Perspective | The Boneyard

Perspective

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Lashlee leaving is not the end of the line for us. RE has a history of great assistant coaches. No reason to think RE won't have this taken care of quickly. Also, when he said the QB spot was in great shape, he knew at the time Lashlee was looking(look at his contract). I am not worried about transfers out.

Bottom falling out is if RE leaves because of this stupid state nepotism issue with Corey. Then we are in deep trouble. Benedict is smart and if something happens with RE, I think he has a back up plan. But the fan base and program might not be able to handle an RE issue.

Reaction Score
Lashlee leaving is not the end of the line for us. RE has a history of great assistant coaches. No reason to think RE won't have this taken care of quickly. Also, when he said the QB spot was in great shape, he knew at the time Lashlee was looking(look at his contract). I am not worried about transfers out.

Bottom falling out is if RE leaves because of this stupid state nepotism issue with Corey. Then we are in deep trouble. Benedict is smart and if something happens with RE, I think he has a back up plan. But the fan base and program might not be able to handle an RE issue.

All I can say is we can’t lose RE just because if he leaves most of the commits will leave also. If it doesn’t get resolved of course Benedict has a back up plan. We could lure coaches in

Reaction Score
I think many are really overreacting with losing Lashlee.

With that said, my main concern is finding someone who will run a similar offensive scheme. It’s a system that can work as we get better personnel. There has to be a young o coordinator available.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My guess is HCRE already has someone in mind and my hope is that DO ends up at UConn as a quarterback coach or on the staff somewhere

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Considering our budget, it won't be somebody with a significant FBS pedigree. Going to be someone like Crocker and much of the staff moving up from FCS. I doubt we can pull the same trick plucking a highly paid protege from a P5 school again.

Reaction Score
I think many are really overreacting with losing Lashlee.

With that said, my main concern is finding someone who will run a similar offensive scheme. It’s a system that can work as we get better personnel. There has to be a young o coordinator available.

In 2009 we were 56th in Total Offense. We then went 95th, 108th, 113th, 114th, 126th, 124th, and 122nd.

Last year we were 49th. I don't think we can overstate how important he was to the program last year and moving forward.

Reaction Score
Considering our budget, it won't be somebody with a significant FBS pedigree. Going to be someone like Crocker and much of the staff moving up from FCS. I doubt we can pull the same trick plucking a highly paid protege from a P5 school again.

Never say never

Reaction Score
In 2009 we were 56th in Total Offense. We then went 95th, 108th, 113th, 114th, 126th, 124th, and 122nd.

Last year we were 49th. I don't think we can overstate how important he was to the program last year and moving forward.
Hopefully we learned from him. Offensive genius.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Last year was the first in a long time...even the strong RE years...Where I rarely disagreed with the play calling. I thought Lashlee did an amazing job and he will be very hard to replace.

Reaction Score
Last year was the first in a long time...even the strong RE years...Where I rarely disagreed with the play calling. I thought Lashlee did an amazing job and he will be very hard to replace.
Steady improvement through the Disastro years though. Moved up 2 spots each year. At that rate we would have been into the top 100 in only 12 short years.

Reaction Score
It's a bit unusual for a guy to leave after one season in a lateral move in-conference unless there was some serious discontent behind the scenes. He may have been frustrated by the reigns put on him because of the crappy D. Just a feeling. No proof.

Losing Lashlee and Grimes is a killer. Worse yet, we keep Betty Crocker...as somebody said, we just aren't allowed to have nice things.

Reaction Score
It isn’t a lateral move. Due to the Diaco buyout, we are running on a shoestring budget until we get our act together and start selling tickets again. Rhett probably got a substantial raise and got himself back in an area of the country that puts him around many other opportunities and connections for both recruiting and job opportunities.

That said, I’m sure Edsall and Lashlee aren’t fast friends at this point. Randy is a good program builder and he has very strong ideas on how to do things. Rhett wanted to run the offense and we all know Randy probably couldn’t quite leave him be as time wore on. That’s who Randy is.

Rhett needed a way out of Auburn and AD David Benedict offered it to him. I think it was always a “come for a year and we’ll go from there” type of thing. Dave probably hoped he’d stick around longer just like the rest of us, but it was never a long term thing simply because the pay was way too low.

Reaction Score
It's a bit unusual for a guy to leave after one season in a lateral move in-conference unless there was some serious discontent behind the scene.

No discontent. His wife wanted to leave before they unpacked. It was pretty well known all year that she was prodding him to get back down south.

Reaction Score
Make no mistake, losing Lashlee is NOT a good thing.

We have seen a pattern with Edsall of keeping his OC on a short lease. Remember, he kept Joe Moorhead on a short lease. Once away from Edsall he became, first, a great offensive HC at Fordham and then one of the top OC's in the country at Penn State. We saw Edsall, over the course of the season 2017, begin to sit on Lashlee. It is reasonable to expect that Edsall will move toward a more conservative offense and pick a coordinator that shares his views.

I don't know the inside story on why Lashlee left. But my guess is that Edsall's complaning that Lashlee's offense was bad for his defense made the decision easier.

Reaction Score
Make no mistake, losing Lashlee is NOT a good thing.

We have seen a pattern with Edsall of keeping his OC on a short lease. Remember, he kept Joe Moorhead on a short lease. Once away from Edsall he became, first, a great offensive HC at Fordham and then one of the top OC's in the country at Penn State. We saw Edsall, over the course of the season 2017, begin to sit on Lashlee. It is reasonable to expect that Edsall will move toward a more conservative offense and pick a coordinator that shares his views.

I don't know the inside story on why Lashlee left. But my guess is that Edsall's complaning that Lashlee's offense was bad for his defense made the decision easier.
That's kind of what I'm surmising. I think discontent grew as RE sat on the guy and slowed the offense down. I don t get why you'd move to CT while having one foot out of the door to start. He could have gone a lot of places from Auburn without moving to Storrs for a short stint. He probably wanted more money, his wife didn't CT and the leash became another factor. if he had some great success and believed he could have a major impact, he would have bitten the bullet for a few more bucks with a plan to get out in year 3. The whole thing bums me out.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it much matters as long as it’s an experienced FCS coach. Doesn’t matter what sport, schemes are schemes and plays are plays. The only thing that separates what you see on the field is the level of talent. An FBS coordinator isn’t necessarily better than an FCS one. He just has access to better talent.
The hope here is that the 19 +7 that come in can mesh well with the returning players- help to add some competitive depth in practice and get someone in that understands offensive play calling/situational football/exposing an oppositions weaknesses. Quite frankly this is done by coordinators on every level.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it much matters as long as it’s an experienced FCS coach. Doesn’t matter what sport, schemes are schemes and plays are plays. The only thing that separates what you see on the field is the level of talent. An FBS coordinator isn’t necessarily better than an FCS one. He just has access to better talent.
The hope here is that the 19 +7 that come in can mesh well with the returning players- help to add some competitive depth in practice and get someone in that understands offensive play calling/situational football/exposing an oppositions weaknesses. Quite frankly this is done by coordinators on every level.

For 7 straight years we were ranked 95th or worst in total offense. 6 of the last 7 we were 108th or worse.

Last year we were top 50.

Sure, we "could" find a decent FCS coordinator/coach. But the pool of FBS coaches is much better.

Reaction Score
Sure, we "could" find a decent FCS coordinator/coach. But the pool of FBS coaches is much better.
With so many BCS and 1-AA coaching changes this offseason, perhaps a couple qualified candidates haven't been swept up quite yet. Maybe things will work out for UConn. Forward march!

Reaction Score
For 7 straight years we were ranked 95th or worst in total offense. 6 of the last 7 we were 108th or worse.

Last year we were top 50.

True.
What I was saying is there are coaches across levels that understand football. Lashlee happened to be an FBS one. Just saying there are FCS coaches as well that are football junkies that understand the nuances of football playcalling that might want to step up a level in terms of competition and exposure. Can’t just bury your head in the FBS world looking for a coach

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

True, but realistically a guy who took a $250k pay cut wasn't likely staying for more than a season or two. The fact it turned out to be only one sucks, but it was not unexpected.

Reaction Score
I disagreed often, but mainly because I thought we were too conservative and predictable. Compared to the previous few years, it was day and night. Hope the new guy gets things going as well.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
For those thinking RE is going back to a run first offense. Why do we have 14 or so WR, maybe 4 running backs, no fullbacks and 2 tight ends? Because he has committed to the uptempo spread offense which passes the ball first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom