Pet Peeve: "Dribble Drive" | The Boneyard

Pet Peeve: "Dribble Drive"

Reaction Score
One of the most overused and non-sensical terms by announcers. Is there any other way to drive then by dribbling???

If you don't have the ball and you drive, that's called cutting. If you do have the ball and you drive without dribbling, that's called traveling.

A "dribble drive" is just a drive. Makes me crazy to hear them constantly say dribble drive. Am I alone in this???

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
One of the most overused and non-sensical terms by announcers. Is there any other way to drive then by dribbling???

If you don't have the ball and you drive, that's called cutting. If you do have the ball and you drive without dribbling, that's called traveling.

A "dribble drive" is just a drive. Makes me crazy to hear them constantly say dribble drive. Am I alone in this???
Have you seen the NBA lately? Most drives involve little to no dribbling. I love the Westbrook travel. Bing video

What hawk said....

In the nba it is very much necessary to add that the player is dribbling. Especially if it’s a star player

the Q

Reaction Score
I actually think the NBA is unwatchable. I was referring to use in the college context.

College isn’t much better anymore. Hasn’t in a long time.

It’s been letting NBA garbage fly without even the minor rule changes the nba hasn’t made.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That video was great, but do you really use Bing as your search engine???

I went back and forth, but for the last six months, yes. Has been more effective, faster and better results than Google. Google is steering too many results to what they want you to see. Google is still generally better for images and video.

Reaction Score

Maybe it has become more popular to say because of the "Dribble-Drive Motion" that Cal and Wahlberg use? They use the term because it makes it a clear brand rather than "Drive Motion" which just sounds like a regular motion offense with a focus on driving.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Dribble-Drive Offense refers to a hybrid 4 out 1 in set where the ball handler drives to the hoop to force help.

Creates open shots, mismatches, and easy dump-offs near the basket.

Reaction Score
Announcers have been saying "dribble-drive" long before the DDO got some time in the spotlight. It is one of my pet peeves as well; especially with Doris Burke, probably because it's the only flaw in her announcing.

the Q

Reaction Score
Announcers have been saying "dribble-drive" long before the DDO got some time in the spotlight. It is one of my pet peeves as well; especially with Doris Burke, probably because it's the only flaw in her announcing.

Other than the fact that she is super repetitive.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I've mentioned it before, but "score the basketball" drives me nuts. There is no context in which it makes any kind of sense.

Don't hear this one quite as much since Fudgy left, but, "He almost got away with a travel there," used to make me throw things at the screen. Just taking apart the words, it should mean that a player traveled when the referee was looking the other way, but then at the last instant,the ref caught it out of the corner of his eye and blew the whistle. What he usually meant, was the guy traveled and didn't get called for it, even thought he ref was looking at him.

Reaction Score
She is definitely the worst offender. But still haven't heard a logical argument as to why the word dribble needs to be thrown in there.

Reaction Score
She is definitely the worst offender. But still haven't heard a logical argument as to why the word dribble needs to be thrown in there.

You can thank the late great Chick Hearn.

chickhearnred.jpg

Chick Hearn
Chickisms
Chick Hearn coined numerous basketball phrases (what he referred to as his “word’s-eye view” of basketball) that are now common-place in today’s basketball language.

• Slam dunk
  • Air ball
  • Dribble-drive
  • No-look pass
  • Give and go
  • Ticky-tack foul
  • Throws up a “brick”
  • Picked his pocket
  • Frozen rope
  • Popcorn Machine
  • Pressure Cooker
  • Finger-roll
  • Yo-yoing up and down
  • "The game's in the refrigerator, the door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard and the jello's jiggling."​
"In & out, Heart-brrrreak!"​
"Building a House"​
"Bunny hop in the pea patch"​
"Can't throw a pea in the ocean"​
"Caught with his hand in the cookie jar"​
"The mustard's off the hot-dog"​
"No harm, no foul (, no blood, no ambulance)"​
"Slaaaaaam Dunk!!!"​
"They couldn't beat the Sisters of Mercy"​

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I think the great Hubie Brown uses the "score the ball" expression quite a bit. Aside from that, his commentary is a great teaching tool.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It's just announcers needing to fill air space with words.

I guess technically, you can drive without dribbling. If you catch the ball on the run and take 2 hard steps and lay it in ... but I'm not arguing your point that it makes no sense. I just think sports is littered with nonsensical announcer fluff talk.

If they say one important thing in the 4 hour pregame festivities of sporting events, that's a lot.

Mostly it's "score the ball" and "winning in the National Football League" taking over for real analysis and breakdown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom