Per-40 stats thru FSU | The Boneyard

Per-40 stats thru FSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Get 'em here.

Not much to say that hasn't been said, but I'll find something ;^)

You should already know Pheese leads most of the per-40 stats.

You may not know Natalie matched Gabby in leading RB/40 and steals/40 and had the second-lowest Empty Posessions/40 on the team. She moved well and gave much hope for the future.

Hope they spend a lot of time practicing rebounding this week. Seemed to me there were a lot of RBs that were lost because the ball bounced off a Husky hand or two before being grabbed by a Seminole.

Also hope they find some quicker players to practice against. There were too many slow, looping, or long passes that should never have been thrown, especially against a defense as active and agile as FSU.

All that being said, I loved the energy, determination and skills on display for most of the game.

It's gonna be a fun season, win or lose.

Reaction Score
Get 'em here.

You may not know Natalie matched Gabby in leading RB/40 and steals/40 and had the second-lowest Empty Posessions/40 on the team. She moved well and gave much hope for the future.

Hope they spend a lot of time practicing rebounding this week. Seemed to me there were a lot of RBs that were lost because the ball bounced off a Husky hand or two before being grabbed by a Seminole.

Also hope they find some quicker players to practice against. There were too many slow, looping, or long passes that should never have been thrown, especially against a defense as active and agile as FSU.

All that being said, I loved the energy, determination and skills on display for most of the game.

One thing early in the game was evident--they thought they were still playing with Morgan or Moriah--they kept swatting the rebound OUT --unintendedly to the opponents. Second quarter there was less swatting out. Butler made a difference in the post--i don't second guess Geno--but if i were coach (God forbid) i would have gone to Butler to score until FSU proved they could stop it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought it was mostly a lack of aggression on the rebounding side - sort of the apparent lack of aggression on 50/50 balls - at least early in the game. Maybe people thinking the game too much and not just playing. That would be how I would describe the change that happened for Chong in the second half - she stopped thinking and started doing.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I thought it was mostly a lack of aggression on the rebounding side - sort of the apparent lack of aggression on 50/50 balls - at least early in the game. Maybe people thinking the game too much and not just playing. That would be how I would describe the change that happened for Chong in the second half - she stopped thinking and started doing.
One thing Chong has always had is a nice offensive game. Injury, confidence, and the crazy talent in front of her has kept her from performing. Now, there is nothing in front of her but breaking down that wall of doubt. The 2nd half is a good first step. Consistency is a better 2nd. Confidence usually eliminates double thinking.

Reaction Score
All this talk about height and rebounding is something that wasn't as bad as you all are making it out to be. Against FSU Uconn had the same number of rebounds as fsu and uconn had more 2nd chance points and more points in the paint then fsu
I thought uconn did pretty well considering it was their first game and gabby and kls were on the bench for most of the first half.

Reaction Score
One thing Chong has always had is a nice offensive game. Injury, confidence, and the crazy talent in front of her has kept her from performing. Now, there is nothing in front of her but breaking down that wall of doubt. The 2nd half is a good first step. Consistency is a better 2nd. Confidence usually eliminates double thinking.
She has to play better defense as well. I re-watched the FSU game tape and she was pretty bad defensively(as was the entire team). Hopefully that will come with getting regular minutes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All this talk about height and rebounding is something that wasn't as bad as you all are making it out to be. Against FSU Uconn had the same number of rebounds as fsu and uconn had more 2nd chance points and more points in the paint then fsu
I thought uconn did pretty well considering it was their first game and gabby and kls were on the bench for most of the first half.
The total rebounds can be a little misleading - the comparison on the respective offensive ends is the concern, and Uconn in the first half was getting manhandled. The second chance points is interesting but speaks more about the 50% to 36% shooting than the rebounding. The fact that FSU didn't get many put-backs shows that Uconn had the inside position most of the time, they just didn't secure the ball because they were: pushed to close to the basket; failed to just quick enough; or were outmuscled for them when they did get their hands on them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She has to play better defense as well. I re-watched the FSU game tape and she was pretty bad defensively(as was the entire team). Hopefully that will come with getting regular minutes.
Defense has long been her Achilles Heel. From day one what has kept her on the bench is her inability to stay in front of the opposing player on defense. She's actually improved in this area, but her lateral movement and anticipation on defense is still poor. But for Geno her offensive talent has always been the clean end of her stick. This is his senior, and he needs that offense. In for a penny.... In order for her to sit Danger would have to come on strong on both ends PLUS whoever is the 2 guard would have to add to the offense.

Reaction Score
Get 'em here.

@JRRRJ,
I don't know about advanced stats. Could you please explain the empty possession concept? That's the only stat on your sheet that confuses me.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
@JRRRJ,
I don't know about advanced stats. Could you please explain the empty possession concept? That's the only stat on your sheet that confuses me.

It's not an advanced stat. It's one I made up myself which represents a differential of the number of times down the floor one team or the other didn't have a chance to get a shot off (came up empty) because of you.

It's calculated simply as steals minus turnovers.

Reaction Score
It's not an advanced stat. It's one I made up myself which represents a differential of the number of times down the floor one team or the other didn't have a chance to get a shot off (came up empty) because of you.

It's calculated simply as steals minus turnovers.
Thanks. I saw how you were calculating it, but the significance escaped me. This explanation makes it clear to my sleep deprived brain. And thanks for doing the spreadsheet. I've always liked the conversion to "per 40 minutes". It's a much better representation of how well one spends their time on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom