per-40 spreadsheet now includes the sad news | The Boneyard

per-40 spreadsheet now includes the sad news

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Download it at the usual place.

Triste and turkey delayed my adding the SC game, but it's done.

No analysis of the play this time -- just two stats tell me the story.

Time of posession in seconds:
Q1: UC - 246 SC - 354
Q2: UC - 237 SC - 363
Q3: UC - 252 SC - 348
Q4: UC - 233 SC - 367

Shots: UC - 50 SC - 67

Hoping for better next time out.

Reaction Score

I don’t know what you are inferring from time of possession since SC had a big advantage all game and yet it was tied after 3 quarters.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

I haven't thought this through fully, but after totaling the huge advantage that SC had in offensive rebounds and turnovers, wouldn't their total number of possessions be more crucial than their total time of possessions? That is, their decisive edge in offensive rebounds and fewer turnovers gave them about 18 more opportunities to score than we did. Am I overlooking something here?

Reaction Score
Well, the only single stat that tells the story is the score. Is TOP a relevant and important stat? I dunno. It is considered important in football where wearing down an opponents defense can result in 4th quarter domination.

So, yeah, keep tracking it but let’s think about how it might or might not matter. Do you expend more energy on defense than offense? Maybe?

Reaction Score
That is, their decisive edge in offensive rebounds and fewer turnovers gave them about 18 more opportunities to score than we did.
Assuming points from free throws and 3 point shots are relatively the same, any team that gets 18 more chances to score is going to win.

Reaction Score
I haven't thought this through fully, but after totaling the huge advantage that SC had in offensive rebounds and turnovers, wouldn't their total number of possessions be more crucial than their total time of possessions? That is, their decisive edge in offensive rebounds and fewer turnovers gave them about 18 more opportunities to score than we did. Am I overlooking something here?
I think you nailed it here. I will just add that once you adjust for number of possessions the seemingly even bigger difference in time of possession can be related to style of play. A team that patiently waits to work it into their bigs like SC will use more time per possession before they shoot.

Time per possession isn't necessarily good or bad. If patience gets you a higher percentage shot it is a good thing, but if you are jacking up a hail mary as the shot clock is expiring because nothing developed earlier, it is a bad thing. Number of possessions on the other hand is clearly the more relevant stat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom