Penny for your thoughts | The Boneyard

Penny for your thoughts

Reaction Score
Personally I think it is a fair grade. Although i believe Hurley deserves an A for recruiting as well as he has with NCAA violations and struggles. Losing by 20-30 last year multiple times to keeping it very competitive with a top 10 team. Penny has the edge recruiting but I’ve said this from the very beginning, as with Ollie you can recruit the best players in the country but if you can’t develop them then it means nothing. Wiseman has been known to go hard maybe 2 out of every 10 times but has unreal talent. It’ll be interesting to see who whens the developing battle.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@JohnFSilver gave Hurley a B for his midterm grade in today's newsletter. I think that's fair. I'd probably place him in between the two with a B+.

Reaction Score
As for this year in coaching yes I give Hurley a B+ as well. Transformed this team offensively. But the question I’ve asked myself is that if Ollie was coaching this year what would our record be? Odds are we lose all our non conference major games so we’d be 6-4 which is not that much different. So the jury is still out. I think we finish around 20-11 which garners a B+ grade for Hurley. When he gets his guys in and gets them to play his style better we will see that hire turn into a slam dunk. Very excited when he was talking about a 6’3 Gaffney working under Alterique for a year. Will be fun to see

Reaction Score
B+/A- seems fair overall.

He quickly changed the culture of this program, though perhaps that was the easiest part of the job.

Recruiting looks better so far, but we need to land a top center.

On-court results have been encouraging at times, but we've still only won 1 (out of 4) big games so far. I'd consider it an "incomplete" on instilling basketball IQ and situational awareness, which tends to fall back into old losing habits.

Reaction Score
B+/A- seems fair overall.

He quickly changed the culture of this program, though perhaps that was the easiest part of the job.

Recruiting looks better so far, but we need to land a top center.

On-court results have been encouraging at times, but we've still only won 1 (out of 4) big games so far. I'd consider it an "incomplete" on instilling basketball IQ and situational awareness, which tends to fall back into old losing habits.
Still coaching out years of as he says “losing habits” and I think even if we only land a Wahab or Tre this recuiting class will be a success. We have to earn back top 50 players seeing UConn as a worthy destination. He developed players in a great way at RI often ourpermforming high school rankings. So don’t necessarily believe in his first major recruiting class he needs Kofi or precious. A 3-4 year player might fit his system better

Reaction Score
The letter grade after 10 games depends on so many critierias but what about after the season? This is how I grade the potential results.

If Hurley brings us to the NCAA and has a Top 25 recruiting class it's an A. An A+ if we are in the second weekend.
If he brings us to the NIT with a Top 25 class it's a B+
If he signs a top 25 class without the tourney and NIT but we are competitive throughout the AAC season and beat who we are supposed... a B.

Otherwise, I don't want to think it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Pretty fair overall.

If this is the scenario along with a top 10 class, I will put him at an A- plus.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The letter grade after 10 games depends on so many critierias but what about after the season? This is how I grade the potential results.

If Hurley brings us to the NCAA and has a Top 25 recruiting class it's an A. An A+ if we are in the second weekend.
If he signs a top 25 class without the tourney and NIT but we are competitive throughout the AAC season and beat who we are supposed... a B.

Otherwise, I don't want to think it.
He gets an A+ if he gets a great recruiting class and gets us a winning season. A++ if we make the tourney. These aren’t even his players and he’s doing a great job. Peoples expectations jumped after the Syracuse win

Reaction Score
Anyone giving Hurley a B was not in the proper zip code with their initial expectations and roster assessment.
DIsagree.

I don’t grade on a curve. They have an nba caliber guard in Jalen Adams and talent in the backcourt

They are 1-3 against their best 4 teams. HE’s been good. He has done a terrific job. But I think they outplayed big Arizona. So, he should Be 8-2.

Tough grader, but I have high expectations. And the team is not without talent.

Reaction Score
Hardaway is basically Kevin Ollie as a coach, but more motivated on the recruiting trail. At least what i've seen so far.

Wiseman is indisputably a great get for them, but if it's not in Memphis, we'll see how easy it is for him to get.

Reaction Score
I like simplified grading.

Below standards - No NIT
Approaching expectations - short NIT stay
Meet expectations - NIT run to MSG
Above expectations - tourney team
Well beyond expectations - sweet 16 and beyond ("advanced")

Simple and clear. The Following grades are for this year. Meet expectations or better this year and reevaluate for next year for a new standard for each of the five aforementioned points. I would say next year, meeting expectations is likely to be making the tourney.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hardaway is basically Kevin Ollie as a coach, but more motivated on the recruiting trail. At least what i've seen so far.

Wiseman is indisputably a great get for them, but if it's not in Memphis, we'll see how easy it is for him to get.

Truly, he, and Memphis have really seemed to invest themselves into recruiting.

Reaction Score
Truly, he, and Memphis have really seemed to invest themselves into recruiting.

Local businessmen, from FedEx execs to car dealers, have really bought-in too

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I would say there's a difference between just having 'talent', and having experienced and/or well-coached talent. Coming into the season, we did not have either of those on this team.

Reaction Score
DIsagree.

I don’t grade on a curve. They have an nba caliber guard in Jalen Adams and talent in the backcourt

They are 1-3 against their best 4 teams. HE’s been good. He has done a terrific job. But I think they outplayed big Arizona. So, he should Be 8-2.

I get what you're saying and I'm sure Hurley would share the same sentiments, but it's just not reality. We finished under .500 two years in a row. If we win 20 or 21 regular season games this year it's a job well done. Anything better than that is a miraculous turnaround.

Reaction Score
You might be right. I am giving him a B, but that is probably as low as you could go, and I am a hard grader.

I think it is worth discussion and maybe I was a little too harsh. I trust you guys.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Both PH and KO are pro players with 0 head coaching experience when taking over
yes, PH has recruited well but has an inherent advantage in Memphis with his AAU connections as well as being a native son. You could equip 3 major college teams with talent from that area
I'd give PH nothing higher than a B- He has the talent on the team but the team plays unruly and quite frankly he has no idea what to do when things are turning sour in the court. The team will get better as more skilled players mesh and acclimate simply through attrition and experience I am not at all convinced that PH will be a good college coach
Hurley is a solid B at this point If they beat Arizona, as they should have, I would consider an A-/B+

Reaction Score
You might be right. I am giving him a B, but that is probably as low as you could go, and I am a hard grader.

I think it is worth discussion and maybe I was a little too harsh. I trust you guys.

Stop sucking up to us!

You shoulda come in here guns a’blazen saying “he really deserves a C!”

;)

Reaction Score
Stop sucking up to us!

You shoulda come in here guns a’blazen saying “he really deserves a C!”

;)
Lol.

Don’t need that. I don’t argue to create controversy. If I have a strong position, i’ll Bring the fastball and come out guns blazing. But I am not going to act like some arrogant jerk. When I am right, I will tell you. If I am wavering, i’ll Tell you.

If I am wrong, we’ll make a correction in unreadable fine print.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I trust you guys.

1544848859058.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members