Petition Update...2nd step | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Petition Update...2nd step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Signed for my favorite team in over 32 years of watching UCONN Men's Basketball.

Reaction Score
I don't know if you've gone to other boards, but if you haven't, go to the woman's board and the football board. There are plenty of people on those who don't follow this one and you could pick up another hundred people maybe. Ask the mods of those boards to pin it for a while as it's unlikely it will get bumped like this one has.
Awesome. Didn't even think of that. I'll do it now!

Reaction Score
wanna get to 500 by tomorrow and hopefully someone with more power can get it to the NCAA or ESPN to make it a publicly known thing

Reaction Score
It's nice that you took the time to make the petition, but it would have been even nicer if it was proof read. Unfortunately, even if the message is on point, the poor grammar and misuse of words will affect how seriously the NCAA will take a petition like this. If you can still edit it let us know, I'm sure we can fix it up to be a bit more presentable.

Signed nonetheless.

Reaction Score
It's nice that you took the time to make the petition, but it would have been even nicer if it was proof read. Unfortunately, even if the message is on point, the poor grammar and misuse of words will affect how seriously the NCAA will take a petition like this. If you can still edit it let us know, I'm sure we can fix it up to be a bit more presentable.

Signed nonetheless.

I can still edit it at any time. Point out what needs to change and I'll fix it ASAP. My mom was an english teacher too. She'd shoot me for this lol

Reaction Score
I can still edit it at any time. Point out what needs to change and I'll fix it ASAP. My mom was an english teacher too. She'd shoot me for this lol

Living in today’s world where all we see is violence, hatred and negativity every time we either turn on the news, sign on to the Internet or pick up a magazine, we look to find escapes from reality in our own ways. For many, that escape is watching sports. It's reason to be excited, have something to be passionate about and believe in that lets you forget everything around you for a few hours a few times a week. A much needed escape so that our world isn’t constantly filled with negatives.
We’ve come to believe in, have passion for and bleed the colors of our local professional and collegiate teams. Being from CT, we don't have any professional sports teams, instead having to root for teams in Boston or New York. We are a proud, small state that lives and dies with UConn basketball. It is all we have and believe in. Taking away the opportunities for current student athletes (at UConn or any other college) to succeed because past student athletes have made mistakes is unfair to those being punished. If a majority of a team had a part in the issue, then it is understandable, but when nobody has taken part in it, the punishment is unacceptable. If the president of the NCAA was relieved of his duties due to something the prior president had done, how would that be fair? There are other repercussions a school can face without punishing a group of kids who had no impact on what they are being punished for. Not only are you punishing the school and students who have chosen to go be a part of that team and culture, but you are punishing the millions of fans who wait every year for the season to start and to have that reason to again believe in their school, their team and their state.
I start this petition in hopes that future students won't be punished for others wrongdoings. Sports have become an out for many students who have had troubled upbringings and could have taken the wrong path in life. Athletics became their escape and their road to success. Banning them is giving them an early exit from the road to success by telling them they can't do something for someone else's mistakes. It’s sad that these days some offenses are given a slap on the wrist, while others such as UConn’s are punished unfairly. Last year Xavier and Cincinnatti had an all out brawl where players fought each other and even with coaches. Those players were suspended for a few games and allowed back. Illegal recruiting has unfortunately become a constant in college sports but it continues to be overlooked. Most recently, a UCLA basketball player was listed as “ineligible”, however a few days later, the ban was overturned and he was told to pay a small amount of money and he could play again. It’s sad that money can buy your way into anything, but hard working student athletes who have done nothing wrong are left sitting out. If $1,600 is what it takes to overturn a ban, I’ll pay it myself, or Husky Nation will band together and pay a small amount to see the current players get the tournament and careers that they came to UConn for. Let UConn and other schools being banned for past APR mistakes back into the tournament and find another punishment for the school's academic issues.
Sincerely,
Jon Eudowe and the fans of collegiate sports all over the country! GO UCONN!

***I'm not an English teacher either. I wanted to keep 99% of you message but just clean it up a bit so it was more understandable. I'm sure other people with stronger English skills than me could take a look at my version and find a long list of mistakes, but I think it's at least a start***

Reaction Score
Living in today’s world where all we see is violence, hatred and negativity every time we either turn on the news, sign on to the Internet or pick up a magazine, we look to find escapes from reality in our own ways. For many, that escape is watching sports. It's reason to be excited, have something to be passionate about and believe in that lets you forget everything around you for a few hours a few times a week. A much needed escape so that our world isn’t constantly filled with negatives.
We’ve come to believe in, have passion for and bleed the colors of our local professional and collegiate teams. Being from CT, we don't have any professional sports teams, instead having to root for teams in Boston or New York. We are a proud, small state that lives and dies with UConn basketball. It is all we have and believe in. Taking away the opportunities for current student athletes (at UConn or any other college) to succeed because past student athletes have made mistakes is unfair to those being punished. If a majority of a team had a part in the issue, then it is understandable, but when nobody has taken part in it, the punishment is unacceptable. If the president of the NCAA was relieved of his duties due to something the prior president had done, how would that be fair? There are other repercussions a school can face without punishing a group of kids who had no impact on what they are being punished for. Not only are you punishing the school and students who have chosen to go be a part of that team and culture, but you are punishing the millions of fans who wait every year for the season to start and to have that reason to again believe in their school, their team and their state.
I start this petition in hopes that future students won't be punished for others wrongdoings. Sports have become an out for many students who have had troubled upbringings and could have taken the wrong path in life. Athletics became their escape and their road to success. Banning them is giving them an early exit from the road to success by telling them they can't do something for someone else's mistakes. It’s sad that these days some offenses are given a slap on the wrist, while others such as UConn’s are punished unfairly. Last year Xavier and Cincinnatti had an all out brawl where players fought each other and even with coaches. Those players were suspended for a few games and allowed back. Illegal recruiting has unfortunately become a constant in college sports but it continues to be overlooked. Most recently, a UCLA basketball player was listed as “ineligible”, however a few days later, the ban was overturned and he was told to pay a small amount of money and he could play again. It’s sad that money can buy your way into anything, but hard working student athletes who have done nothing wrong are left sitting out. If $1,600 is what it takes to overturn a ban, I’ll pay it myself, or Husky Nation will band together and pay a small amount to see the current players get the tournament and careers that they came to UConn for. Let UConn and other schools being banned for past APR mistakes back into the tournament and find another punishment for the school's academic issues.
Sincerely,

***I'm not an English teacher either. I wanted to keep 99% of you message but just clean it up a bit so it was more understandable. I'm sure other people with stronger English skills than me could take a look at my version and find a long list of mistakes, but I think it's at least a start***

OK, I reposted it. Hopefully it looks better. Now, lets get the NCAA to let us play!

Reaction Score
Sincerely,

I don't have time to reread, but nice work taking the time to review, and improve.

Reaction Score
OK, I reposted it. Hopefully it looks better. Now, lets get the NCAA to let us play!

D'oh. I found another mistake. The 3rd sentence should read: It's A reason to be excited

Reaction Score
Fixed! Now let's get this next 120 signatures and see what happens next.

I think we can get a lot of signatures if we can find somebody on the boneyard who is a student who is willing to send out a school wide email to all the students notifying them about this petition. Thats 15000 kids right there. Even if only 10% sign that an extra 1500 signatures.

Reaction Score
I think we can get a lot of signatures if we can find somebody on the boneyard who is a student who is willing to send out a school wide email to all the students notifying them about this petition. Thats 15000 kids right there. Even if only 10% sign that an extra 1500 signatures.
Yea, that would be ideal. I tried posting it on UConns facebook page, but it gets nothing on there. I'm trying to find someone at ESPN who will help with it. Know a few people over there, but don't think they can do much. Need to get thru to the NCAA and see if they would take it seriously, then give us a number of signatures required to pass it. Don't know how that's going to happen tho.

Reaction Score
You should start out with a simple statement of purpose and the reason for the petition. Drop the social commentary as most people have the attention span of a gnat nowadays. Make it more professional but keep the references to the injustice to the athletes and the unfairness of retroactively changing the punishment for unintended and somewhat uncontrollable performance issues. These were not attempts to cheat and involved no cover-up, yet they are retroactively treated as major offenses having serious competitive and economic consequences to the university and other innocent parties.

That's my .02

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Signed it last night, but posting about it now (because there is no way in hell I want you degenerates knowing my real name ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom