OT: Penn State Volleyball wins 7th time in 9 years | The Boneyard

OT: Penn State Volleyball wins 7th time in 9 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just went final, Penn State beat BYU in 3 sets. This is their seventh title on program history, all in the last 9 years

We right now have 4 of the last 6 titles and as another program who is in the middle of a dynasty, congrats to another.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think they were the overall 4 or 5 seed. They beat #1 seed Stanford in the semis. I forget who BYU beat but that was an upset too in the semis... Still, congrats to them! I think they were led by a bunch of freshmen too, or underclassmen at the least... Their future looks bright!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Congrats to Penn State

BYU was the biggest surprise. They were the first unseeded team to make it to the finals. Led by basketball star Jennifer Hamson

Reaction Score
I think they were the overall 4 or 5 seed. They beat #1 seed Stanford in the semis. I forget who BYU beat but that was an upset too in the semis... Still, congrats to them! I think they were led by a bunch of freshmen too, or underclassmen at the least... Their future looks bright!

BYU defeated #2 seed Texas 3-1 in the semis.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Penn State

BYU was the biggest surprise. They were the first unseeded team to make it to the finals. Led by basketball star Jennifer Hamson
Hamson.. that name sounds familiar. Isn't she like 6-9? BYU really gave us a scare last year in Lincoln NE.

Reaction Score
Hamson is 6-7 and is AA in BB & VB, But, she made 3 critical errors during the last 4 pts of set 2, If that hadn't occured, BYU wins S2 and then...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
PSU (plus Nebraska et al.) has stolen the glory from the Pac-12 teams.

Stanford and USC used to dominate.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's actually their 6th in the last 8, first one was won back in 1999 and they went through a Final Four drought until 2007 and have been unstoppable since. They lose a lot of key pieces next year but return a lot of great hitters so they'll be in the title hunt once again.
As far as a comparison between Uconn and Penn state, the lady couple of Penn Stste titles weren't unexpected, but they were not overwhelming favorites to win the title either year entering the post season like they were a couple of seasons in the late 2000s. Uconn on the other hand was the overwhelming favorite in the late 2000s and is again in the mid 2010s.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Texas is always close but can't get over the hump..

They just won 2 years ago. Texas plays in a weaker conference and seems to consistently underperform (sans 2012) with more talent than anyone else in the nation year after year. They have a mind boggling 9 top 10 recruits on their team and couldn't beat a BYU team with zero. For reference, Penn State this year had 4, and three were freshmen.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
BYU was interesting - we saw them in person as they went through the first 2 rounds here in Tucson.

I saw 2 interesting lessons play out -

- they were not a top 16 team / seeded even though they only had 4 losses, because there really wasn't a lot of steep competition to judge them against (I was told this, I didn't study the matter). So their success was probably even more unexpected.

- I thought they played very aggressive (in a good way) in the 2 games I saw in person and the regional final; I have always thought that one of UConn's secrets as a WBB team has been to play purposeful and aggressive.

I'm not shocked that State Penn won, they are a wonderful team, however, I was rooting (over-all) for Stanford. The only other team in the PAC that I "like" in Volleyball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom