OT- Penn State to get Hammer of Thor Dropped on them | The Boneyard

OT- Penn State to get Hammer of Thor Dropped on them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the CBS source is accurate AND they have never seen anything like this, what could it be?

SMU had a one year death penalty, so is PSU looking at 2 years plus of no football?

If it was me I would hit them with 3-5 years, no TV for 10, no bowls for 10 and 50% reduction in ships for 10. No one will ever allow this to happen again.

Reaction Score
If the CBS source is accurate AND they have never seen anything like this, what could it be?

SMU had a one year death penalty, so is PSU looking at 2 years plus of no football?

If it was me I would hit them with 3-5 years, no TV for 10, no bowls for 10 and 50% reduction in ships for 10. No one will ever allow this to happen again.

On ESPN now too, although they are quoting CBS.

Reaction Score
Good! This culture needs to be destroyed from top to bottom! I will reserve judgement until I find out what "unprecedented" means on Monday. Glad to hear the NCAA is moving quickly however.....

Reaction Score
..."I've never seen anything like it," the source told correspondent Armen Keteyian."

There is already speculation that "unprecedented" does not necessarily mean "severe" - it could just be something "non-traditional" and already agreed to be PSU.

Reaction Score
My reaction to this is threefold.

1. The guy initiating the report is Arman Keteyian, the person who put the pressure on Goodell prior to the punishment for the Patriots on Spygate. Goodell and the media were discussing a Broncos like penalty of a third rounder. So, use the word "unprecedented" and then when sanctions are announced on Monday morning, you create controversy when you realize the punishment is lighter than they hype.

2. No hearing means PSU is already on board with this and the NCAA.

3. The fact that they're not waiting for the September trials that are only 45 days away probably means the sanctions will impact this season (otherwise they would have waited because Curley and Schultz are expected to provide a timeline of discussions during those trials, and obviously they will have to fit into the context of the emails and memos they sent).

So, given that the NCAA has elected not to go through procedure for sanctions in this case, and given the way the NCAA operates, this report is probably just hype.

Prepare to be underwhelmed. Because if the NCAA was truly going to give PSU, say, an unprecedented multi-year death penalty, they would have waited until after the trials. No way they punish PSU that severely without a hearing or without more discovery. I'm not saying they don't have enough to punish PSU now--they do. I am saying they would wait 45 days to become 99.9% certain. After all, they took forever in the UConn case just to hear more evidence on phone calls. The last thing the NCAA wants to do now is get itself into a situation, as with Patrick Sellers, where it admits to punishing a person or entity when it doesn't have all the evidence or when evidence contradicts earlier conclusions.

That's why--if there's an announcement Monday--I expect it to be a whitewash, and then you'll see lots and lots of media anger.

Reaction Score
..."I've never seen anything like it," the source told correspondent Armen Keteyian."

There is already speculation that "unprecedented" does not necessarily mean "severe" - it could just be something "non-traditional" and already agreed to be PSU.

personally i'm surprised they'd be levying a penalty so early in the process, which leads me to believe it's something PSU is amicable too, and likely not that severe. something more along the lines of the college equivalent of community service

Reaction Score
Keep in mind PSU funded and agreed to the Freeh report, in the grand scheme of things they have already admitted to the findings. Tough to fight an internal review you sponsored.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind PSU funded and agreed to the Freeh report, in the grand scheme of things they have already admitted to the findings. Tough to fight an internal review you sponsored.

45 days until the trials though. The Freeh report gave about 5 emails and memos and didn't use any connective tissue. They could wait 45 days. Most reporters on Twitter are asking, "What's the rush?" Given the NCAA's glacial normal pace, you have to really wonder.

Reaction Score
Not sure, but if true the NCAA better issue a statement clarifying ASAP or else it will be an S storm.

I think the reason we don't think it will be as severe as it should be is because the quickness of the NCAA to announce penalties. If the penalties were as severe as many would like, the NCAA would not be so quick, IMO, to dish it out.

Reaction Score
personally i'm surprised they'd be levying a penalty so early in the process, which leads me to believe it's something PSU is amicable too, and likely not that severe. something more along the lines of the college equivalent of community service

Ummm... Maybe not. "“@schadjoe: Penn State sanctions expected to be extremely harsh and could even be perceived as more damaging long-term than "death penalty"”.

Another report is saying that these punishments (my words) were not negotiated or self imposed. Gonna be an interesting Monday morning.

Reaction Score
There's no doubt PSU and the NCAA collaborated on this given the timing. What leads me to believe that this could be a very severe set of sanctions and not a whitewash is the overwhelming reaction created by the Freeh Report. I thought that report pretty much confirmed what had already been understood to have been the case. Boy was I wrong! It unleashed hell's furry. And the upcoming trials will simply do more of the same. Goodness knows what could come out of that testimony.

PSU needs to get this under control for the sake of the entire institution, not just the football program. And the NCAA desperately needs to get this under control as well. I'm probably all wet, but I think one of the best ways to do that is to keep PSU's football team off the field this season. We'll see.......

Reaction Score
Steven A Smith is going off on Sportscenter right now, saying anything short of the death penalty is not enough. Preview of what's to come...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Gee, if it's bad enough, maybe they'll want to join the Big East.

Reaction Score
If they are going to suspend PSU's season this year, I feel terrible for those players (not for the institution). Makes me even more angry at the people who did nothing while that monster was doing what he was doing. The kids won't have time to transfer to another school.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They can't possibly be stupid enough to cancel this season.

Reaction Score
They can't possibly be stupid enough to cancel this season.

I hear severe sanctions, and that is what comes to mind. I hope for the sake of the players who had nothing to do with this, that they do not. If something like that were to happen, the kids should be given enough time to transfer.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day it comes down to money. PSU covered up Sandusky's crimes to save brand and protect cash flow. Any PSU decision now will be how to protect revenue. Give a little now and save down the road. Just my opinion, but I believe a large and vocal minority in the PSU community believe this to be a bump in the road. When reading public comments from board members, boosters and the fan base at large, it's blind allegiance. But smarter financially focused leaders will take charge. That's why the statue came done today.

When the games begin , each away PSU event will bring protests, it could be 100's, thousands or one person. There will be conflict, especially with a fanatical fan base mixed teenagers and alcohol. The constant chants at away games will be broadcast around the country. PSU need to go away for a while, pay their dues and become humble.

When the civil suits begin it will be big news each time. I hope these suits consume a large portion the current endowment fund. That's when it will sink in. It's all about money. That all they ever cared about.

Reaction Score
If PSU plays this season it will be a PR nightmare. Even if they don't play on TV, ESPN is going to focus on that team while those trials are going on. PSU and the NCAA are going to come off in an awful, awful light. It will be terrible. Lot's and lot's of innocent folks will be hurt if the season is called off, but in the long run it might actually be the best thing. This thing needs to die down and as long as PSU is in the news it won't. PSU football keeps PSU in the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom