Per-40 stats thru NCAAT round 2 are up | The Boneyard

Per-40 stats thru NCAAT round 2 are up

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
You can download the spreadsheet here.

I don't understand why the UConn guards kept dribbling into sideline traps, that's pretty basic, isn't it? Or why no one came to help when they did. I also don't understand why they almost always started the offense at UCF's pace, walking the ball upcourt.

But I'm not a player -- maybe there are reasons. And the name of this game is survive and advance. They did that.

Onward.

Reaction Score
I couldn't understand why they fell for the sideline trap at all but UCF was quick and they understood Uconn's approach to breaking a press.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You can download the spreadsheet here.
I don't understand why the UConn guards kept dribbling into sideline traps, that's pretty basic, isn't it? Or why no one came to help when they did. I also don't understand why they almost always started the offense at UCF's pace, walking the ball upcourt.
But I'm not a player -- maybe there are reasons. And the name of this game is survive and advance. They did that.
Onward.
Thank you for posting these updates.
The dribbling against the sideline trap is one of the many puzzling, uncharacteristic and inexcusable things about this UCONN team. I believe Azzi had 3 turnovers in this game and although she somewhat got away with it Caroline did something similar earlier in the year. Since Geno has been coaching traps have hardly been an issue regardless of how athletic the opponent was. Past UCONN teams would advance the ball by passing not dribbling , reverse the ball and the help always came from the middle and was usually a post player. Maybe because we had 4 guards on the floor for a significant amount of time and ONO and AE were struggling with fouls but either way there was just way too much dribbling against the UCF press.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
There were the traps to contend with plus it seemed that a few times someone would just stop dribbling without planning their next move. But it's ok, I was never a college player (or even in a college) and I cannot fathom the pressure our guys are under on a daily basis, let alone in the Big Dance.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I don't understand why the UConn guards kept dribbling into sideline traps, that's pretty basic, isn't it? Or why no one came to help when they did.
The two are inseparably related aren't they? As Coco discusses above UConn has been good historically against this tactic by early recognition, good team spacing and passing. Without the options available in a timely manner the person with the ball can inexorably be drawn deeper and deeper into the trap. For the pass to of the trap to be effective the option has to be available and don't see this team as being very good in that skillset. You know from history that Geno knows how to coach it. Why are they not executing now?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I kept thinking, 3 UCF players converge on the ball - doesn't that mean 2 team mates are open? Also what was with the zone offense. Dribbling and passing on the outside when you're not taking a 3 point shot? Pass it to the post player near the free through line and let them shoot or distribute. We were definitely out of sorts the whole game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom