OT- Penny Hardaway Quote On Kyvon Davenport | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Penny Hardaway Quote On Kyvon Davenport

Reaction Score
They are students getting an education and playing basketball occasionally...
All the more reason not to humiliate them. Borderline bullying behavior. Treat them like the young men you hope they will become - with respect and how to communicate effectively whether it be with criticism or praise

Reaction Score
It's telling it like it is. Things were a disaster around here and players are finally being held accountable.

As Chief would say, he's letting the "casuals" know what's going on.
Build yourself up by what you accomplish, not by continually bringing up your predecessor and his failures. That is childlike behavior.

Reaction Score
It's telling it like it is. Things were a disaster around here and players are finally being held accountable.

I agree. Does everyone forget the days within the first minute hell, first 30 seconds Calhoun would pull a kid for a foul or dumb mistake? And then practically chew his head off? It wasn't THAT long ago. It's so sad how this program doesn't resemble ANYTHING of what Calhoun built here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Build yourself up by what you accomplish, not by continually bringing up your predecessor and his failures. That is childlike behavior.
You think it's childlike that Hurley talks about changing the culture and teaching the kids the right way to go about doing things?

Not to drag the football board over into this, but hasn't every football coach hired since Randy left, also including Randy this time around, said the same things about culture, the locker room, etc,.? How about other sports, professional included. When a program/organization isn't winning things must change. Coaches are going to talk about those changes. It happens everywhere. To answer your question, no it is not childlike.

Reaction Score
You think it's childlike that Hurley talks about changing the culture and teaching the kids the right way to go about doing things?
Yes I do- the season is almost over - time to move on. Many here are convinced he will get them where they want to be, I'm not so yet. I hope he is successful as I am and have always been a rabid fan. At some point all the talk by fans, media and Hurley about changing culture and teaching kids the right way to do things needs to stop. Hurley needs to take some responsibility instead of continually slamming the kids and Ollie. Why the slow starts to 2nd halves? Why has FT% decreased across the board(except Jalen)? These are legitimate questions. I understand he needs 'his' kids so he has a few years but he needs to show he can recruit big men, which hasn't worked so far. And in my view his X's and O's need to improve.
And yes I saw Calhoun's dressing down of players on the sidelines during the heat of the moment in a game, but Hardaway publically shaming a kid during an interview is just wrong.

Reaction Score
One interest I’ve had in sports is what makes the successful coaches successful. Obviously, Calhoun was a great study. Then you have guys like Geno, Parcells, and Belichick. What’s pertinent to this thread is that when Belichick is interested in a player, he is noted for looking beyond athleticism. Smarts is a biggie, but one of the first things he looks for are players who love the game. I suspect that’s what Hurley’s looking for too: Gym rats

Reaction Score
All the more reason not to humiliate them. Borderline bullying behavior. Treat them like the young men you hope they will become - with respect and how to communicate effectively whether it be with criticism or praise
These are not students in a classroom learning geography. These are high level players playing to win and being coached by their “boss “. The number one reason for MOST players at the top college level is to play ball period. Education is secondary. That’s just the way it is. Anybody who has played organized ball has had their arse given to them at one time or another by their coach. You don’t like it but you suck it up and move on. And by the way , most coaches mentor their players and are like second fathers to them. They teach them life lessons and how to be a man. The public doesn’t hear about this that often. They only see how they act on TV and judge them on that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Penny did the right thing. You have to be candid with negative feedback. The player, ultimately, wants to make the NBA and to do it he needs to hear the negative feedback. First you deliver it privately one-on-one, then privately with several coaches, but if it doesn't sink in you need to deliver it publicly. Then if that doesn't work you need to ask him to leave the program and go somewhere else. To do this is a kindness to the player, it creates the incentives he needs to improve and gain a better life for himself.
obviously you have never coached
You never go public in a disclosure in depth like this
Kindness? LOL

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
They are students getting an education and playing basketball occasionally...
Even more reason to keep it behind closed doors

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And by the way , most coaches mentor their players and are like second fathers to them. They teach them life lessons and how to be a man. The public doesn’t hear about this that often. They only see how they act on TV and judge them on that.

There is plenty of evidence that this was very true for Hurley at URI, and is starting to become the case here. It’s a shame @Kathy is unable to evaluate him objectively because of her disappointment over him taking KO’s place.

Reaction Score
There is plenty of evidence that this was very true for Hurley at URI, and is starting to become the case here. It’s a shame @Kathy is unable to evaluate him objectively because of her disappointment over him taking KO’s place.
None of my concerns about Hueley have anything to do with him taking over for KO. I am over that, unlike many posters who can't stop trashing him. He is gone, get over it and move on. I have. Just call me still not convinced Hurley was the best choice. As far as mentoring, JC was a father figure to many, he never gave up.on someone. All you have to do is look at Murray William's, Caron Butler and Toraino Walker to name a few. Not saying Hurley can't become that, but sometimes a coach has to take responsibility for how the kids respond in games. He has not shown the ability to do that yet.

pj

Reaction Score
obviously you have never coached
You never go public in a disclosure in depth like this
Kindness? LOL

Matthew 18:15-17. Check it out. There's such a thing as tough love, and sometimes it's needed.

Reaction Score
Matthew 18:15-17. Check it out. There's such a thing as tough love, and sometimes it's needed.

So when a kid isn't as dedicated to sports as they should be, that equates to sin?
BTW - tough love doesn't have to be public.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I don't think it's a stretch there are many college athletes going through the motions because they are good more than because they care. Pro athletes too.

It's nearly impossible as a fan to "prove" a specific player is doing it. You suspect it, you to internet message boards and hammer away on the keyboard to prove your point. Maybe even link some videos and break it down.

And it's super rare for a coach to not only call out a player but give point by point examples of how he dogs it. Gives us fans insight and a real life comparison for players on teams for which we root.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
...that is f'kn brutal!! Shoot around will be 10 levels of awkward after that. He roasted that kid.

Three worst things you can say about an athlete:
1) Cheater
2) No heart
3) Doesn't give a damn/quitter

At least he is only a quitter.

Just went back and reread the quote. It's not nearly as bad as is being claimed. In fact, the derailed discussion here, with so many of the usual suspects lining up and clicking Like, and arguing like it's a year ago (while claiming from all sides not to be) is arguably worse.

Nota bene: Rivalry Week was last week.

Reaction Score

OK...last I checked, only one of the 2 has a National Title. Oh, my bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom