mentioned comes out and it eats the shot clock and forces bad shot selections a lot of times.

Hurley’s half court offense has always been most successful with 4 guards/wings and 1 big, due to the spacing it presents especially when the big can be a successful point forward (Whaley). You saw the benefits of that tonight in that 1H run when it was raining 3s and things were clicking.

Being down two wings and a stretch big has really hampered this ideal Hurley offense but you can see it is successful when the right personnel is on the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom