Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling): | The Boneyard

Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

>>Pervasive optimism that the college football season would start and finish on time has given way to nervousness as programs continue to see players with COVID-19 infections during voluntary workouts and multiple states have either slowed down or reversed some aspects of their reopening plans due to spiking case numbers. The idea of delaying college football to the spring, which was dismissed as a last resort a few months ago, is being revived in some corners as a legitimate option to buy time and give programs more tools to manage a situation that many administrators privately admit is unwieldy and uncertain. Meanwhile, some FBS conferences are actively engaged with banks on opening up lines of credit to guard against lost revenue, a key acknowledgment that schools fear a potential revenue wipeout this fall.<<

>>Contrary to popular belief among COVID-19 deniers, this isn’t about the death rate. Everyone recognizes that young, healthy athletes are highly unlikely to die if they contract the virus. But even if you can temporarily put aside the ever-present concern that a small number could have bad outcomes or the unknown long-term effects, the contagiousness of the virus and the issue of asymptomatic spread presents a practical problem of how you can coach, prepare and play without needing to isolate significant portions of your team.<<

Reaction Score
I am of the opinion that there will be no college athletics until at least January. Unlike Europe the US wasted time and failed to follow proper protocols in so many places that this virus is close to being out of control. Unlike places that took it seriously many parts of the country did not. It is already having an impact. USF has told its season ticket holders not to plan on traveling to Austin for the Texas game for example. Connecticut, and whatever you think of Lamont you need to give him high marks for this, is in solid shape But Houston, LA, Florida, Arizona and any number of others are not and quite honestly might well not be for some time Since they seem unwilling to take the steps that succeeded in New York, Connecticut, the EU.

Reaction Score
Maybe no sports for a while...do you play if students are off campus taking on line courses? Making athletes play while students are at home?

Can you play with athletes demonstrating against playing?

I think, even if played, this year's sports will be different from the usual.....shortened schedules, maybe altered seasons like football in the winter-spring.

Reaction Score
I will be surprised if games are played without a viable vaccine.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If college football could decide to not be a blatant cash grab for one season, they could probably make it work. They need to cut the number of opponents and the travel dramatically. Waive conference alignment for a season and play a home and home regional schedule against 4-5 other teams. They could get an 8 or 10 game schedule in. Players could play, fans could watch on TV, and it would at least be some football.

Instead, they are trying to milk their TV contracts and play opponents from all over the country, and it has an almost 100% certainty of failure.

Reaction Score
If college football could decide to not be a blatant cash grab for one season, they could probably make it work. They need to cut the number of opponents and the travel dramatically. Waive conference alignment for a season and play a home and home regional schedule against 4-5 other teams. They could get an 8 or 10 game schedule in. Players could play, fans could watch on TV, and it would at least be some football.

Instead, they are trying to milk their TV contracts and play opponents from all over the country, and it has an almost 100% certainty of failure.

It looks like everything is on the table.

Reaction Score
I just drove by Foran High School in Milford and noticed a well attended organized baseball game is being played. Looked like high school age kids (I assume Legion Ball?). I'm pretty sure these kids are amateurs who don't have union representation.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Hence I did not renew season tix back in Feb. Baseball in a few weeks for 60 games? Yawn. CFB is done. You will not see UMass at the Rent Labor Day wknd. Dominoes will fall, sports are done until spring... Forget your Big East love fest Hoop Only folks. See ya in 2022.

Reaction Score
I just drove by Foran High School in Milford and noticed a well attended organized baseball game is being played. Looked like high school age kids (I assume Legion Ball?). I'm pretty sure these kids are amateurs who don't have union representation.

American Legion Ball was cancelled for this year.

Could be the Zone II U19 independent league they put together.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I don't live far from Wooster School in Danbury and every time I've passed by the last few weekends there have been huge, girls lacrosse tournaments going on. On multiple fields. Not an exaggeration that there had to be 200 kids and about twice as many spectators. Odd part was it was all NY plates on the cars. We're so close to NY in these parts that they invade everything.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
American Legion Ball was cancelled for this year.

Could be the Zone II U19 independent league they put together.

Reaction Score
I will be surprised if games are played without a viable vaccine.
A vaccine is not the only way to end the significant impact of Covid. Learn more about plasma therapy, it's a significant treatment and does not require the same length of trial as a vaccine.

Reaction Score

I agree. Wouldn’t even need to be home-home for us. Just do a 7-8 game schedule. UCONN, Rutgers, BC, Syracuse, Buffalo, UMass, Army, Temple, Navy, Mabye Maryland and Pitt. if you wanted to get to 10. This would work for every single one of these teams. Work it out so each gets 4 home 4 away. or throw in Maine and Villanova if you really really needed an extra game or two.

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if there is a football season at this point. At best, college sports don't return until 2021 (and I'm betting it's likely to be Fall '21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom