OT: Pernell Whitaker | The Boneyard

OT: Pernell Whitaker

Reaction Score
Sweet Pea Whitaker was hit by a car and killed today. For those who don't know or remember, he was the best pound for pound fighter in the world from about 1988 to 1993, and IMO is one of the top ten fighters of all time. If he hadn't been robbed by the judges against Chavez and later (to a lesser extent) De la Hoya, he would be one of a handful of fighters who could lay claim to being the best ever.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Saw that today. I lived near Norfolk towards the end of his prime and he was electric. My time in the Navy took me from Norfolk during Sweet Pea's time down to Pensacola for Roy Jones Jr's prime. Both guys were just phenomenal tacticians who would just abuse opponents with their defense and counter punching. And when there was blood in the water they were great finishers.

Reaction Score
Oh my highly underrated fighter. Really enjoyed watching him fight. And yes, robbed on 2 fights. Should have gone down undefeated. Rest in Peace Sweat Pea.

Reaction Score
Modern day Willie Pep. Seems like most of my favorite boxers are dead, I hate it.

Reaction Score
Oh my highly underrated fighter. Really enjoyed watching him fight. And yes, robbed on 2 fights. Should have gone down undefeated. Rest in Peace Sweat Pea.
3 robberies, Ramirez, Chavez, and DLH, he avenged the Ramirez loss. The loss to Tito was his first clear loss, well past his prime, coming off of a layoff and fighting a beast.

Reaction Score
One of my all-time favorites. Truly a Scientist in the ring.

The decision in the fight against Oscar was a sham. I had him winning that fight easily.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just read this sad news on the Twitter. I was a big fan of him and Moochie back then.

Reaction Score
Not sure those highlights were a good representation of the fight. Whitaker dominated the fight with his jab, but de la Hoya made more "noise" by throwing lots of power punches. He landed a few but most were glancing blows.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure those highlights were a good representation of the fight. Whitaker dominated the fight with his jab, but de la Hoya made more "noise" by throwing lots of power punches. He landed a few but most were glancing blows.

I think the highlights showed Whitaker's defense and speed slipping punches and getting out of corners with ease.

Also showed Whitaker with the knockdown in the 9th and showed de la Hoya hitting heavier punches.

CompuBox had Whitaker with a huge advantage in jabs 160-45 but de la Hoya had a big advantage in power shots 146-72. As I remember the controversy was more on the size of the victory for de la Hoya. If it was a split decision or all within a round or two, not nearly as much controversy.

Reaction Score
I remember (i think it was HBO) showing how Whitaker would not blink when punches were coming at him, in super slow mo. It was amazing to see, and how he would make guys miss who threw lightning fast combinations at his head.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom