People, let's be real here | The Boneyard

People, let's be real here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we don't make the tournament, it will not be because of some conspiracy theory against UConn, the Committee's bias against the AAC, that they focused on the wrong metrics, that St Mary's or Monmouth deserve it less than UConn, etc, etc. It will be because this team didn't care of business on multiple occasions. Which will include this Friday, as I believe with a win they will be in. It's pretty simple and I think we as fans just need to accept it. As Bill Parcells famously said: "you are what your record says you are." And right now we are a borderline tournament team that can't afford another loss. I for one am fine if we are left out if we lose on Friday....it will be just another in a long line of missed opportunities for this team, which will have no one but itself to blame.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I want a rule change - something like what was done in tennis (and may still be the policy) - past champions automatically get into the tournament.

I believe this policy will be fair until it benefits Duke more than UConn.

Last edited:

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I want a rule change - something like what was done in tennis (and may still be the policy) - past champions automatically get into the tournament.

I believe this policy will be fair until it benifits Duke more than UConn.
Maybe if it is only schools with four or more championships within the past 25 years.

Reaction Score
Deserve has nothing to do with it. The thing is, this applies t the other schools UConn is vying against as well. If UConn loses, it is almost certainly out. BUT, if Cincy wins the conference tourney over Houston....

Well, then. UConn's chances shoot up from almost certainly out to something else. 40% chance of in. Because at that point, UConn will be competing with Tulsa and Temple for the AAC's 2nd bid.

Reaction Score
I'm only focusing on 2 things when watching on Friday b/c to me they are the game changers:

The defensive effort from Hamilton & his decision making on the offensive end.

Fouls called on our big men.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Deserve has nothing to do with it. The thing is, this applies t the other schools UConn is vying against as well. If UConn loses, it is almost certainly out. BUT, if Cincy wins the conference tourney over Houston....

Well, then. UConn's chances shoot up from almost certainly out to something else. 40% chance of in. Because at that point, UConn will be competing with Tulsa and Temple for the AAC's 2nd bid.

Great point about deserve has nothing to do with it, as if other teams on the bubble don't have similar losses.

What makes them deserve it more than us because they lost a low/mid major conference tournament?

Win Friday and I'd be shocked if we were left out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm only focusing on 2 things when watching on Friday b/c to me they are the game changers:

I'm focusing on fouls called on Cinci. If they are allowed unlimited body contact as long as they keep their arms vertical, we are screwed. If UConn shoots 16-20 FTs we win. Less than that we lose.

I went back and looked at the in conference losses. Out of conference we routinely got some calls and shot FTs, even in losses. The exception was Maryland.

Temple: 12 FTs
@Tulsa: 13FTs
Cinci: 8FTs
@Temple: 14FTs (made 13)
@Cinci: 9 FTs
Houston:8 FTs
@SMU: 17FTs

Part of the problem is our offense. In the second half of the season Miller stands on the 3 point line all game. That kills offensive rebounding and hurts our ability to draw fouls. Pound the ball inside against Cinci.

Reaction Score
I'm focusing on fouls called on Cinci. If they are allowed unlimited body contact as long as they keep their arms vertical, we are screwed. If UConn shoots 16-20 FTs we win. Less than that we lose.

I went back and looked at the in conference losses. Out of conference we routinely got some calls and shot FTs, even in losses. The exception was Maryland.

Temple: 12 FTs
@Tulsa: 13FTs
Cinci: 8FTs
@Temple: 14FTs (made 13)
@Cinci: 9 FTs
Houston:8 FTs
@SMU: 17FTs

Part of the problem is our offense. In the second half of the season Miller stands on the 3 point line all game. That kills offensive rebounding and hurts our ability to draw fouls. Pound the ball inside against Cinci.

Yeah we seriously need to attack the rim hard, find those gaps and exploit their big men on slow rotations. We desperately need Purvis, Gibbs, Hamilton or Jalen to at least get to the line 3-4 times. Boneyarders constantly complain about how we miss bunny layups. Half of those are b/c our players are shying away from drawing contact with the defenders who are altering the shots! This is the best FT shooting Uconn team in a while, use it!!

With that noted we still have to play within ourselves and smart. That mind frame approached the wrong way can result in some dumb offensive fouls and kills our momentum and team morale.

I've been bashing Gibbs the entire season, but as a 5th year senior and his last chance to make it to the dance I expect A LOT from him this game. LEAD the team by example and go in hard drawing some contact. Lately he's been doing a decent job at this.

All of this takes Ollie working the refs as well to get some more fouls called so I expect a lot of energy from him on the sidelines as well...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think anybody is claiming that being out of this year's tournament would be a result of a conspiracy against UCONN.

Everyone, to a man, agrees we've had a rough year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Its only on DHam and the refs?
I'd like to see AB, PN, KF and SM grab some rebounds
I'd like to see SG only have the ball as he is driving to the hoop
I'd like to see Omar yanked after he throws up an unforced 3rd three pt shot that misses everything with more than 10 seconds on the play clock
I'd like to see JA play within himself
Finally, I'd like to see UConn score more points than the Cinci team

Reaction Score
IMO, 3 losses that should've been wins hurt us.. both Temple Games and the first Cincy game.. We were up multiple scores with less than 5 minutes to go in each then we faltered on the offensive an.. Something that this team has lacked is a killer instinct late in a game.. We have the talent to make it happen. Just gotta do it... but if they go back and look at tape on the likes of these 3 games alone, it could hurt us. One thing that would cure it all is if we go deep into the AAC tourney... Or just win the whole damn thing, as we are very capable to do.

Reaction Score
There is a big difference between conspiracy and bias. The NCAA is definitely biased against UConn. To not see that requires that one either be an idiot or emotionally weak. ESPN is, in general, biased against UConn too. But are either of them conspiring against UConn? Probably not.

The thing with bias is that it can bite you if you put your destiny in the hands of the biased. By having another crappy regular season, that is exactly what this team has done.

Reaction Score
Its only on DHam and the refs?
I'd like to see AB, PN, KF and SM grab some rebounds
I'd like to see SG only have the ball as he is driving to the hoop
I'd like to see Omar yanked after he throws up an unforced 3rd three pt shot that misses everything with more than 10 seconds on the play clock
I'd like to see JA play within himself
Finally, I'd like to see UConn score more points than the Cinci team

Sure all of those things would be great....

But the 2 major things I'm focused on are what I've listed. I'm not as concerned with our teams ability to execute all of the things you listed. Hamilton's overall play and our big's, in particular Shonn, staying out of foul trouble and on the court are of major concern to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom