Perspective | The Boneyard

Perspective

Reaction Score
Hey guys, been a few years since I posted here. I stopped posting a while ago due to so many negative posters on the board. And I think that was 2014, when Shabazz led us to a title. People on here were still not satisfied. Since we are having a real down year I thought I could try and share some positive perspective. I researched some a couple two of the best coaches of all time and their first few seasons and here is what I found compared to Ollie's first few seasons:

Jim Calhoun first 3 seasons at Uconn

1986–87 Connecticut 9–19 3–13 T–8th
1987–88 Connecticut 20–14 4–12 9th NIT Champions
1988–89 Connecticut 18–13 6–10 T–7th NIT Quarterfinals

Mike Krzyzewski first 3 season at Duke
1980–81 Duke 17–13 6–8 T–5th NIT Third Round
1981–82 Duke 10–17 4–10 T–6th
1982–83 Duke 11–17 3–11 7th

John Calipari (The Squid)
1988–89 UMass 10–18 5–13 8th
1989–90 UMass 17–14 10–8 6th NIT First Round
1990–91 UMass 20–13 10–8 T–3rd NIT Semifinals

Kevin Ollie
2013–14 Connecticut 32–8 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Champions
2014–15 Connecticut 20–15 10–8 T–5th NIT First Round
2015–16 Connecticut 25–11 11–7 6th NCAA Second Round

This is all from simple Wikipedia search.
As you can see KO, in his first 3 seasons has performed better than Jim Calhoun, Mike Krzyzewski, and John Calipari during their first appearance on the "big stage" Although the other 3 had better 4th seasons, I think circumstances and recruiting violations made for a tough 4th year for Ollie. I think KO will start to trend upward next year.

There is an obvious learning curve when it comes to coaching, as with anything in life. This is Ollie's first real coaching job, compared to the other 3 mentioned whom had years of experience before they reached the P5 level stage. I think Ollie's potential is through the roof and see him getting much better as years go on.

Hopefully this puts a new perspective in the minds of those who want KO gone or think he is a bad coach because I see a lot of that talk on here these days. Have patience guys. Ollie is going to turn it around. He cares too much not to do so.

Reaction Score
Like it Mike thank you! Difference in JC's first few years at UConn he had soccer and baseball players seeing time early while KO has had good solid players all along. But KO has had other issues to contend with and has been fie. As you said he's a young guy in the coaching ranks learning on the job. I believe we are in very good hands and it will only get better.

Reaction Score
What stands out in your list is UMASS, and Calipari doing that from the conference he was in and how? Talent. Marcus Camby and others. You can't make prime rib out of cube steak. I think that this is about players and if KO can get the right ones he easily can coach them to greatness. Many have not lived up to our expectations whether reasonable or not, I'll leave that to the recruiting experts. There are 300 plus coaches trying to find that right mix.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
How about a real comparison... at this same point in time in Calhoun's career as a head coach he was going 12-14 at Northeastern. Krzyzewski was 9-17 at Army. Ollie also has had no where near the amount of time in the coaching profession as his peers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hey guys, been a few years since I posted here. I stopped posting a while ago due to so many negative posters on the board. And I think that was 2014, when Shabazz led us to a title. People on here were still not satisfied. Since we are having a real down year I thought I could try and share some positive perspective. I researched some a couple two of the best coaches of all time and their first few seasons and here is what I found compared to Ollie's first few seasons:

Kevin Ollie

As you can see KO, in his first 3 seasons has performed better than Jim Calhoun, Mike Krzyzewski, and John Calipari during their first appearance on the "big stage" Although the other 3 had better 4th seasons, I think circumstances and recruiting violations made for a tough 4th year for Ollie. I think KO will start to trend upward next year.

There is an obvious learning curve when it comes to coaching, as with anything in life. This is Ollie's first real coaching job, compared to the other 3 mentioned whom had years of experience before they reached the P5 level stage. I think Ollie's potential is through the roof and see him getting much better as years go on.

Hopefully this puts a new perspective in the minds of those who want KO gone or think he is a bad coach because I see a lot of that talk on here these days. Have patience guys. Ollie is going to turn it around. He cares too much not to do so.

Did those other guys tank in year 4?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't consider myself a KO basher, but it is also not a fair comparison. JC had walk-ons playing big minutes his first season and I'd contend did not have anywhere near the talent KO has had in their first four years. JCs first truly great team, the dream season, was a not a team filled with what would amount to 4 and 5 star talent. Smitty and Burrell were, but the rest of the guys (from my memory) were guys that we'd complain about bringing in today. The whole star thing is obviously an inexact science, but KO starts two 5-star guards, two four star forwards, and Amida. He brings two four star guys off the bench. This misnomer that we do not have talent is just not applicable. The talent has not gelled as a whole.

I know next to nothing about Coach K's first Duke teams, but Calipari won big with marginal talent. His first sweet 16 team had a 6-3 power forward and 6-7 center (Harper Williams from Bridgeport) and he coached them up. The Camby team had a few bigger recruits and the talent came together. I still find it amazing that Calipari, that he is, is able to bring in such incredible talent; new talent, every year and have them be completely unselfish and cohesive in no time. That's a legit coaching skill.

I know the point you are trying to make, and it is very happy-happy joy-joy, but this entire season has been a disaster and KO deserves some of the blame. I don't think that's overly negative. We have been crushed with injuries, but absolutely bending over to SMU and Cinci; struggling to beat DII teams, and looking generally confused the majority of the season deserves some criticism.

Reaction Score
How about a real comparison.... at this same point in time in Calhoun's career as a head coach he was going 12-14 at Northeastern. Krzyzewski was 9-17 at Army. Ollie also has had no where near the amount of time in the coaching profession as his peers.

C'mon. Let's compare apples to apples here. JC at Northeastern and K at Army did not have established programs to coach. KO inherited an established program and one of the best in the country. Plus he had experience under JC as an assistant for a few years. Recruiting at UConn today is a lot easier than at NE or Army. I'm not knocking Ollie, but at least base your post on similar situations.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
C'mon. Let's compare apples to apples here. JC at Northeastern and K at Army did not have established programs to coach. KO inherited an established program and one of the best in the country. Plus he had experience under JC as an assistant for a few years. Recruiting at UConn today is a lot easier than at NE or Army. I'm not knocking Ollie, but at least base your post on similar situations.

You're right... "a real comparison" was to strong a statement to make... but I do think it speaks to my second point though. Ollie has not been coaching all that long. A lot of his peers have a decade head start on him in terms of time on the bench. You can argue that as a point guard he did get a lot of coaching experience... but I don't think it's quite the same thing. I do think though it makes sense to expect Ollie to have some hiccups. In a couple of years, if things are still rocky though that's a different story.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Did those other guys tank in year 4?
Calhoun tanked in year 7 when we went 1-8 down the stretch and finished at 15-13 overall with a team that had 3 first round picks, two other future NBA guys and a host of other 4-star recruits. And that was a down year for the Big East -- the worst year in conference history. Just 3 tourney teams, and none made it to the 2nd weekend.

Year 7 was his low point at UConn (I don't count his first season for obvious reasons) and a sizeable portion of the fanbase wanted him gone. Those people were idiots, as are the people who focus only on the negatives with KO instead of the improved recruiting and promising/productive underclassmen.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
How about a real comparison.... at this same point in time in Calhoun's career as a head coach he was going 12-14 at Northeastern. Krzyzewski was 9-17 at Army. Ollie also has had no where near the amount of time in the coaching profession as his peers.
And just how many national championships did Calhoun and Coach K inherit at Northeastern and Army? Ollie inherited a top 5 program.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Please come up with some coaches who had to overcome sanctions AND going from elite conference to a so/so conference in their first years
You're the one who is looking for comparatives......................................

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
And just how many national championships did Calhoun and Coach K inherit at Northeastern and Army? Ollie inherited a top 5 program.
With no sanctions and still in the Big East being the best conference in the country - right??????????????????????????

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Please come up with some coaches who had to overcome sanctions AND going from elite conference to a so/so conference in their first years
You're the one who is looking for comparatives..........
Boeheim overcame sanctions and moving to weaker conference.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
With no sanctions and still in the Big East being the best conference in the country - right??????????????????????????
Geno Auriemma.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I did.. soften what I was saying somewhat... that being said... It was Army and Northeastern... let's not pretend they were playing Kentucky and Kansas every game.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I wouldn't consider myself a KO basher, but it is also not a fair comparison. JC had walk-ons playing big minutes his first season and I'd contend did not have anywhere near the talent KO has had in their first four years. JCs first truly great team, the dream season, was a not a team filled with what would amount to 4 and 5 star talent. Smitty and Burrell were, but the rest of the guys (from my memory) were guys that we'd complain about bringing in today. The whole star thing is obviously an inexact science, but KO starts two 5-star guards, two four star forwards, and Amida. He brings two four star guys off the bench. This misnomer that we do not have talent is just not applicable. The talent has not gelled as a whole.

I know next to nothing about Coach K's first Duke teams, but Calipari won big with marginal talent. His first sweet 16 team had a 6-3 power forward and 6-7 center (Harper Williams from Bridgeport) and he coached them up. The Camby team had a few bigger recruits and the talent came together. I still find it amazing that Calipari, that he is, is able to bring in such incredible talent; new talent, every year and have them be completely unselfish and cohesive in no time. That's a legit coaching skill.

I know the point you are trying to make, and it is very happy-happy joy-joy, but this entire season has been a disaster and KO deserves some of the blame. I don't think that's overly negative. We have been crushed with injuries, but absolutely bending over to SMU and Cinci; struggling to beat DII teams, and looking generally confused the majority of the season deserves some criticism.

Calipari never has teams of 8 newcomers that don't gel in time, or ever?

"Completely unselfish and cohesive in no time..." Hmmm....

Reaction Score
Calipari never has teams of 8 newcomers that don't gel in time, or ever?

"Completely unselfish and cohesive in no time...." Hmmm.....

As a whole, during his one and done factory run, his teams have played unselfishly. Is that not accurate?

Reaction Score
KO did a fantastic job as head coach his first two seasons. I dont think there is a person on the Boneyard who would dispute that. This season is a mess and that is mostly due to injuries, so you can throw this one out for the most part.

However, this is the third season in a row that has been disappointing. That is what concerns me, and likely many others. We should at least be contending for AAC regular season titles, and be ranked in the top 25 some of the time. Lets hope we return to that level next year with a healthy roster.

Reaction Score
@boog204 I never mentioned that KO doesn't deserve any blame for this year's performance. My point was to put all blame aside and just look at the numbers. I agree with you that KO can do much better and I think he will. Which is why I brought up the point that there seems to be a learning curve. I know this comparison has a lot of flaws and it isn't counting JC''s or K''s first legitimate season's but it definitely gives people something to think about.
Also I'm 27 years old. I wasn't around for JC''s first few seasons at Uconn. So I do not know exactly what he inherented. You are probably right in that JC inherented less talent but we both know KO walked into some difficult circumstances from the beginning as well. All of your points make sense though and I don't disagree.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
KO hasn't always been great through his tenure at UConn, but coaching is all about experience and he is getting almost of his on the job as the face of a nationally regarded program.

A lot of the guys we compare him to had coached for decades before they ended up at the position they experienced the most success at later on in their careers.

I understand that KO inherited a damn near, if not blue blood program, we are paying him like a top 10 coach and the expectations here are through the roof.

That being said, even though we have underachieved and some things haven't developed as we may have liked, he's pulling in talented players and has shown he can win a national championship.

It's not the best defense of his job here, but in reality, the question for the KO detractors is, who do you want to replace him with? Who is going to recruit to UConn in AAC better than KO? Who is going to take the same pride in UConn, like everyone here has, besides KO?

We are lucky to have him.

Reaction Score

Kevin Ollie

Like the optimism, but I'm sorry this is pretty close to apples and oranges. Sure Ollie is still a pretty inexperienced head coach, but he inherited a blue blood program at the peak of their success from a coach who's a living legend. Where was Duke in the early 80s and Uconn in the mid 80s? UMass is an afterthought.

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way as I'm always in Ollie's corner, and feel he's done some great things his first 3 seasons. But I'm not buying the first 3 season comparison putting into perspective where these programs were on a national stage when these coaches started.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom